It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

sirkirsten HB User
Re: Loestrin 24 Fe--Lots of questions!

Glad to have found this board!

Loestrin is my first BC pill- i'm not sexually active, but getting married in June and just wanted something to control birth. I was having no problems with my period or health before- just wanted a birth control.

I started taking it in the beginning of February on the Sunday after my period. No problems, period ran it's course. During the second week of pills, I had spotting/breakthrough bleeding for about 5 days. The rest of the time, everything was normal. During the placebos, I got my period, it was fine. This pack, which I started in the beginning of March, has also be fine, except I started breakthrough bleeding/spotting yesterday. The placebos start on the 28th and I have a feeling I might keep spotting until then.

It's only me second month so I think the spotting will probably get better after the third or fourth. It's just an annoyance, really. Other than that, I haven't noticed any side effects. At first, I think I may have had an increase in libido. I haven't noticed a decline, anyway. I have had very little breast tenderness, though I have noticed some breast growth. I also told my ob/gyn that I get a lot of headaches so the told me to take the Loestrin at night. Headaches haven't gotten better (obviously) but they haven't gotten worse, either. I don't feel depressed or anything. I'm stressed with wedding planning, so I really can't blame the BC for making me feel overwhelmed at times.

Has anyone else had breakthrough bleeding at first which eventually stopped? I know it can take a while, especially for someone who has never been on BC before. I just want to know if there is an end in sight for this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
Re: Loestrin 24 Fe - breakthrough bleeding

I can't really answer you from experience, because I'm about at the same place as you are. However, I hear many people stop the problem - and indeed, end up with no periods - after some time.

I myself am on my 3rd month of Lo24. Before that I was on "regular" dosage BC pills for 2 years. No problems - APPARENTLY - from that (there is suspicion about my GI problems of the last year - 1 of the main reasons I asked to switch to lower dosage).

But I had MAJOR "breakthrough" bleeding on the 1st month of Lo24, starting in the 2nd week and going through my period.

Weird, I had NO breakthrough bleeding my 2nd month.

Now, on my 3rd, I am having probably classic breakthrough - again, started in my 2nd week, a bit later than before. But it has literally been spotting.

Now, I had MAJOR horrific GI problems in my 1st month, which I strongly am convinced were because of my new BC pill. So far beyond that I haven't had those symptoms/manifestations.

But I'm also having other things crop up - never before - that make me suspect it may be the Lo24 (breast/armpit area PAIN, pass-out feelings, etc). I'll see in following months, I guess. Although, maybe not, because I'm stopping the pill to try to get pregnant soon. But then, if everything just goes away, that may indeed indicate the Lo24 was causing alot!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
(female)

greeneyedgirl18 HB User

I have been taking Loestrin 24 fe for about 8 months now and this is also my first experience with any bcp. For the first month, the only real change that I noticed was that I was dead tired. Everything else seemed fine. Oddly, in the middle of January (about mid pack for me) I had breakthrough bleeding. I thought it was weird since I was taking it for a few months by that point, but it lasted a week and a half, and then everything was back to normal. I always take my pill in the morning after I have breakfast, (I've heard that taking it with a meal reduces the chances of having an upset stomach). So far, so good!

My period was short to begin with, but now with the Loestrin I get my period Thursday night and it's usually gone by Saturday night/Sunday morning. Since it's my first bcp experience I don't really have anything to compare it to, but all in all I'm pretty happy with it!

Old 03-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
(female)

LadyLuckAce HB User

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this message board but I'm so glad that I found it--I have so many questions about Loestrin 24 Fe. My doctor just started me on it, and I'd never been on birth control before. I am sexually active and using condoms, so I'm really not concerned about pregnancy, but my doctor felt that my period was irregular and decided to try me on it.

My periods skip around different dates every month, but when it does come, it only lasts 5 days from start to finish--like clockwork. I got my period last Tuesday, and was expecting it to be finished on Saturday. I also started taking Loestrin 24 Fe last Tuesday. Well, unfortunately, I haven't stopped bleeding for a week. I think my period's over? But everytime it stops and I think it's all done, surprise surprise! There's blood. And not the brownish kind that indicates the lovely end to the period, it's fresh bright red (not cool).

I had no idea what this was, but through reading, I'm now realizing that it's the breakthrough bleeding (I dunno how this is a breakthrough, it sucks!). About how long does this last? I'm afraid to have sex with my boyfriend because I've never experienced this kind of spontaneous bleeding. I know it's supposed to *shorten* your period after a few cycles, but am I going to be bleeding daily for 5 months? I feel like I'm bleeding to death!

So here are my main questions:

--How long does it take for this spotting to stop? (I just started week 2 of my pack today)
--Can I still have sex even with the spotting?

Please help!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
(female)

hollyjlynn HB User

I am also not sexually active and getting married in june, but I really wish my experience was more like yours!!

I am on the last week before the placebo of my second pack right now. I have been having TERRIBLE breakthrough bleeding. I have always had very painful cramps that lasted about 2 days. I started bleeding and the cramps last thursday and the pain has gotten worse every day and the bleeding is just as heavy if not more heavy than my normal period. I am now on day 5 of bleeding and terrible pain.

My wedding is june 7th and I am so scared that the breakthrough is going to happen again for the wedding and honeymoon. Both breakthrough times have been around the middle of the pack which is when my wedding will fall on.

I don't know what to do. My doctor says ANY pill birth control will have breakthrough bleeding for the first 3 months, but this just doesn't seem right. Its not spotting, thats for sure. Its WORSE than my regular period. However, at the same time I am worried that if i do switch to something stronger maybe, that it might be worse? I don't know...

I just don't want to be miserable and sick through my whole wedding and honeymoon...and my doctor doesn't give me very clear direction as to if there are any other options. She told me the nuvaring thing would be less likely for breakthrough bleeding, but i just feel weird about having that in there and such...

would it be a bad idea to switch this late in the game since my first month on something different would be the month of the wedding or just pray that this is the last month of bad cramps and bleeding on loestrin. I have read so many things about loestrin and lots of bleeding so it makes me think its gonna be like this next month too....

PLEASE HELP, I feel so helpless and clueless.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
(female)

melissa36 HB User

Hello Everyone~
I am new to this message board and glad I have found it.
I have been on Loestrin 24 FE for 2 months now. I HATE it! I have had breakthrough bleeding each month for about 6 days. Not just spotting but major bleeding and cramping. I also have terrible mood swings right around that time too. I know it's only my second month and I should give it more time but I am so sick of having my period twice a month for about 5-6 days at a time. Very inconvenient.

I was on Triphasi 28 for about 5 years previously and am going to ask my doctor for a prescription for that. I have heard it has been discontinued though. Does anyone know?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
(female)

melissa36 HB User

Hi~
I would recommend switching to another pill when you are finished your second month. I have the same side-effects as you and I can't take it another month. I don't agree that all pills cause breakthrough bleeding the first three months. I was on Triphasil 28 in the past, which was wonderful , no cramps, mood swings or breakthrough bleeding. I am switching back to that. Good luck!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
(female)

purplebugx HB User

Im almost at the end of the pack of my third month. So far I do like the Loestrin 24. I did have that breakthrough bleeding this month. It lasted 8 days, for about 3-4 days i did bleed a little but more, but it was not heavy nor did I cramp. Then i would spot durning the day, then it was werid because at night there wouldnt be one spot. Then I get going in the morning and I would start to spot again. It was on and off..lol But that is the only thing I can complaine about. Oh, and this is the first time I have been on bc, so this is my experience.

Closed Thread