It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User
BC and Ankle Pain/Swelling

Has anyone experience ankle swelling/pain while on birth control? I don't remember if it is an indicated side effect (like if it is mentioned among all the other issues on the pamphlets), but lately I have had strange pain in my ankles and my ankles/feet feel heavy and look swollen. (Get worse as the day progresses)
Last year I remember when my ankles were visibly swollen and I went to my regular doctor and he couldn't figure it out - thought maybe dehydration - but now I'm thinking it's the pill because I stopped it soon after I saw him last year (almost exactly a year go) and the swelling and pain went away. I started the pill again (second month on it) and the pain/swelling is back.
Anyone experience something similar?

Old 03-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: BC and Ankle Pain/Swelling

Yes! I had horrible water retention and swelling on the pill (Ovcon 35). It was very bad in my feet and ankles and legs and knees but also in my hands and arms. My feet became so swollen it was painful to walk or even clean house. I quit the pill in June (should have done it as soon as I noticed these symptoms though), and every month these symptoms improve. My feet & hands are no longer swollen, but my legs still are (though not as badly as before). I have since lost about 15 lb. of 20 lb. of mostly water weight gained on the pill. I think my hormones are majorly out of balance though as my periods are now abnormally light. I'm seeing an endocrinologist and getting my hormone levels checked. He says it could take a year to a year and a half for everything to balance out with me again, which really sucks because we want to get pregnant now, and I have this feeling in my gut that it isn't going to happen until my hormones get balanced, which includes the water retention completely going away. I'd stop the pill ASAP if I were you. I took it for 6 months (the problems started almost immediately), and now I wish I had quit right away when I realized I just didn't feel right. It's been 9 (almost 10 cycles) off the pill for me and my hormones are still whacko.

Along with the water retention, I noticed severe moodiness, anxiety and depression--mood swings like nothing else on the pill. I also started getting pregnancy type symptoms though I was not pregnant including a hard bulgy area over my uterus, the feeling all the cells of my body were pushing outward, and food cravings (especially for milk, which I normally hate the taste of).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 04:41 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User
Re: BC and Ankle Pain/Swelling

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking for a while I was just imagining it, but it's definitely getting worse.
I'm definitely going to consider stopping the pill. I stopped it last year because I had no reason to be on it, but my cycle has been out of whack so my doctor wanted me to start back up again. I have been extremely miserable and nauseous and gained weight (even though I barely have an appetite). It's strange because I'm on ortho-tricyclen Lo, which supposedly is supposed to have little to no side effects... nothing's perfect!

Closed Thread