It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

Amanda121203 HB User
Question Iud Question

I'm Getting An Iud Put In Next Friday 31st And My Doctor Told Me I Couldn't Have Sex Until After I Get It Put In..... Has Anyone Ever Heard Of This???

Old 08-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
(female)

smallgingerone HB User
Re: Iud Question

Hi,

It is vitally important that you are not pregnant when you have an IUD put in. This is part of the reason why some doctors will only put them in when you are on your period. If you are not on your period, i think it is sensible advice that you do not have sex between your last period and having it put in. The clinic I went to told me to go back on the pill for the time i was waiting to get an appointment for extra peace of mind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
(female)

Amanda121203 HB User

Thank you for answering my question.... Unfortunetly they couldn't get me in while I was on my period so do you think they are going to give me a preggo test anyways just to make sure?? Which IUD did you get?? And have you had any problems?? Any advice for the day of my appointment?? hehe sorry for all the Q's!!
Amanda

Old 08-26-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
(female)

smallgingerone HB User

Hi,

Don't worry about the questions. I had loads before I had mine!

They may well give you a pregnancy test before they fit it. I didn't have that because i was on the pill.

I have a Nova T now (copper). At first I had a UT380 but I pulled it out using a diva cup on my first period. I stopped using that and now its fine. thats the only problem that i have had with it - it was completely my own fault and nothing to do with the device itself!

On the day I took a couple of paracetamol about an hour before I went in. You could take Ibuprofan or something similar. But most of all relax! It does pinch but only for a minute or so.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #5
(female)

arychel HB User

I have the copper IUD too, and I know that IUDs are often put in during a period. I also have read that the IUD can also be used as such for emergency contraception after unprotected sex, so I am not sure what the prohibition on sex is all about re your doc. If you are using other contraception up until you have it in, I don't see what the big deal is. I was advised against sex and usage of tampons 48 hours after I had mine put in because they want to make sure there is not infection introduced. At any rate, you should probably clarify this point with your doc. I have had a really good experience so far with mine: I am lucky having no spotting, and so far no increased cramps or heavy bleeding with my first period on it. So go for it!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda121203 View Post
do you think they are going to give me a preggo test anyways just to make sure?? Which IUD did you get?? And have you had any problems?? Any advice for the day of my appointment?? hehe sorry for all the Q's!!
Amanda
They may give you a pregnancy test just to be sure. When I had mine done about a week ago the doctor asked me about sexual activity. I imagine that if I'd had any since my son had been born he'd have wanted to do a test, but my husband has been deployed so it wasn't any problem. I got the Mirena. I have had no problems. I didn't feel any pinching, though the doctor warned that I would, BUT I did have a bit of cramping with insertion. I was also a bit crampy the remainder of the day and I just felt generally crummy. This may have been made worse by the fact that I was on my period. I felt fine the next day though, and I don't have to remember to take a daily pill, so it was totally worth it. My only suggestion is that if you have someone who can take you, you might think about that. I didn't feel too great driving home and wished I'd had someone who could have taken me. Good luck.

Last edited by baj406; 08-28-2007 at 05:36 PM.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
(female)

summerangel HB User
Question Re: Iud Question

Hi...I've had the Mirena IUD for about 15 months. As far as lighter, painless periods go it has been great. But I still have alot of spotting in between with this. I've seen my gyn for annual and he was a little surprised that I still had spotting and said most women stop by now, but there wasn't anything we could do, up to me how long I wanted to deal with it. Basically a period still drags out for at least a week, sometimes more. Some months I may have only 1 "normal" week and other times may have up to 2 "normal" weeks. I'm 43 and have had two children. Anybody else have a complaint like this?

Closed Thread