It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 05:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vintagegirl HB User
Guilted by Gyno when I said I didn't want to take the pill....

I went to the doc yesterday to discuss my infrequent periods...(40-50 days between). I have had normal cycles (24-28 days) all my life. I don't know how to describe it...I found him very condescending. He said I was using the Cathloic bc method and that I would end up with a bunch of kids like his friend? I felt like saying, has your friend had Type 1 diabetes since childhood? I'm quite sure that has affected my fertility. He started talking to me as if I were stupid because I've never been on them. I reminded him that I've been successful with natural methods for 16 years! I told him my concerns about my boobs getting bigger or weight gain with the pill....I am already a DD (which I can't stand) and happy with my weight. He didn't seem to care. Why would he also prescribe them before we looked at my thyroid and hormone test results??? That doesn't make sense to me. 20 days of constant breast pain needs to be investigated, not blamed on fluctuating hormones or stress. Then he started lecturing me about going to the tanning bed. Hello, I am 36 and use self tanning cream. I look young for my age, but what does the tanning bed have to do with your Little Sister? I left with 3 sample boxes of Yaz, feeling like I wanted to cry. Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: Guilted by Gyno when I said I didn't want to take the pill....

I'm sorry you had such a lousy experience at the gyno. Mine was the same way; only I just told him I used condoms for birth control as I was sure that I would get a lecture on how FAM is not a reliable method of birth control.

I also wanted my gynecologist to test my hormone levels because I feel something is off since I quit the pill almost 9 month ago (it felt off before I quit the pill actually). My periods are now extremely light (never this way pre-pill), I have nausea from AF to ovulation every cycle, and I don't seem to really get PMS but I'm extremely moody around ovulation, and I have water retention in my legs that I feel is caused by hormonal imbalance (urinalysis, thyroid, blood pressure, is all fine). I suspect I have low progesterone (especially because my luteal phases right off the pill were very short and keep lengthening each cycle) and/or high estrogen. He would not listen. First, he denied that the pill could have such side effects or cause hormonal imbalance. Then, he offered to prescribe me Yasmin or Yaz or Nuva Ring or Ortho-Tricyclen Lo. When I told him the pill caused me to feel depressed, he said, Oh you must have PMDD. I could prescribe you an SSRI to help with that! I was seeing red by the time I left.

If you suspect you have hormonal imbalances, could you try an endocrinologist to get your hormones checked? That is what I am doing next month. Hopefully, I won't have to hear the endo extoll the virtues of the pill.

FAM does work, and it is obvious you have no difficulties with it. An article was published in the journal "Human Reproduction" this past week I believe, that described a study of FAM (they called it sympto-thermal method but it is the same thing) in Germany. The conclusion was that FAM when practiced correctly, has a failure rate as good as the pill. You should go to a university with computer access to the journal and print it out and mail it to your gyno! There was a blurb about the story on MSNBC. Personally, I believe most pregnancies on FAM come from intentionally breaking/bending the rules, not temping at a consistent time or with not enough sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

vintagegirl HB User

When does the luteal phase take place? The time between the end of my period and ovulation is normal....it just takes forever after that for my period to arrive.

I have all the estrogen dominance symptoms while waiting. You read my mind about going to an endo. What's held me back is the excess cost/new patient charges. Highway robbery. Oh well........I laughed when you suggested mailing that article to him. So sick of these gyno quacks waving off every female problem with the pill. There's no such thing as a magic bullet, for ANY health problem.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

I know how you feel girl! I encountered the same thing when I went to my gyn . She wanted to put me back on the Pill when my body couldn't seem to produce a period very often on my own. I said the same things, "But they make me depressed and fat." I got the same offer of being put on an anti-depressant. Since when do all the answers lead to more pills???
After I went off the Pill in y 30's I started having hot flashes, couldn't sleep, gained weight, and my hair started falling out, and my periods were nonexistent or very light. I asked to have some hormonal tests done, and she said all were within normal range. But when I looked at the results myself, I noticed I was on the minimum of a very broad range spectrum. I did the controversial saliva test on my own, and the results came in very low for progesterone. I use a natural progesterone creme now with the dosage for peri-menopause. Now my periods are regular, and most of my bad side effects have gone away.
You are a grown woman, you know your body. Most women by their 30's that are fairly in tune with their bodies can tell exactly when they are ovulating ( I know I can). I don't see why FAM with condoms wouldn't work. Most doctors have been brain-washed by the pharmaceutical companies. They don't make any money off of natural planning and natural hormones, so they must not work!!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

Vintagegirl,

The luteal phase is the time between ovulation and your period. It is supposed to be about the same each month in a particular woman (usually 10-16 days long). My luteal phase was 8, 10, 9 days long in the beginning and every month now adds a day or 2; last month, it was 15 days long, but I think I still have issues with progesterone/estrogen. If your luteal phase is less than 10 days, you have a luteal phase defect (probably due to low progesterone), around 10 days is borderline for a LPD, but you can have low progesterone and a normal length luteal phase too.

