It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
(female)

Atti11 HB User
Getting Copper (Paraguard) IUD and nervous - anybody with experience?

Hi Guys,

I'm getting the copper (non-hormonal) IUD on wednesday. I saw my doctor today, and have come to the conclusion after trying extensively to use hormonal methods (different pills, the ring,) that hormones are not for me. I am an emotional wreck, gain weight, have horrible acne that doesn't affect me off of the pill, and am anxious all the time. So I am getting the copper IUD on Wednesday, and of course, still worried about the surfeit of side effects that can potential occur, as well as nervous about the entire insertion process.

I should metion that I am a soon to be engaged 23 year old woman who has never had children. I was given some presciptions to take the night before and an hour before (a painkiller and a cervical dialator).

I never have had horrible periods, and am aware that I may bleed more and ahve more cramps. I'm ok with that. I'm more worried about it getting lost or implanted or something! Can somebody calm by fears?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:50 AM   #2
(female)

Mainegirl HB User
Re: Getting Copper (Paraguard) IUD and nervous - anybody with experience?

I've had 2 IUDs (Paragard) put in and removed and the painkillers are totally unnecessary (Tylenol is enough). Nothing to be worried about. You get a little cramping and you might just want to hang out on the couch for the remainder of the day but you're fine by the following day.

The dr. will tell you to feel for the string after every cycle (it feels more like a fishing line than a string). My string had migrated backwards and was in a loop and I still never felt anything and dr. said it was fine. If your IUD punctures your uterus, believe me, you will know it. Normally, you don't feel anything so if you have any pain that you think is unusual, call your dr.

My periods before my IUD were about 5 days long. With the IUD, they were 10 days or longer (heavy bleeding for about 2 days) and then just enough that I needed to wear a light-day tampon or pad. I would suggest if you wear tampons to also wear a pad or panty liner since you don't know how much heavier your cycle is going to be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
(female)

Atti11 HB User

MaineGirl-

Thanks for your reply! I actually decided to go ahead and try a diaphram first - I'm not rulingout the IUD for the future maybe after I have had a child. thanks!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:55 AM   #4
(female)

JLD1980 HB User

I would not advise Paraguard. My periods were extremely painful and heavy- which they hadn't been in years. Also I could never find the "string" that my MD told me to locate every month. Needless to say....It became displaced and I got pregnant. And this was almost a year after I had the device put in. If you are to get an IUD I would choose Mirena over paraguard. It has hormones and is more reliable.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
(female)

elizleigh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atti11 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm getting the copper (non-hormonal) IUD on wednesday. I saw my doctor today, and have come to the conclusion after trying extensively to use hormonal methods (different pills, the ring,) that hormones are not for me. I am an emotional wreck, gain weight, have horrible acne that doesn't affect me off of the pill, and am anxious all the time. So I am getting the copper IUD on Wednesday, and of course, still worried about the surfeit of side effects that can potential occur, as well as nervous about the entire insertion process.

I should metion that I am a soon to be engaged 23 year old woman who has never had children. I was given some presciptions to take the night before and an hour before (a painkiller and a cervical dialator).

I never have had horrible periods, and am aware that I may bleed more and ahve more cramps. I'm ok with that. I'm more worried about it getting lost or implanted or something! Can somebody calm by fears?

Since you have NOT had children, I would say that the painkillers that your doctor gave you are absolutely necessary and your doctor was extremely kind to give you them. I had mine inserted less than a month ago and I have not had children, and not to scare you, but it was extremely painful. I had to have her stop once because I almost passed out. I asked her several times before how painful it was since I hadn't had kids but she still didn't offer me ANY painkillers or anything so the whole experience wasn't one I would repeat again or would recommend to anyone who hasn't had children that are going in without anything to ease the pain or help with dilation. That stuff is definately necessary. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise - TRUST ME! Advil or Tylenol won't do the trick.

My doctor does have the Paraguard herself, so I figured if she has it, it must be a great form of birth control; and like you I was sick and tired of being a wreck on hormones. But, like any other form of BC, it has it's risks and side effects. But I was willing to take longer periods and more cramps for less moods etc... you know what I'm talking about! But it is over 99% effective and it's actually MORE effective than any other form of BC out there. Check the website, if you haven't already! Good luck with whatever you decide. But remember, if you do, GET ALL THE PAINKILLERS! YOU CAN!

Closed Thread