It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

shadeshine HB User
Question The pill- period at the wrong time?!

I"m on the pill and decided to skip a period by missing the sugar tablets in the packet for that month. Now, about a week after it was suppose to begin, it has come even tho I have continued taking the pills as normal (except for skipping the sugar pill section) and so therefore i'm taking the normal pills but at the same time having a period when it should be being stopped by the pills! Now I'm just confused. My friends doctor said when she startd the pill that its fine to skip as many as you want as long as you have at least 3 or 4 per year so I didn't think it was a big deal but now it feels like it was really bad.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
(female)

define_truth HB User
Re: The pill- period at the wrong time?!

I can think of a couple of reasons why this could have happened...

What kind of birth control are you on? I'm pretty sure that you can't use the triphasic birth control to skip a period. Are your pills three different colours (a different colour every week)? Ortho Tricylen-Lo is an example of a triphasic birth control. If all your pills are the same colour, like Alesse is, then you can use them to skip a period.

The only other thing that I can think of is that sometimes when you try to skip a period with BC, you can get breakthrough bleeding, which can be light or it can sometimes seem as heavy as a regular period. But it usually doesn't last as long as a regular period.

Either way, I personally wouldn't worry too much and would continue to take the birth control as normal, but I would mention it to my doctor at my next appointment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: The pill- period at the wrong time?!

As define_truth said, it could be because you're on a tri-phasil. You can't do it with those. But I have to add that a lot of women can't do it with mono-phasil pills either. I just love how doctors say "it's okay to skip your period" with no concern about how it seems to leave a LOT of women a spotting/bleeding mess all month. I tried it (under Dr's orders) on three separate pills and none worked. It was worse than my period because it dragged on and on. My advice would be: don't try it, unless you're willing to risk endless spotting/bleeding instead. They really should do more studies on it...

Last edited by Thisby; 06-03-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Closed Thread