The reason I suspect I have low progesterone is this water retention I have always gets better during the LP, when progesterone is dominant. I swear I can feel the fluid moving around in my legs, especially during the LP. I know the water retention is something hormonal; it got really bad on Ovcon 35 then my gyno switched me to Loestrin, and the first 5 days on Loestrin, the water retention completely went away before starting to come back, which leads me to highly suspect one of the hormones in the pill has thrown my body out of whack. It is much better since stopping the pill, and I have some improvement every month (I have lost 12 lb.), but it is super slow to go away. I actually notice I feel better during my LP--less water retention, better mood and worst around the time I ovulate (when estrogen in the body peaks).

I hope it won't cost too much at the endo and that my insurance will pick up the tab (hopefully it will), but my husband told me he just wants me to feel better and we will afford it if the insurance refuses to pay, but hopefully they will cover it as I do have a physical symptom--the water retention in my legs is quite obvious to anyone looking at them closely.

Good luck to you!

P.S.

You really SHOULD find and print out that article and mail it to your gyno with an "I told you so!" note!

Last edited by livinTX; 02-27-2007 at 08:33 AM.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

vintagegirl HB User

What are the normal ranges for FSH and LH tests? This gyno is such an ego, he will probably tell me that they're normal---even if they're on the higher end. I want to go in prepared.

As for the luteal phase...that is where I have ALL my issues. I'm usually very depressed around the time I ovulate...but I look my best...no water weight or breast fullness. (I think it's so sneaky of the body to make you look your best and feel your horniest simply to perpetuate the human race...and to hell with you the rest of the month!)

After ovulation, I just swell up like a balloon and my boobs kill me. I don't feel depressed, but I am so uncomfortable. The pain will subside the day before my period...but it takes a good 2 weeks after that for my body to shrink back to size. My bf says he can't tell any difference in the way I look, but my bras will not fit.

My period is averaging 16-22 days out from ovulation. What does that mean?
My period then comes anywhere between day 44 and 50 of my entire cycle. I can't believe that doctor said nothing about that, it hardly seems normal!!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

vintagegirl HB User

cin1812, did you mean to say that if your luteal phase is MORE than 10 days, you may have LPD? I'm confused!

Old 02-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Vintage, go to another doctor. And tell the new doctor why you're looking for a new one.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

If your luteal phase is 10 days or less, you have LPD due to low progesterone, but you can still have low progesterone and a normal length luteal phase. Also, if you have a lot of spotting in the LP (more than 1-2 days of spotting), you likely have low progesterone. LPD is actually controversial; some docs don't believe it exists. It really comes into play for women trying to become pregnant. A luteal phase of less than 10 days makes it more difficult though not impossible for implantation to occur. Implantation usually occurs around 5-12 days past ovulation, but if you have low progesterone, it is also possible that the uterine lining isn't developing properly for an embryo to implant. In my case, I feel either low progesterone or high estrogen is causing me to have water retention issues.

On the other hand, you can have high progesterone which sounds like it could be a problem for vintagegirl as the LP usually is 10-17 days in most women. It is rare to have a much longer LP. In fact, "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" suggests that 18 days of high temperatures after ovulation usually means you are pregnant. There are cases when it does not mean this, but in normal women, this is usually the case.

I agree, vintage, either find a new gyno or see an endocrinologist. It sounds like you definitely need to have your hormone levels tested!

Last edited by livinTX; 02-27-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

vintagegirl HB User

What can be done to balance out high progesterone? You guys have been such a help--thank you!!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

vintage,

You first should have your hormones tested to see for certain what the levels are. You don't want to self-medicate, and none of us are medical professionals here. It could even be a problem with your thyroid or something causing your other hormones to get out of whack, so you definitely want to get them tested.

They usually test LH, FSH, prolactin and estradiol on cycle day 3. Progesterone levels are usually tested midway through the luteal phase--7 days past ovulation if your LP is 14 days, 8 DPO if your LP is 16 days, 6 DPO if your LP is 12 days.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

vintagegirl HB User

I got the FSH, thyroid and prolactin yesterday...it would have been day 13 of my cycle. Not what you specified...so does this mean the test results will be inaccurate? That sucks, because I'd hate to pay for them and have inaccurate results because the stupid doctor had me do them on the wrong day. The doctor also said there was "no way to test for progesterone." ??

Old 02-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

LH is sometimes also tested during the LH surge shortly before O but to know this, you usually have to use OPKs diligently and then go in when you have a positive one. I think it is most standardized for them to test these hormones as close to cycle day 3 as possible and progesterone at halfway through the LP. I think you def. need a new doc. Possibly they can interpret the results knowing that you are on day 13 of however long your cycle is, but I'm pretty certain the standard is for day 3.

Closed Thread