It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
(female)

amber_k33 HB User
Yasmin Users: a few questions???

Hello all,

I start Yasmin in about a week or so...Just wondering what I will experience in the first couple weeks?

*How long did it take for you to get used to Yasmin?

*How about your acne? Better, worse, same?

*Did you experience breakthrough bleeding (main reason I had to switch)?

*How did your mood change or maybe it didn't?

*Also I have read a lot about breast growth and tenderness while on this pill? Did your breasts stay swollen or did that go away after a few months? I wouldn't mind an increase but if they are going to be sore I would like to know before I start talking it! haha

Thanks!!
Amber

Last edited by amber_k33; 08-15-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
(female)

5han HB User
Re: Yasmin Users: a few questions???

I take YAZ which has pretty much the same outcome as Yasmin does. I hated it to start with. I had breakthrough bleeding within the first week, my boobs hurt so bad, my lower back and ovaries felt like they were ovulating constantly, I was significantly more tired than I had been before the pill, and I also felt sick to my stomach a lot. I was a tiny bit moody. This all lasted for about 2 weeks and I was just about to quit taking it the bleeding stopped, the pain stopped, the fatigue and breast tenderness stopped. I have noticed my boobs are indeed bigger, and my moods have been sooo even keel for the past 4 months. I have never felt like a more sane person. I had PMDD pretty bad. It would last 2 weeks before my period and a week after, so I only ever had 1 week per month where I was normal. Now I'm ALWAYS normal. I'm not sure if yasmin has the same effects though. I also used to get about 4 or 5 migraines every month due to hormone fluctuation and now I only get 1 a month EXACTLY when I start my sugar pill and my hormones drop, and I don't mind that as much.

So yeah, if it causes unpleasant side effects, keep taking it! Get your sleep and drink plenty of water and the side effects could be gone in as soon as a few weeks. Your boobs will probably grow though. This was a good thing for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
(female)

annlouise HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5han View Post
I take YAZ which has pretty much the same outcome as Yasmin does. I hated it to start with. I had breakthrough bleeding within the first week, my boobs hurt so bad, my lower back and ovaries felt like they were ovulating constantly, I was significantly more tired than I had been before the pill, and I also felt sick to my stomach a lot. I was a tiny bit moody. This all lasted for about 2 weeks and I was just about to quit taking it the bleeding stopped, the pain stopped, the fatigue and breast tenderness stopped. I have noticed my boobs are indeed bigger, and my moods have been sooo even keel for the past 4 months. I have never felt like a more sane person. I had PMDD pretty bad. It would last 2 weeks before my period and a week after, so I only ever had 1 week per month where I was normal. Now I'm ALWAYS normal. I'm not sure if yasmin has the same effects though. I also used to get about 4 or 5 migraines every month due to hormone fluctuation and now I only get 1 a month EXACTLY when I start my sugar pill and my hormones drop, and I don't mind that as much.

So yeah, if it causes unpleasant side effects, keep taking it! Get your sleep and drink plenty of water and the side effects could be gone in as soon as a few weeks. Your boobs will probably grow though. This was a good thing for me.
Have you gained weight with YAZ and did your face break out. Did your complexion get better or worse? The doctor put my daughter on Levora 24 and I have not read great reviews about it. Some people say they have really bad break out of acne with Levora 24. Thanks for your help with YAZ

Old 08-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber_k33 View Post

*Also I have read a lot about breast growth and tenderness while on this pill? Did your breasts stay swollen or did that go away after a few months? I wouldn't mind an increase but if they are going to be sore I would like to know before I start talking it! haha
* My first 2 weeks on Yasmin I experienced headaches and nausea. The nausea lessened if I ate when I took the pill. So for me, it took about 2 weeks for the negative side effects to fade away. But I'd say over all that my body took a month to fully adjust with the good and bad of the pill.

* My acne improved. I took about a month to notice that. It was never really bad, but my monthly breakouts lessened. For example, if before Yasmin I'd get 5 pimples before my period, After Yasmin I'd get 2. BUT-- I recently stopped taking Yasmin (April was my last month) and around June my face basically exploded. I noticed my face gradually getting worse. I can't 100% say that it was b/c I stopped using the Pill.. but I will say that I started Yasmin up again even more recently (I'm in my 2nd week of the pack) So far, the skin looks MUCH better! Well.. I should say that it's back to the way it was before ever starting Yasmin. Hopefully it will improve again in a couple weeks.

