It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

billabongster17 HB User
Question New & Hesitant

Hey, i was thinking of goin on birth control and need help
Me n my boyfriend are going on a vacation and it falls right on my period. I don't want to be on my period on vacation. Can I take birth control to stop my period just for a couple weeks then just stop taking it after the vacation? Any help is most appreciated. Thank you
-Ashley

Old 04-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User
Re: New & Hesitant

I would have to say no. BC is intended to be taken for more than a period of time that you are talking about. its not good to start and then stop it like you are describing...that could mess up your period and all kinds of other things. plus even if you were to use it as you stated that wouldn't stop your period from coming. Its best to start BC the sunday after your period begins..even if you are still bleeding..so what you are saying would not work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
(female)

furtiva HB User

It's doable, but you have to keep in mind that it works better for those who have been using BCP for sometime to avoid all side effects related to just starting/introducing a new pill.

The reason is that if you're gone start it say, either the first day of your upcoming menses (you are protected from that day from pregnancy)or the first sunday after your upcoming menses, you have to allow your body three consequetive months to get used to the pill: i.e. bloating, side effects and spotting.

If you have these three months trial than your vacation falls on month four, you keep going on the pill skipping the placebo inactive ones, meaning that you start a new package (of month 5) immediatly after the active pills of month four end. You won't have a period for that time.

Last edited by furtiva; 04-16-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by furtiva;2***431
It's doable, but you have to keep in mind that it works better for those who have been using BCP for sometime to avoid all side effects related to just starting/introducing a new pill.

The reason is that if you're gone start it say, either the first day of your upcoming menses (you are protected from that day from pregnancy)or the first sunday after your upcoming menses, you have to allow your body three consequetive months to get used to the pill: i.e. bloating, side effects and spotting.

If you have these three months trial than your vacation falls on month four, you keep going on the pill skipping the placebo inactive ones, meaning that you start a new package (of month 5) immediatly after the active pills of month four end. You won't have a period for that time.

Yes what this poster is saying does make sense. thats how women skip there periods if they have been a bc user for a while.

but for what u were saying i thought ur vacation was just around the corner...therefore not allowing much time to do what this poster said above..so if your vacation is a while from now i apologize and u could do what this poster said, if not i dont really see any easy way to skip it.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
(female)

billabongster17 HB User

Yeah the vacation is June 20th SO i guess that is not enough time to get used to it? Or to just make my period stop for a little while?

Old 04-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
(female)

pooboo HB User

If you started now, you could probably get your period to not come that week, but it definately is not a sure thing and you could end up with even more bleeding if you have a bad reaction to the pill. If this is something that you really want to do, you should go see a dr asap and explain what you are trying to do.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Legend74 HB User

It's not advisable to skip when you have just started the pill. I remember not long ago there was another gal who posted here that she wanted to try to skip, but she just started the pill, she was on the wrong type of pill (Orthotricyclen) and she ended up having bleeding that lasted for like 3 weeks!

So, it's really not that easy to just start skipping when you have only just started taking the pill. It's a lot easier for a women who has been on the pill for a while whose body is already used to the hormones and who is on the right type of pill to try skipping.

I wouldn't advise it. You waited too long to try to start taking the pill. You should have started the pill 6 months ago to be ready to try skipping. But as of now, you don't have enough time to get your body used to the hormones before trying to skip.

Closed Thread