It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
(female)

missylala HB User
Angry Bad experience with copper iud

i ahve had the copper iud for 1 1/2yrs and have had nothing but problems. about 2 months after the insertion i developed a horrific odor and always have a hot burning feeling down there, my b/f says it kind of smells like meat. ive been 2 4 different dr's for all 4 to not be able to diagnose what could be wrong. after taking numerous meds its still there. the smell comes and goes and the awful smell changes also. im depressed all the time and seem to have anxiety. its got so bad that i try not to leave the house in fear of others reactions when they are aroud me. people tend to sneeze and not to mention walk wayaround me to avoid the smell. cant get a job. its ruining my life and i was just wondering if im the only one or if actually is something other than the iud that is causing this. i rememer the day of insertion the dr just finished and was ready to leace the room and alloe me to dress and he said,"dont worry you may see a little blood and some green stuff." i almost threw up when i saw seriously speaking green stuff come out f me. what could that have been? its like something has died in my vagina 24 hrs a day. plz help me!

missylala

Old 04-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: has anyone had a bad experience with copper iud?

I think it's possible that you may have a copper allergy. I think that if you are having this many problems, you really need to get rid of it. There comes a point where you have to just accept the fact that your body is trying to reject it (after all, it's a foreign object inside your body), and you just have to get rid of it.

Some women are fine with the copper IUD. But others have a copper allergy or just for whatever reason it just doesn't agree with their body chemistry. I think you should stop torturing yourself and just get it removed.

The green stuff by the way sounds like it's the copper. I know that whenever I wear a copper bracelet that I made, it turns my wrist kind of green. It would happen more when I sweat and wore that bracelet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
(female)

missylala HB User

i thought i may be allergic to it mysrlf before but ive never heard of anything llike this before. and the green stuff...well i dont thinh the reaction as the ring on the finger thing could be possible because the iud was just inserted not more than 5 minutes before he said or i saw it. it was dark green liquid! and would you know how or what kind of side effects come from a copper allergic reaction? thank you for your help and i am scheduled on the 9th to have it removed.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I'm not really sure what a copper allergy would include, but I think you can probably search for it on the internet and see if any of your symptoms are similar.

In any case, I'm glad to hear you're getting it removed. It might just take a little while for your body to heal after you have it removed, so don't be surprised if it takes some time.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
(female)

missylala HB User
Smile Re: Bad experience with copper iud

I DID SEARCH AFTER I READ YOUR REPLY AND I WAS IN TEARS THE WHOLE TIME I WAS READING THE ARTICLE. EVERYTHING FALLS INTO PLACE. IT ALL ADDS UP NOW BUT WHAT ANGERS ME IS THAT NOT 1 OUT OF 4 DR'S EVEN MADE MENTION OF ANYTHING ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC! I HAVE AN APPT FOR THE 9TH BUT IM CALLING IN THE MORNING TO CHANGE IT TO ASAP SO HOPEFULLY TOMORROW AFTERNOON I'LL BE ON THE ROAD TO RECOVERY. AS FAR AS THE GREEN STUFF, MAYBE THE DR SCRAPED OR ACCIDENTLY CUT SOMETHING DURING THE INSERTION WHO KNOWS. IM CURIOUS TO SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE WHEN IT GETS REMOVED. (IM SURE ITS SNOT GOING TO BE PRETTY)

BUT I WANTED TO THANK YOU AGAIN B/C NOW I HAVE A NEW HOPE TO GO ON INSTEAD OF DEPRESSION. YOU HAVE HELPED ME OUT A GREAT DEAL AND THANKS AGAIN

Old 04-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Bad experience with copper iud

I'm sorry to hear that you've been miserable for so long! Sometimes you just have to take charge of your own health and do your best to help yourself. Doctors are not always as helpful as we would like them to be.

But I'm really glad to hear that you know what is wrong now. You can now concentrate on getting it removed and starting the healing process. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
(female)

missylala HB User

Update... I Was Suppose To Have The Iud Removed On The 9th Of This Month But Someone Scheduled Me For Wrong Thing! Bummer. But I Have Another Date Set For The 25 Of This Month But I Had Sex This Past Weekend With A Condom And I Have Broken Out In This Terrible Rash All On And Around My Vagina And They Look Like Little White Heads And I Can Squeeze Them, The White Head Comes Off But It Kind Of Hurts Too! I Dont Know What To Make Of It At All. Depressed Even More Now. Would Anyone Happen To Know?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
(female)

missylala HB User
Thumbs up Re: Bad experience with copper iud

[OK I HAVE THE LATEST UPDATE TO DATE!! Ti=oday i did have my copper iud removed. the dr was qyuick aboutit it and less than o aminute he was showing it to me! Noq i can open hope for forward progress as far as getting back to normal oh i do have a lil bit of cramping but nothing to ruin my day! hopefully this day ois a new beginning for me!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #9
(female)

beanerz777 HB User

Hi I just want to bump this up and see if she can give us an update on her condition.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #10
(female)

missylala HB User

Well I dont really have any good news and still dont know exactly what is wrong with me but here it goes...the IUD was removed and i must say the pains arent as bad but my first period was crampy!! painful!!! that horrific odor is still there and I dont know what it is yet. I have had new findings though and that is that I developed, what seems to be boils on my vagina. one day i had like 4 of them appear at once and very painful. they went away after they drained out but i still have 1 that comes and goes. it will develop pus and drain and then go away repeatedly. once again i have no clue. I have also had a feeling like im going to throw up a few times and hot flashes a few times as well. if you or anyone knows about this plz plz plz give me some options or answers . thank you sooo much!!

Old 06-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
(female)

beanerz777 HB User

Hi Missylala,

I'm so glad you are still here!! On the boards I mean not... oh geez nevermind!! LOL!! That stinks that you are still having problems. Do you or your doctors think that the IUD caused these problems? I am thinking about getting one as soon as my period starts but I want to know everything about it before I do. I hope someone here can help you. I will say a prayer for you... couldn't hurt. Hang in there!!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #12
(female)

missylala HB User

hi everyone...well im back and still having the same things going on. I do have a few changes that have occured and those arent good either.. Lets see, I have had and infection in both of my ankles. that came from nowhere and not sure why it happens. the dr gave me antibiotics and it went away but its happened 3 timees now. still odor and burning, i also recently had a pain on 1 side of chest under my right rib. urine is still foul and my head itches something terrible along with some hair loss. I just feel like everything about me is failing and im never going to be back to normal. If this reminds anybosy of any symptoms they are aware of PLZ PLZ PLZ let me know. thank you again

Old 07-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #13
(female)

dri567 HB User

I really, really hope you already found a solution ... but here goes: I have had a copper IUD for 6 months. Recently, I developed what I thought was a vaginal infection (burning, itching, unusual persistent discharge). Have been diagnosed with lichen planus (auto-immune condition) which can result in a distinctive rash on the skin (usually on the extremities, like ankles but can be anywhere including scalp) or the mucous membranes in the mouth, vagina or vulva. I'm only at the beginning of learning about it and the treatment for it ... but when I went hunting to see if it could be an allergic reaction to the copper in my "newish" IUD I found your post, and everything you described is in the online literature for lichen planus so I thought I'd pass along the info.

Closed Thread