* I didn't have any problems with breakthrough bleeding/spotting. I started the placebo pills on Sunday and got my period on Wednesday. It was clock work for the entire 9 months I used the pill. When I stopped, my period was 7 days late. Now, instead of a 28 day cycle, I'll get it around 30-32 day cycle. That will change again once I start the placebo pills. I'm expecting that maybe it will be a bit late... first month is always a test round.

* I chose Yasmin to helped my moods; severe mood swings and depression. It helped me tremendously! I didn't realize just how much, until May rolled around and I was my horrid self again. That was main reason I started using again.

* I wish I experienced some breast growth! My boobs always got a bit tender and swollen before my period, and they still do. Yasmin doesn't seem to have had an effect on my breasts!

Just some other things that I feel are worth mentioning.. severe cramps were another reason I started BC and while on Yasmin cramps were practically non-existant. Also, I never, ever felt bloated while taking Yasmin. That comes at the price of peeing a lot! But I'd rather pee 8 times a day than feel fat and bloated for a week!

I hope your experience with Yasmin will be a good one!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Quote:

Well i have been on Yasmin for over a year and i must say its a good pill, but mighty expensive as each month i get it it goes up in price.
Ill try my best to answer your questions.

*Well this hasnt been the first pill ive been on, but i didnt really notice how long it took me to get use to it. I could tell a change but id say a few months.

*Ive been on 3 pills. Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, Solia, and Yasmin my face has been the best on OTC LO but its still good on Yasmin, a few pimples ever other month id say is what i have experienced. now on the lo i had a clear face from beggining to end.

*The reason that i had to switch the lo was from breakthrough bleeding too....i have not had this since on any other pill including yasmin. very satisfied with that.

*I cant really tell if i have had mood changes, but i have heard that i have...i would say yasmin has changed my mood if i really think about it but maybe even for better and not worse.

*Ever since i have began the pill my breasts have gotten bigger...not too much but at least a cup size. on yasmin i have not experienced breasts tenderness....only a few days before my period but nothing major.

hope this helps...

Old 08-17-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
(female)

5han HB User

I think I remained the same weight on YAZ, and I never had any acne to begin with but my pms breakouts are less severe =)

Old 09-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
(female)

amber_k33 HB User

Any more help would be appreciated!!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

"Hey jen52983! I have a few questions about Yasmin. I started taking it about a month ago and it seems to be going good so far. This is the week I'm supposed to get my period but it's barely there...is this normal?? Also how long did it take for you to really start noticing a change in acne, etc? I have heard breast growth is also a side effect of Yasmin but I'm still waiting...haha. Did you notice this at all and how long did it take?
Thanks, Amber"

Hey Amber-
My first period on Yasmin was a few days later than i would have gotten it without the pill and it was very light, and it only lasted about 4 days. After that first month it was clock work; I'd get it every Wednesday and be completely over by Sunday. Its always a lighter flow than before I started the pill.

Once I started Yasmin again (I stopped for about 3 months, and my face broke out horribly) it took about 3-4 weeks for me to notice a consistant improvement in my skin. Its not perfect, I still get a few pimples here and there.. but it's better.

Sadly I have not experience any breast growth. But... I guess thats better than gaining a lot of weight for example. The breast size increase would have been a nice little bonus, but my experience with Yasmin has been really good, so I shouldn't complain right?!

Hope it continues to go well for you!

Last edited by jen52983; 09-19-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
(female)

lagirlkelly HB User

I still don't think I'm used to the Yasmin and am finishing up my last pack.

My acne got much better and has pretty much cleared up except for the small hormonal breakout once a month. Nothing like it was before.

I had breakthrough bleeding on Ortho Tri-Cyclen which is why I switched to Yasmin and haven't had a problem with breakthrough bleeding any longer.

I've gotten serious anxiety since being on Yasmin. I wake up 2-3 times a week with anxiety attacks (this is the reason I'm getting off of it).

*Also I have read a lot about breast growth and tenderness while on this pill? Did your breasts stay swollen or did that go away after a few months?
My breasts seemed to have grown during the first month but unfortunately it went away.

