It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
(female)

miss_thing HB User
Ruptured ovarian cyst, even on Yasmin?!

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to have a ruptured ovarian cyst while on the pill. Last week, I was rushed to the ER with severe abdominal pain and nausea. A CT scan showed pelvic fluid, which the doctor said was from a ruptured ovarian cyst. I've been on BCPs for 10+ years (and take them faithfully), so this was a surprise to me, because an ovarian cyst basically means that you've ovulated, right? My question is, do I need to worry now about getting pregnant because I might be ovulating while on the pill, since I got this ovarian cyst?? Also would switching to Yaz (which my doctor recommended) help cysts from forming? I thought a higher dose BCP would help stop cysts better. I'm just so confused!! Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: Ruptured ovarian cyst, even on Yasmin?!

Did they tell you what kind of cyst did you have?

There are a few types of cysts. Functional Cysts are developing eggs that form a follicle, or sac. When the egg is mature, the sac ruptures, and the egg is released.
Ovarian Neoplasms cysts are the result of normal reproduction, endometriosis or hormone imbalances.

Dermoid cysts, cystadenoma cysts, endometrioma cysts, and polycystic ovarian disease often occur as the result of an imbalance of female hormones.

Fibroids can happen too with abnormal hormones. I've had a couple cysts rupture while on BCP. I have cysts on both ovaries. I've been on many brands of BCP for over 15 years and I still have get cysts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
(female)

miss_thing HB User

Thanks for your reply. No, they didn't tell me what kind of cyst it was. They didn't do the ultrasound until 24 hours after I came in with the pain, so I guess the cyst was gone by then. The doctor said that my ovaries looked fine, but there was pelvic fluid still left over. Did they tell you what kind of cyst you had that ruptured? How was your experience with the ruptured cysts? I hope to never have such extreme pain ever again. I've never felt pain like that! But my pain was mainly epigastric, with tenderness all over, and severe nausea.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I was told they were fibrous cysts but when I looked them up it said that I needed to ovulate to have them. I know I do ovulate cause I can feel it and it's usually on the right side. Which is where the majority of my cysts are. A few are on my left but I have more on the right.

There was one that knocked me to the floor in a ball with a heating pad. I tried using a massager cause it felt like I had a Charley horse in my right ovary. That didn't help much. No nausea just pain and cramps with sweats. It lasted for about 12 hours then I felt a large pop and I swore my body just ripped open. I had a large gush of blood with some dark tissue like stuff. Soon as it popped I stopped sweating and the cramps were completely gone.

I had one burst at work. The whole day I had cramps on the right side. I was dizzy and sweating but the pain was not as horrible as the other one. I kept taking BC powder thinking I could thin my blood and make it pop. I know it does not make sense but at the time I thought it did. If nothing else it helped with the pain. My legs were weak this time. They were so weak they hurt. Finally it burst I had a sharp pain that sent me to the floor followed by a feeling of bubbles in my ovaries. About 10 seconds later I had a gush and had to run to the bathroom to find the same tissue and blood. I went to the doctor a week later and during the vaginal ultra sound they saw scar tissue on my ovaries and more cysts.

At my last ultra sound which was in March they found fibroids in my uterus and a handful of cysts. I gotta say I would rather have a cyst burst every month instead of having fibroids. I have 3 and they hurt constantly and make me think I have to urinate all the time.

Closed Thread