It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
(female)

buckybadger HB User
IUD: Copper vs. Mirena

I'm 29 and have been on BCPs for over 10 years; I would like to get off of them, as I'm sick of the side effects. I'm considering an IUD, and am trying to decide between the copper and the progestin.

One of my motivations for getting off of BCPs is the non-existent libido, and the long term synthetic hormone regimen has never seemed right to me (I'm slightly paranoid by nature).

I'm leaning towards the Paragard (copper) IUD. However, my NP says the Mirena is the way to go because of the low dose of progestin, which helps to reduce your periods and cramping long term. I'm just not convinced, she may be getting a kickback from Mirena's sales rep, for all I know (again, slightly paranoid).

Did those of you who have Mirena IUDs select them (or against a copper) for any specific reason?

For those of you who have gotten either IUD after having taken BCPs for a while, did you see a return of your libido?

Old 09-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User
Re: IUD: Copper vs. Mirena

I chose Mirena over a copper IUD as I tend to have very heavy, painful periods anyway and the doctor said the copper was likely to make that worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
(female)

airline HB User

Just noticed the name Mirena, I'm not on it, but my girlfriend was. She now has many fibroids, some in the lining of her uterus. She started to bleed heavily, and have terrible cramping. They were only able to remove one without giving her a hysterectomy, so now she's having to have a 'mini-menapause' to try and let her body settle down. Doc said it was the Mirena that caused problems in first place. I'd maybe get second opinion.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

The main difference between the copper and mirena is that the mirena has some localized hormone and the copper doesn't have any hormones.
However, the copper is notorious for giving more cramping and heavier periods... the Mirena can and most likely will stop your periods alltogether and there is no cramping.

I have the Mirena, but have been skeptical since I've been one it, I've gained 18 pounds and my eating habits haven't changed.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I'm debating one or the other as well. My problem is I was on the depo shot which was great for slowing my periods and PMS but HORRIBLE with the acne! The Mirena has the same hormones as the depo shot. My insurance won't cover either so it would be a $500 gamble either way.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
(female)

arychel HB User

I wanted my libido back after many hears on HBC, so I went with the paragard. I think things have improved, but it has only been like 4 months. With paragard, I have normal periods with minimal to no cramping, even though I had them pretty bad about 10 years ago. I think it you want to stay away from hormones, don't choose Mirena, since it uses hormones, and while I have heard the claim that they only circulate locally, that is never really possible since hormones cannot really be localized like that. Anyway, you should see if you can get an IUD (discounted?) at planned parenthood since your insurance doesn't cover... I would make sure that is the case too-- have you asked your insurance? I have also heard that you can buy or get a paragard or mirena on a payment plan or with reduced cost directly from the manufacturer.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
(female)

findingbalance HB User

I had a Mirena for a year and a half. Hormonal birth control just isn't for me and I had it out this spring. I would recommend going with the copper IUD. On Mirena I was more moody, gained weight (which I have since lost most of), and had some major depression issues during PMS. While I had it, my periods were non-existent by the fourth month but I just never felt right. I'm glad it's gone and will no longer do hormonal birth control. I am currently pregnant with #3 and my husband has scheduled an appointment for a vasectomy. Best of luck!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 AM   #8
(female)

summerangel HB User

I've had Mirena for a year and a half and still have spotting, irregular bleeding. I'm 43 and hoped this would work out great. It is excellent for having painless, lighter periods but I don't know if I can take the spotting much longer now that I am in a new relationship. I'm seriously considering removing it but don't know what to do next. I'd like to stay away from the pill now, and it didn't work the last time I tried them anyway. Anyone having these issues with the IUD? Other than sterilization, are there any other options left for us over 40's??

Old 11-07-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
(female)

Mainegirl HB User

I LOVE my Paragard!! I have been on it since I was in my 20's and would never go on anything else (I'm 36 now).

Mine ran about $400 and its good for 10 years.

Closed Thread