It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: seattle
Posts: 45
poneystenson HB User
Please help I'm very worried - spotting after a long term use of Yasmin

Hello, I've been taking Yasmin since 2006 March. I do not experience any significant side effect except moody and vaginal dryness. They don't bother me much. I have never had spotting while I'm taking Yasmin for a year and three months. It's been working very well for me.

I started my latest pills on Sat (26th May, 2007), a day earlier than the scheduled re-start day. This was not the first time I re-start my pack a day early. It's been no problem for me in the past.

This morning when I woke up, I found that there are some very light brown spots on my underwear. When I wiped my vagina after a pee, I still saw some very very light brown stains on the toilet paper. I'm frightened because spotting/bleeding has never happened before since I took the pills.

A few side notes: I take my pills extremely regularly. I take my pills everyday at 12p.m. I know because I set the alarm with my cell phone. I've NEVER missed any pills since I started taking Yasmin; and my withdrawal periods arrived almost on the same day every month.

I'm very worried about these light brown spotting. What has happened?

Thank you in advance for your time and help!!!!

----------------------------------------------------
Last withdrawal period: 23rd of May
Date I started this pack of Yasmin: 26th May
Very very light spotting: 2nd of June
Pregnancy test on 2nd June: negative

Last edited by poneystenson; 06-02-2007 at 06:29 AM.

 
Old 06-02-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Kszan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,995
Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Please help I'm very worried - spotting after a long term use of Yasmin

There's really nothing to worry about. The pill can cause spotting or breakthrough bleeding anytime. It really doesn't matter how long you've been on, because it can happen anytime. It even says so in the package insert that comes with the pills. You should read it and see what it says.

Also, a year is not long term. Long term is more like 5, 10 or 15 years. I was on for 15 years and had random spotting various times throughout that time. Whenever I was on the pill and had spotting, I didn't worry about it because I already knew that it was the pill and not something worse. But if you're not on any pill and spotting, THEN you may want to get some other tests done.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-02-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: seattle
Posts: 45
poneystenson HB User
Re: Please help I'm very worried - spotting after a long term use of Yasmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
There's really nothing to worry about. The pill can cause spotting or breakthrough bleeding anytime. It really doesn't matter how long you've been on, because it can happen anytime. It even says so in the package insert that comes with the pills. You should read it and see what it says.

Also, a year is not long term. Long term is more like 5, 10 or 15 years. I was on for 15 years and had random spotting various times throughout that time. Whenever I was on the pill and had spotting, I didn't worry about it because I already knew that it was the pill and not something worse. But if you're not on any pill and spotting, THEN you may want to get some other tests done.
Dear Kszan,

Thank you very much for your reply. I even took a home pregnancy test just now to make sure that I'm not pregnant. The result is negative.

Except that 3 tiny brown spots, I don't see spotting on my underwear so far. The only thing is that when I wipe myself after pee this morning/afternoon, I can see very very light brown thing on the toilet paper. It's so light that it urges me think the "spotting" is due to an intercourse I had with my husband 2 days ago. Or could it be just the "old blood" from my "withdrawal period" 8 days ago? The period I have while I'm on my pills are normally quite heavy.

Look forward to more advice if you have. I know that I sound like a paranoid. I just worried that the pills is working alright for me. I read the Yasmin booklet this morning and it said that "if you start to have unexpected bleeding for the first time after you have been on Yasmin for a long time, you should see a doctor" My "spotting" is so light that I don't know if I can call it "bleeding".

Should I still make a doc appointment?

Again many many thanks!

 
Old 06-02-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Kszan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,995
Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Please help I'm very worried - spotting after a long term use of Yasmin

I think that if you're really worried, then go see the doc for piece of mind. But, I can tell you that spotting and/or breakthrough bleeding are the most commonly reported side effects for women using the pill. I'm not a doctor, but I don't think it's a big deal. I never cared when it happened, but my doctor told me it was possible so I wasn't worried. It can be very annoying, especially if it happens a lot, in which case a higher dose pill may be required. But I was never told that it was a serious problem.

Spotting after sex is also common for women on the pill. It is hormone-related and has been covered in other posts on this board. If you use the search function, you will find a lot of posts here and on the sexual health-women and women's health boards.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. Especially if it's as little as what you are describing. If you want to see your doc then go for it. But I don't think it's necessary.

