It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User
I've been told you can sort of control your period with birth control...

And I was wondering how true this is. Some girls I know have told me that to control their period, like to avoid getting it at special events (weddings, family get-togethers, etc) they'll put off taking their filler pills for a week.

For example, you have 3 weeks reg pills 1 week filler. So what they'll do is they'll open the new pack, take 4 weeks of reg pills, then 2 weeks of filler.

My question is, is this a bad idea? None of them are in a serious relationship right now, mostly for controlling their periods, however I got curious to know if it'd change the reliability of birth control.

The one girl also told me her doctor said she actually does this herself, which is why my friend tried it. *shrug*

Old 06-13-2007, 02:56 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: I've been told you can sort of control your period with birth control...

Yes thats half the usefulness of being on the pill. No more unscheduled periods. No, it does no harm now and again. Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User

Another odd question. I randomly thought about this the other day when I was driving home. The filler pills for that one week, they don't have anything in them, correct? So technically you can skip them, then switch back to your regular ones on the right day, and everything is a-okay... right?

It's just kind of weird for me to understand that. I mean, here's how I think of it. We eat every single day. If we magically stopped eating for a week, we'd be pretty darn hungry. But with the pill if you stop for a week, things just seem to still work in terms of superb protection against newborn surprises. *shrug* Just trying to make more sense of it...

Old 06-21-2007, 03:25 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User

Now, question. Say you wanted your period to come early. Can you just take 2 weeks of the regular pill and magically stop, and bam your period will be triggered to start even though it wouldn't of naturally started for another week? Also, what's the average time for a period after you've been on the pill for a bit? 3 days? 6 days?

Last edited by lovinthev8; 06-21-2007 at 03:33 AM.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

when you take the pill.. you take it for 3 weeks. Those hormones prevent you from ever ovulating, so no egg is released. Then the 4th week you go off the hormones so your body can go through it's "shedding" and have your period (by then your ovulation period has passed which is why you can go off the hormones). The 4th week is just sugar pills and you don't have to take them (they are just reminder pills so if you feel you HAVE to take something every day to remember). I personally throw mine out.
When you continue pills straight, it depends on what meds you are on as to how effective it is. I say that because on tri-phasic meds (where there are different levels of hormones in the pill depending on the week) it can mess your cycle up and you may delay your period but then you can get spotting or an early period during the second pack of pills (I had this happen to me on I believe it was ortho-trycyclin). I'm on Allesse which is monophasic (all pills except the reminder pills have the same hormones). Those types are more effective if you want to take the pill straight through and miss a period. Make sure you take all of the hormone pills, don't just take 4 or 5 weeks of the hormone pills and then stop when you feel you should have your period. It can mess your cycle up. As for stopping the pill early to get your period early.. there are no guarantees.. you probably would get it a few days early, but then it could mess your cycle up for next time and you would definitely be at risk of getting pregnant if you are sexually active. If you want to move your period earlier.. I personally start my next pack 2-3 days before hand each time until I get to where I want it. It's better to start the next pack early than late.

Last edited by wakkochic17; 06-21-2007 at 10:43 AM.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthev8 View Post
Say you wanted your period to come early. Can you just take 2 weeks of the regular pill and magically stop, and bam your period will be triggered to start even though it wouldn't of naturally started for another week?
I'd say it would be just as possible for that to trigger ovulation insteatd. If you're using it as birth control, I certainly wouldn't risk it.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User

All right. Still trying to understand everything here.

Question, to kind of reiterate what was already said in a manner that I can understand... What's better when it comes to having the desire to change the day your cycle begins? Would it be better to continue taking the hormone pill later than usual, therefore postponing the start of your cycle? Or would it be better to cut short your hormone pill taking period (the 21 day span) by 1 or 2 days?

Also, you have 21 hormone pills in a pack. Yet, I've been told that a woman's period is cut down to 3-5 days when on b.c. Well, say you begin your cycle and you're taking the blank pills. So you have 7 blank pills to take, yet say your period ends on the 3rd day. I assume you can "do the dirty" with your significant other after that, even though you wouldn't start up the hormone pills for another 4 days? And I assume everything should still be okay, right? (as in safety wise)

Old 06-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

you have 21 hormone pills.. you need to take all 21 in a row, don't stop "early". Stopping early doesn't necessarily guaruntee you will have your period early anyways. If you are going to delay your period... you need to continue your packs back to back.. so you would tak 42 hormone pills in a row. Anything other than your 21 days you risk getting pregnant. If you take them as normal and have the 7 days in between.. you can safely have sex if you've been taking your pill properly. Btw.. going on the pill does NOT necessarily reduce your period to 3-5 days. Mine is still 5-7 days.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User

But if you take your packs back to back, eventually you'd run shy when it comes time to renew your prescription, wouldn't you?

So let me just get this straight once... you have 21 pills to take. Typically, after those 21 you'd get your monthly friend. If you take 42, you won't get it until after you're off of that stretch of 42 pills. Correct?

And also, when you're calculating ahead of time while looking at a calendar to make sure you don't get it during a special event, you'd have to still go by the 4 week chart. Period week, week 1, 2, 3, period week, week 1, 2, 3, etc.

(week 1, 2, 3 = your 21 days you're not bothered by that monthly friend)

Last edited by lovinthev8; 06-22-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

Quote:
But if you take your packs back to back, eventually you'd run shy when it comes time to renew your prescription, wouldn't you? )
unfortunately yes.. if you really want to go long terms without your period, you probably want to get a prescription for a pill that does that (I forget the brand that goes 3 months of straight hormones). I only do it on special occassions.

Quote:
So let me just get this straight once... you have 21 pills to take. Typically, after those 21 you'd get your monthly friend. If you take 42, you won't get it until after you're off of that stretch of 42 pills. Correct? )
correct...

Quote:
And also, when you're calculating ahead of time while looking at a calendar to make sure you don't get it during a special event, you'd have to still go by the 4 week chart. Period week, week 1, 2, 3, period week, week 1, 2, 3, etc.

(week 1, 2, 3 = your 21 days you're not bothered by that monthly end)
yep, assuming you are taking your pill regularly.. Just count it out at 28 days. I usually look at what day my period actually starts and count out 28 days and that will be when your next period will be. Mine starts on the 3rd day of the no-hormone week.. it will vary from person to person. If I find my period is going to start on a major event say in 3 months.. I will start my new pack 2-3 days early and then the next month I will start it another 2-3 days early so in the end I get my period early by 4-6 days.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

To skip a period, your pills must not be one of the kinds with different hormones (like the tricyclen kinds), it has to be a monophasic pill where they are all the same except for the placebo pills at the 4th week where you get your period. I'm on Yasmin and have skipped or delayed my period plenty of times. I just skip the placebo pills and go on to the next pack. If I need to delay my period by only a day or so, I will just take one extra active pill from the following pack, then go ahead and take the placebo pills (this makes my next cycle one day shorter). Hope this helps!

Old 06-27-2007, 03:44 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User

How do I know if it's one that has the multiple hormones in it?

Closed Thread