It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
(female)

waxandwane0 HB User
scared about using BC

Hi, I'm 19, new to oral contraceptives, but after a few "accidents" (condom breaking, thus ECP), my doctor suggested that I go on the pill. I thought it would be a good idea, because the ECPs put my period on whack and the condom breaking was getting annoying.

But, I didn't do my research very well on the Internet, I only went to a contraceptives info class at my college and then went to my doctor, who prescribed Yasmin for me, saying that this was (in her opinion) the one with the least side effects.

After I started googling Yasmin, this was when I started to get really scared - not just mood swings as I thought but MAJOR depression and anxiety problems, fatigue, a lot of libido decrease and lack of wetness, as well as those people who had blood clots are starting to really scare me. I'm not a smoker, but my boyfriend is, so I'm scared if that'll affect me as well. (He tries not to smoke in front of me when possible, b/c I hate it)

I'm supposed to start this Sunday, but now I'm getting some second thoughts about this...can anyone reassure me? I don't want to go on the pill if I become an emotional-psychopath or I lose my sex drive a lot...(my bf says my drive is pretty big though )

I did talk to my doctor about some of the concerns I had about side effects and she told me to try it out and we would have an appointment in 3 months to see how it goes..

Last edited by waxandwane0; 03-09-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: scared about using BC

Well, give it a try and see how it goes. The good thing about the pill is that you can just quit taking it if you really don't like it. Unlike with the Depo shot where you have to wait for 3 months for it to go out of your system.

Anyway, women have different reactions to different pills and you really don't know how you'll react until you take it. They say you should give it 3 months to give your body a chance to get used to it, but if your side effects are really unbearable, there's no reason to keep taking it and torturing yourself.

Just give it a try and see what happens. You may be ok, at least for a little while. But make sure you keep attuned to what's happening to your body so you can identify if something weird happens and you'll know it's pill related.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
(female)

waxandwane0 HB User

thanks a lot..actually I'm planning on taking a break on the pill during summer vacation (my parents don't know about this and I don't know how I will hide from their hawklike, very concerned for daughter-ish eyes if I start taking meds), so I have another 3 months to see how life is without the pill.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

Just pay very close attention to your body. Some of the side effects like loss of libido and dryness and depression (especially depression & moodiness) tend to creep up over time so that you don't even connect them with the pill. Some women notice moodiness right away that doesn't improve. It just depends on the individual.

I had more side effects on some pills than others, but almost all of them killed my libido and sex drive; I just don't think there is a good pill out there that won't decrease the sex drive. But the other side effects--you may experience them or you may not and remember that it can creep up over time so that you don't even associate it with the pill.

Last edited by livinTX; 03-09-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Closed Thread