I have a friend on Yaz who isn't having any side effects. It might be an option for you if the Yasmin doesn't work out.

Kelly

Old 01-14-2008, 03:08 AM   #10
(female)

Ksusha77 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Yasmin Users: a few questions???

Quote:
Hello all,

I start Yasmin in about a week or so...Just wondering what I will experience in the first couple weeks?

Thanks!!
Amber
Hello! It's been the 3d day I am on it. Can say nothing terrible is going on with me apart from headaches and bad mood, I'm also confused having read all these complaints of Yasmin... It would be interesting to hear from you..

Old 01-14-2008, 03:14 AM   #11
(female)

Ksusha77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksusha77 View Post
Hello! It's been the 3d day I am on it. Can say nothing terrible is going on with me apart from headaches and bad mood, I'm also confused having read all these complaints of Yasmin... It would be interesting to hear from you..

Old 01-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #12
(female)

coopere3 HB User

I was prescribed Yasmin way back in October. I still have yet to take it. I would like to try taking Yasmin, but honestly I'm scared to after reading people's experiences with it. I am in grad school right now and tend to be a relatively anxious person (school induced) as is with problems falling asleep at night on occasion. I have read that some people have experience anxiety and a hard time sleeping at night while taking Yasmin...which is probably why I'm so nervous to start taking it. Anybody have any advice for me?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #13
(female)

bgy3jlh HB User

I went along to my fpc today to ask for Yasmin, as I have had real troubles on all other brands of contraceptive pill. With Dianette I went up 1stone in weight. With Cilest I got fluid retention and heart palpitations and with Cerazette I currently have a really swollen tender belly, nausea and reduced sex drive, as well as a much heavier and longer period (day 9 and still going - will it ever stop!!). The fpc said they don't stock Yasmin, though, and so I'll have to get it from my GP. Fingers crossed - I really really hope it works for me!!

Last edited by bgy3jlh; 01-17-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

*How long did it take for you to get used to Yasmin? I did not notice feeling different from the start and continued to feel the same. So automatically, I was used to it. I couldn't tell a difference besides having lighter periods and not feeling sick during them anymore.

*How about your acne? Better, worse, same? My skin got less oily, but I was also a teen at the time going through hormonal changes, so it's hard to tell if that was just a coincidence.

*Did you experience breakthrough bleeding (main reason I had to switch)? Never had any breakthrough bleeding in my life and have never spotted either!

*How did your mood change or maybe it didn't? Stayed the same. Before taking it, I struggled with ongoing depression and anxiety, but not hormonal mood swings. I was upset about my life and things going on in it. I am improving with this because of positive changes in my life I have been making, but the pill has not affected it at all.

*Also I have read a lot about breast growth and tenderness while on this pill? Did your breasts stay swollen or did that go away after a few months? My chest stayed the same at first but went up from a B to C a few years later at around the age of 18. Maybe this was just because of my age, maybe the pill.... I can't be sure, but I definitely did not mind the increase in size. It greatly increased my confidence ! My chest sometimes gets a little tender around my periods, but this happened before the pill too. Nothing really bad.. just a mild soreness and no big deal for me.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopere3 View Post
I was prescribed Yasmin way back in October. I still have yet to take it. I would like to try taking Yasmin, but honestly I'm scared to after reading people's experiences with it. I am in grad school right now and tend to be a relatively anxious person (school induced) as is with problems falling asleep at night on occasion. I have read that some people have experience anxiety and a hard time sleeping at night while taking Yasmin...which is probably why I'm so nervous to start taking it. Anybody have any advice for me?
I'd talk to your doctor about it. I had these kinds of problems (anxiety and depression to be exact) before taking Yasmin. I never had problems falling asleep at all after starting it. I'd fall asleep pretty quick! It also didn't make anything worse. It probably stayed the same until I started to try to find help from a counselor and on my own through reading books that just made a connection with me.

I do have to say that I went on anti depressants once and that was the WORST with my sleep. I was so exhausted and slept too much. Going off of them made me get night sweats, made falling asleep VERY difficult, and it was hard to stay asleep throughout the night. I had a lot of energy, but too much at times. Eventually this faded off and now I'm just normal again. Yasmin never did anything to me at all like this... just other medication.

Closed Thread