It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

krissy89 HB User
Unhappy Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and my problems

Ok, so I've only been having sex for about three months now. My live-in boyfriend was my first, and it seems I've been having nothing but problems since I lost my virginity...

Well, the day after I'd had sex for the first time, I ran up to the Health Dept. and asked about birth control pills. They prescribed Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo to me, and everything sounded pretty good.

Well, the good news is, it's cleared up the remainder of my teenage achne. But, I've been through several yeast and vaginal infections, and a urinary tract infection. I'm not sure if the pills had anything to do with this, I was just wondering if anyone else has had these troubles after starting any sort of birth control pill.

Anyway, my trouble now is that I'm having two periods in the same month. I've been on this pill for three months, and each month my period has came around the 7th and ended around the 10th. The bleeding hasn't really been any lighter than usual, and there are still cramps, but it was nice to have a shorter cycle. This month, however, my period came at it's normal date of the 7th - ended on the 10th, as usual... but then it started again on the 25th and hasn't let up yet.

And usually, before my period begins, there will be this brown discharge first. It's usually light, then gets heavier before I see any actual blood. This period is strange though because on the 25th, the brown discharge first appeared, but it stayed light until about the 27th, and then it got heavier. It's slacked off some, I think, but it's been 6 days since this second period began and I've yet to see any actual blood. Just this brown discharge. Is this normal?

I called the Health Dept. this morning and they asked me if I'd skipped any pills, because this can cause bleeding between cycles. I have missed pills, but it was last month and I always made them up. I also took a few pills 3-5 hours after I should have. I guess maybe this could affect my peroid? And she told me that it could also have something to do with an infection or something like that. Though, I can usually tell when I have an infection.

I wouldn't really consider this "bleeding between cycles" because A-There's been no actual blood. And B-This sucker feels like an actual cycle on on it's own, complete with cramps.

A period only two weeks after another? Is this normal? Has it happened to anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
(female)

chuzter HB User
Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and my problems

ive been on OTC-lo for almost 8 months.. but i never missed a pill.. always on time.. (im crazy about stuff like that) but the first 6 months i started on a monday.. but last month my body tricked me and started wednesday. and it scared me! but i didnt know you can start anytime on the green pill.. but i wasnt sure why my body was jumping around from monday - wednesday.. and NOW ive been spotting since tuesday i think? it starts off brown and very lite.. then turned pink.. then brown again.. kinda went away, then came back.. and now its blood. and im just friggin confused on if its my period.. but my green pills start on sunday! i dono if OTC-lo does this to people.. but im so confused.. its stupid when u follow a certain cycle then all the sudden ur body does a 360 and trips you out! bah.. i have bad cramps.. i think the dark blue pills are what i hate most about OTC-lo.. cuz those are my PMDD months.. when im on my green pills im fine.. no cramps.. they last 4 days, the end. but now i dono when 2 mark my calendar when my period starts.. cuz i dono why im bleeding b4 im suppost 2 start! ARGGGGG

i cant help but notice reading thses things how in-formational doctors are.. it makes me angry.. their paid to help you..espicaly with women questions.. then they charge u and arm and a leg for BS answers and perscriptions so u dono what the heck ur putting in ur body.. it just irritates me..

Last edited by chuzter; 12-15-2007 at 01:05 AM. Reason: P.s. i heard that if you constantly wash downstairs you get rid of good bacteria... and thats what causes Yeast infections..

Old 12-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
(female)

Sassafrass627 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzter View Post
i cant help but notice reading thses things how in-formational doctors are.. it makes me angry.. their paid to help you..espicaly with women questions.. then they charge u and arm and a leg for BS answers and perscriptions so u dono what the heck ur putting in ur body.. it just irritates me..
While it's your doctor's job to provide you with accurate and comprehensive care and information, it's ultimately your job to make sure that you understand that information before you leave their office. This includes understanding the medications that you're ingesting. Have a question for your doctor? Then make an appointment and don't leave until your questions are answered. It's as simple as that. When it comes down to it, your healthcare is ultimately in your hands.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
(female)

