It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
(female)

Keilana HB User
Looking for help on choosing a good birth control.

I was put on Depo Provera in early December and it's been nothing but trouble for me.

In early January I started bleeding, not a lot but just a little. And now everytime I use the restroom and wipe there is always a little blood. It's not an official period, but there's just a little blood.

Also, I looked up one of the side effects of Depo and there is severe weight gain. I'm about 175 lbs and I also read that any birth control can be diluted in women over 150 lbs and the risk of getting pregnant increases. Since December I've gained about 10 lbs.

My next appointment for the shot is at the end of the month and I want to be taken off Depo but I also am looking for a birth control that can contribute to weight loss. I was looking at Yasmin but I don't know. If anyone has any information it'd be greatly appreciated.

-Kei

Last edited by Keilana; 02-06-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
(female)

LadyMirabelle HB User
Re: Looking for help on choosing a good birth control.

I also read that low-dose pills, or pills with less than 35mcg of estrogen are generally not recommended for women over 155lbs, because of decreased effectiveness...however, it also has to do with being overweight, because it has to do with your metabolism -- so if you are a reasonably healthy weight for your height, it may be alright. You should discuss it with your doctor.

Also, no hormonal birth control method is guarunteed not to make you gain weight. Just as many people lose weight as those who gain weight on any given pill. And plenty of people stay the same. The only birth control method that has been *proven* to cause weight gain is the Depo shot. The Depo shot is also connected to loss of bone density with extended use, and is generally considered to be a risky choice for long-term use.

An IUD may also be a good choice. A non-hormonal, copper IUD would likely not cause any weight gain because there would be no hormones... I think that weight gain is often linked to the estrogen in a pill (though not always), so the hormonal IUD may be another option to talk to your doctor about.

There are plenty of options for you, and unfortunately, sometimes it takes some trial and error to find a pill that is right for you. I had to try several pills before I found one that I really liked.

Best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
(female)

Keilana HB User

Anyone else with advice?

Old 02-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Instead of relying on a pill, you should pick up a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility, which will teach you about the FAM (Fertility Awareness Method). It's a completely natural method of birth control by which you track your daily temp using a basal thermometer and check the status of your cervical mucus to determine where you're at in your cycle. By using this method, you will be more in tune with your body than you have ever been, and even better, you won't be relying on pills that cause horrible side effects.

I've been using FAM since I quit the pill last summer, and I've been very pleased. I feel like for the first time, I have a really excellent understanding of my ovulation and my yearly exam with my gyne is way more productive.

Closed Thread