It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

VanB HB User
No period after stopping birth control pill

Hello,

I had been on a low-dose birth control pill for 7 years and recently went off of it. I had a period from Dec. 12th - 16th. It has now been over five weeks and I have yet to see my period. I took a pregnancy test yesterday and it was negative. I had completely regular periods before going on the pill. I have been experiencing swollen, tender breasts and cramps on and off. Has anyone else experienced this?

The Following User Says Thank You to VanB For This Useful Post:
Kay2 (04-02-2012)
Old 01-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: No period after stopping birth control pill

It's not uncommon. I was regular before going on the pill. My first period after stopping the pill came 35 days later...the 2nd 30 days...then pretty much every 27 days. Some women go a few months before getting a period again after stopping the pill. But if you're beginning to get cramps and sore boobs...maybe that's a sign of PMS and your period will be here soon. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
(female)

VanB HB User

Thanks. My husband and I really want to start a family. I really wish that health practitioners were more forthcoming with this information. I was never informed that I could have issues with irregularity after going off the pill. I'm beginning to regret going on it in the first place. I'm really freaking out.

Last edited by VanB; 01-17-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

So, the good news is that what you are experiencing is totally normal and usually the case for women who quit the pill. It can take from six months to a year to get your REAL period to come back after you quit the pill. I agree with you that they should have been WAY more forthcoming when first prescribing the pill to you instead of OUTRIGHT LYING TO YOU about the fact that it can cause a crapload of side effects both while you're on and then when you try to go off. It's all a big scam.

Personally, I did a ton of research just before quitting the pill to find out what may or may not happen. I really didn't like what I read, at all. It convinced me that the pill is poison, and really quite honestly women should not use it at all. Or any fake hormones for that matter. If you do some research on the net yourself, you'll see what a seriously widespread problem you have, because it happens to so many women when they quit the pill. I've read that for some women it's been 10 months and they still have no sign of their period. It's insanity!

You should probably go visit an endocrinologist to get your hormone levels tested if you still don't have a period after 6 months. You know you're not ovulating if you're not having a period. However, you won't know for sure if you're ovulating just because you have a period. So if you consult with an endo doc, they might at least be able to tell you where you're at with your hormone levels so you can find out how far out of control they are due to pill use.

I'm sorry you are going through this. It's an unfortunate side effect that they should tell their patients about, but NEVER do. I have yet to see a woman come on this board or any of the others I'm on and say that they were told this was a potential complication of having been on hormonal BC.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
(female)

VanB HB User

Thank you so much for all of the advice. I really appreciate it.

Well, the good news is that I got my period this morning. I just hope that my body is able to continue to regulate itself. I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to go back on the pill. What is the best method of birth control other than just condoms?

Last edited by VanB; 01-18-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I use fertility awareness method (FAM). There's a book called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" that you should buy or borrow from the library if you're interested in FAM. Really, there's only about a week of every month (though more practically 3 or 4 days) when a woman is most fertile. You chart your waking basal body temperatures every morning and you can identify when you ovulate based on a jump to higher temperatures (caused by progesterone in the 2nd half of your cycle). You also monitor cervical mucus and cervical position to track your fertility. It involves some work, but not much and it's completely natural. During your fertile time, you either abstain or use a barrier method like condoms. I've really found FAM quite fascinating, and when you're ready to start a family, you will know how to identify the best days of your cycle when trying to conceive. There are some websites online that let you chart basal temps. for free, you can google fertility awareness method and free charting online and find a site to chart. The one I use is really for women trying to conceive, but it suits the purpose, or you can chart in Excel or on paper.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
(female)

VanB HB User

I'm definitely going to get that book, it's been recommended on other websites as well.

I've been tracking my BBT and this is currently day 20 of my cycle and no sign of ovulation yet. I'm hoping it's just late because my body hasn't regulated itself yet. Is it possible to get a normal period after going off the pill and then not get one again for a few months or so?

Old 02-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Yes, I've read on other websites that women have reported having a normal period or two but then nothing for a while and then somewhat back to normal. That does happen.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
(female)

VanB HB User

Thanks so much for your help. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that my period returns this month and becomes regular again. I ordered that book, I can't wait to read it!

Old 02-06-2007, 06:32 AM   #10
(female)

VanB HB User

Well, my temperature was even lower this morning. I'm just concerned because I've heard that a woman's periods can be irregular for quite a long time after coming off of the BCP and I want to get pregnant as soon as possible. I had very regular periods before going on the pill and I don't have any medical problems (that I'm aware off). Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

Maybe the low temp. is a good sign that your body is gearing up to ovulate? Sometimes I have a dip before ovulation. Have you been having any eggwhite cervical mucus? What are your temps. like? Too low and it could mean you have a thyroid problem. I think "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" mentions that consistent basal body temps. lower than 97 degrees F before ovulation and not higher than 97.5 or so after ovulation could indicate a thyroid issue. However, I did have a dip to 96.77 the day I ovulated last cycle, but all my other pre-O temps were above 97 and post-O above 98.

Have you tried taking Vitex (chaste tree berry or agnus cactus)? I started it just off the pill and noticed it moved up my ovulation quite significantly. I used to ovulate after day 20, the first cycle it moved it to day 17, the next month day 13, and I've been ovulating at day 13 ever since. Many women have success with Vitex spurring on ovulation. It might or might not work for you but it's worth a try. I buy mine from GNC and take 1000 mg daily throughout my cycle, and I'm sure there are also places you can buy it online.

Failing that, if your cycle drags on too long, you can see your doc and get Prometrium to start a period. Have you been checked for PCOS? That can delay ovulation and so can thyroid problems. It might not hurt to at least get your thyroid checked because I know being on the pill can have some effect on your thyroid so it makes since going off it might do the same. Good luck! I hope you ovulate soon!

Last edited by livinTX; 02-06-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
(female)

not2late HB User

Hi, I went off of BCP in April 2006 and did not get my period again until November 2006 and haven't gotten it again since... my doctors still say that up to one year is in the normal range after stopping bc, and even after you do get your period it might not be regular again for a while depending on how screwed up your hormones are

Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #13
(female)

VanB HB User

The lowest BBT I recorded this month was 97.01 and the highest was 97.43. I had my thyroid tested during a physical a few years ago and it was fine. I don't have any other symptoms of PCOS. My CM yesterday and today was creamy, not eggwhite. I'm just wondering how likely it is that I have anything wrong since I did have a normal period within 6 weeks of going off the pill. Is that a positive sign?

I'm going to buy Vitex tonight. Thanks!

Last edited by VanB; 02-06-2007 at 12:07 PM.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #14
(female)

VanB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2late View Post
Hi, I went off of BCP in April 2006 and did not get my period again until November 2006 and haven't gotten it again since... my doctors still say that up to one year is in the normal range after stopping bc, and even after you do get your period it might not be regular again for a while depending on how screwed up your hormones are

That's awful. Maybe you should try Vitex too. I'll let you know if it works for me.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
(female)

VanB HB User

I went to a health food store yesterday and bought Vitex. The owner told me not to take it during my period. She told me to start it after my period ends and then stop it the day I get my period. Does that sound right?

Last edited by VanB; 02-07-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Closed Thread