It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
(female)

dreamzr4me04 HB User
birth control and condoms together?

So this is just for my curiousity, I know condoms are 97-99% effective(or somewhere around there) and the pill is...what...99% effective, so then how effective are they both if used together? Does it go up or down in the percentage of effectiveness? Or is it the same percentage?

Old 04-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

marinewife12 HB User
Re: brith control and comdoms together?

Well, as you have already done your research, you know that no birth control alone is 100% effective (except abstinence of course!). But I would have to say that doubling up on birth control just makes your odds of staying pregnancy-free that much better. It still is not 100%, there's always human error and product error. But the odds of getting through two forms of birth control (when both used properly) is probably extremely tiny. I would say if you are taking the pill correctly and you use a condom properly, your chances of getting pregnant are under 1%. (But it can still happen! So be prepared regardless!)

I say that if someone doesn't want to get pregnant but still wants to have sex, this is the best option. I highly encourage doubling up on birth control. There's always that chance of pregnancy (or STDs) so why even take the chance? Lower your chances as much as possible.

Basically, anyone who has sex should aware of the consequences. In my mind, if you are having sex, then you have accepted that you may get pregnant. Some people say "but I used birth control...it was out of my hands!" No, it is never out of your hands. If someone has chosen to have sex, they have chosen to accept the thousands of consequences that come out of it, no matter how many precautions they take.

Just my social rant on the subject!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User
Re: brith control and comdoms together?

I never relied solely on the pill when I was on it. I always used a condom in addition to the pill because I did not believe the pill to be effective enough on its own. And guess what? I never had a pregnancy scare because I was careful.

And now that i'm off the pill and have been for a year, I am only using condoms and have not had a pregnancy scare since then. Although I wouldn't be as freaked out if I got pregnant now, so it's not as big of a deal.

Closed Thread