lsavoie HB User

oh thank god. I thought I was the only one with this, and I was convinced I was pregnant because all these sites keep telling me that brownish pink discharge is a sign of pregnancy. I've been on OTC-lo for three months now and never miss a pill except by a few hours. Since this is the first month that my boyfriend and i have been having sex without condoms, i've been paranoid about my impending period. I guess I just dont know what to expect. Everything was fine until yesterday (3 days into the dark blue pills) I started having cramps and started seeing browinsh blood. Now its gotten a little heavier... but I'm still freaked out. It's been accompanied by light cramps and some breast tenderness. I'm conflicted with being scared and just reassuring myself that I'm still in my first three months so everything is going to be a little new to me.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
(female)

chuzter HB User
Thumbs up Re: Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and my problems

haha no no.. trust me i was the same way! my guy is my first too (our 8 month is today!) and i was the SAME way.. i still kinda am.. but more leaniant off now.. cuz when im on my Dark blue pills.. and i get cramps.. i know im gonna have my period when the last of them come around and my green pills start. trust me. i worried myself so much i almost threw up. just take them on time, dont miss any, and they will work perfectly. i remember when i was on my 2nd month taking them, and i poped my pill out, and it broke in half. i couldnt tell you what i felt. i texted my best friend Freaked out of my mind. and shes like .. just take it, you'll be fine...
a couple months later my friend stopped her bc (cuz her and her bf broke up) and she met a new guy and they did it before she got back on.. and she didnt get her period, and she took a test and it was positive. my god, ive never been more scared in all my life. lol. but it turns out she was late.. but she got her period, (she went to the dr. and she wasnt preggo after all) im still new to the sex thing too.. i know its a huge responcibility, and i wanna be prepared no matter what, so i talked to my dr. and got on BC.. and i couldnt be happier. i know the first couple months suck.. but it does get better.. break through bleeding and spotting is normal and it comes and goes. i will not have sex on my period i think its disgusting. lol. but my last period started with light spotting then went really heavy.. and i guess my period came as well.. god my cramps hurt.. and the flow was heavy. but its over now (thank god) and i start my white pill on sunday. so i'm on time. its nice to have women to relate to when it comes 2 this kinda stuff. it was awkward enugh telling my mom i have sex.. and im 24... lol but we can help eachother out along the way

Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
(female)

lsavoie HB User

Haha I think I've been freaking my boyfriend out, crying on the phone all the time telling him that I'm convinced I'm pregnant... and that on top of that I'm convinced its ectopic. I've been having a little bit of pain on the left side of my abdomen... and I can't really explain whats causing it... started a few days ago accompanied by the brownish/white discharge. Have any of you guys ever felt this? I know my chances of being pregnant are so slim, and if I am, its even slimmer that its ectopic (not that I should be feeling it a week after conception anyways). I don't know, maybe its just nerves. Anyways, I had three pills left in my pack, but stopped taking them. I'm hoping that the onset of my period will make me stop losing my mind about everything. God, I feel so neurotic... even my gyno was like "uh, call me when you miss a period", but still its scary stuff.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
(female)

chuzter HB User

Why'd u stop taking them...? when u stop taking them u become firtile.. so ur chanes are higher to get pregnant. if it freaks you out then you need 2 have a long talk with ur dr. but quitting and getting back on all the time will mess up your period schedule.. :/

Old 01-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
(female)

Violinshot88 HB User

Yes, you should just keep taking pills even if you are worried because it can mess up your next cycle and stuff. Anyways, I'm the same way and in the same situation now. I have not missed any pills this month and have only been maybe 2 hrs late taking them, and now I have brown/black discharge. I have 2 pills left in my pack, and I'm really worried that I'm pregnant. I know the chances are really slim, but I can't tell if this is like implantation bleeding or what. Also, my bf always wears a condom, but like I said, I'm paranoid. Is this black/brown discharge normal???? Does anyone know????

Old 01-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
(female)

desertgirl HB User

I didn't have a lot of time to read all the replies, but make sure you go pee within an hour after having sex. My doctor told me that it's important to do so afterwards, since she told me this, I haven't had any infections of any kind down there.

Also, sometimes it takes your body awhile to adjust to the pill, especially if you're not taking it at the same time each day.

Hope this helps a little...

Closed Thread