It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
(female)

mg71 HB User
chances of getting pregnant when using condoms?

Hi. I'm new.

So in August I had sex for the first time. It really sucked. It hurt a lot and I don't think he really got very far in. I don't think I'll be doing it again. I don't think he even "broke through" because I didn't bleed and it didn't feel like he did.

Anyway, that's not the point. I'm not on any kind of birth control but he wore not one, but two condoms (I'm a bit paranoid). We didn't take them off early or anything like that. We used them correctly.

I don't have regular periods even though I'm 25. I don't think I'll ever have regular periods. Sometimes I skip two months. Sometimes I do have them monthly. I haven't skipped two months in a long time. I do tend to skip a month and then I'll have it at the beginning of the next month.

So of course my body decided to do this to me after the first time I have sex. So I didn't get my period last month. After one particular freak out I got myself a pregnancy test. I kept telling myself: you're panicking for nothing. You used protection. The only problem was the pregnancy test (which was negative) said "will detect pregnancy as early as 5 days before missed period". But I'm irregular so how do I know when it's 5 days before my missed period. Or 5 days after for that matter?!

Ok so I continued to re-assure myself by telling myself that I'll get my period as soon as the beginning of the next month (which would be this one). Ok so October 4th... still no period. Nothing. Now I'm kind of freaking out.

I can't have a child. I hate children. Sorry I do. I can't afford to have one either. I don't even want to have to tell my parents I had sex because I'm embarrassed about it (hence the reason I'm asking anonymously on a bb--well and my physical isn't until quite a while from now because they take so long to schedule @$%$%!).

So please tell me the chances of me getting pregnant with the use of condoms is very small and I shouldn't worry. Right?! Thanks!

Last edited by mg71; 10-04-2007 at 12:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
(female)

Atti11 HB User
Re: chances of getting pregnant when using condoms?

Condoms are extremely effective, if I were you I would not worry :-) However, it might be worth it to buy a drugstore pregnancy test just to put your mind at ease? but it sounds like it would be unneccesary

Old 10-04-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Condoms work fine, I've been using condoms alone for over the last year since I quit taking the pill. That being said, however, him wearing two is a very bad idea. That actually increases the risk of leakage or breakage or whatever. He should never, ever wear two.

When used correctly though, they are effective. The guy just has to a) buy the right size, b) put it on correctly and c) know when to swap out the one he is wearing and put on a new one (because he feels it might be slipping off). These are things that guys learn how to do after they have been having sex for a while. It's the very inexperienced who try using 2 condoms thinking it's going to make extra protection, but in reality it actually makes the threat of leak/break to be worse.

As to your question about what to do about your period, that's a tough call. If you're already totally irregular as it is, then you probably don't need to be freaking just yet. But if it would make you feel better, you should definitely buy a pregnancy test and check. If it's negative and another 2 or 3 weeks passes with no period, then test again. I mean, don't worry so much about the timing as, just go a few weeks and see what happens, and if you still don't have a period then test again. That's what I'd do in your situation.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg71 View Post
I'm not on any kind of birth control but he wore not one, but two condoms (I'm a bit paranoid). We didn't take them off early or anything like that. We used them correctly.
Actually, wearing 2 condoms at once is definitely not wearing them correctly. This was a bad idea and you should consider yourself lucky that they didn't rip.

Your chances of being pregant though (since they didn't rip) are pretty low, so you should try to calm down and just keep telling yourself that it's stress that's making you late. Take care, and next time: one condom at a time.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #5
(female)

WednesdaysChild HB User

Just wanted to add,

The average drugstore pregnancy urine test will detect HCG hormone in the urine approximately two weeks after conception. If you do a test at two, three, four etc weeks after your sexual encounter and it is negative, there is no point in repeating it. If you were pregnant, there would be huge amounts of HCG in your urine by three weeks; if it's negative, then you are not pregnant.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
(female)

n*l HB User

I've always had irregular periods too. I had sex for the first time in July (we used a condom), and my period took THREE months to come. Needless to say, I was pretty paranoid during that whole time, and took about 4 pregnancy tests spaced out.

If you decide to have sex again, I would suggest using only ONE condom or getting another form of BC if you really want to be sure you won't get pregnant. I think it's common knowledge that the first time is never perfect - I had some pain during sex and some bleeding afterwards, even though he was very gentle and slow. Everyone's different, and it takes practice. The most important thing is for you to feel comfortable and safe.

I sort of worried myself sick while I was waiting for my period...that probably doesn't help regulate your cycle either. Just be patient and things should be fine.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
(female)

mg71 HB User

Thank you everyone for helping me out. Next time, if there is one, I will only use on condom. Thanks.

Closed Thread