 
Old 06-02-2007, 07:35 AM   #5
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fl.
Posts: 6
christina626 HB User
Re: Please help I'm very worried - spotting after a long term use of Yasmin

I wouldn't worry about it either. Most likely it is just blood left over from your period or just an isolated instance of spotting which can happen anytime when you are on the pill. You might also want to consider this: I have heard of instances where after taking a low dose pill like Yasmin is, one may start to have frequent spotting. This can happen even though you have been on the pill for at least a year. I guess sometimes your body sort of builds an immunity to that certain pill and it is necessary to change your pill to something a little bit stronger. I have a friend who was on Loestrin 1/20 for about 6 months, but had to switch to Loestrin 1/30 because she started to experience spotting. The stronger dose stopped this from happening. This is just a suggestion though. If it continues just call your doctor to see what they think about it.

 
Old 06-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: seattle
Posts: 45
poneystenson HB User
Re: Please help I'm very worried - spotting after a long term use of Yasmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
I think that if you're really worried, then go see the doc for piece of mind. But, I can tell you that spotting and/or breakthrough bleeding are the most commonly reported side effects for women using the pill. I'm not a doctor, but I don't think it's a big deal. I never cared when it happened, but my doctor told me it was possible so I wasn't worried. It can be very annoying, especially if it happens a lot, in which case a higher dose pill may be required. But I was never told that it was a serious problem.

Spotting after sex is also common for women on the pill. It is hormone-related and has been covered in other posts on this board. If you use the search function, you will find a lot of posts here and on the sexual health-women and women's health boards.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. Especially if it's as little as what you are describing. If you want to see your doc then go for it. But I don't think it's necessary.
Dear Kszan,

Thank you again for your reply. Two hours ago I just found some brown spotting on my underwear again. It really looks like blood that's left over from my last period (23 MAY); though I can never be sure. Thanks again for your reply - I'm now less nervous. I'll observe the situation for a few days and if spotting continues I may talk to my doctor about it.

Thanks again!

 
Old 06-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: seattle
Posts: 45
poneystenson HB User
Re: Please help I'm very worried - spotting after a long term use of Yasmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina626 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it either. Most likely it is just blood left over from your period or just an isolated instance of spotting which can happen anytime when you are on the pill. You might also want to consider this: I have heard of instances where after taking a low dose pill like Yasmin is, one may start to have frequent spotting. This can happen even though you have been on the pill for at least a year. I guess sometimes your body sort of builds an immunity to that certain pill and it is necessary to change your pill to something a little bit stronger. I have a friend who was on Loestrin 1/20 for about 6 months, but had to switch to Loestrin 1/30 because she started to experience spotting. The stronger dose stopped this from happening. This is just a suggestion though. If it continues just call your doctor to see what they think about it.
Thank you for your reply. I did think about changing pills because of vaginal dryness, of which sometimes creates difficulty for intercourse. But I am afraid that other pills won't work as good for me as Yasmin. Anyways I'll discuss this with my doctor. Thanks again for your input!

 
Old 06-03-2007, 05:57 AM   #8
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: seattle
Posts: 45
poneystenson HB User
Re: Please help I'm very worried - spotting after a long term use of Yasmin

I am making a diary of this spotting problem and am going to submit to the doc.

June 3

There was no spotting during the night. But in the early afternoon I noticed some light brownish discharge on my underwear again (an hour after i've taken the pills). It looks very much like blood left over from my period though I'm not sure. It's again very very light brownish discharge. No smell.

 
Old 06-06-2007, 05:07 AM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: seattle
Posts: 45
poneystenson HB User
Re: Please help I'm very worried - spotting after a long term use of Yasmin

I stopped having brownish discharge/ brownish trace since the 4th of June. In other words, I have these brown discharge/trace for 2 days (2-3 June) since I re-started my pack on the 26th May.



Any insight?

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Root canal advice please please help adrian32 Dental Health 0 04-20-2010 08:09 AM
Very frequent spotting, cramping. AmberE Women's Health 0 03-28-2009 02:27 PM
I am terrified that i will never be a Mum & i dont know what to do...PLEASE HELP flammingstar Infertility 5 05-08-2008 05:20 AM
Time for a new Gyn???? Please HELP!!!! worriedEC Women's Health 2 12-14-2007 10:59 AM
Very Worried!! PLEASE HELP!!! 2 months late sugarbob55 Birth Control 5 01-12-2007 07:02 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added











All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:08 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!