It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
(female)

qwerty3 HB User
Taking BC pills an hour or 2 early/later than normal?

Does taking your birth control pills a couple of hours earlier or later than your normal time affect the effectiveness of them? For example if you usually take it at 6pm but you take it at 5pm or 8pm? like a couple times during the month. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
(female)

lauriec728 HB User
Re: Taking BC pills an hour or 2 early/later than normal?

i have never had a problem, i have taken them hours to a day late. i dont see a problem just as long as its not like 2 days or more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

qwerty3 -

I don't think there's a major risk for taking it earlier, if it's just a couple of hours. Typically, there is a 3-4 hour window for taking combination (estrogen/progestin) pills late, though. However, the "minipill" or progesin-only pills are less effective even if they're taken perfectly, so therefore, you can't take them late at all or there is more of a pregnancy risk. With any pill, if you've taken them 12 hours late, it's considered a missed pill. If you take them consistently in this way, you run the risk of pregnancy, and must use a backup method of contraception.

Last edited by kittywitty; 02-17-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Kittywitty did a great job of explaining and said what I was going to! If you are on a combination pill, you should definitely be okay if the timing is a little off, but of course not VERY off and not ALL the time. I'm on Yasmin and occasionally take my pill a little early or late but still in the general time area and never had a problem. It should still be VERY effective as long as you stay in this time area.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
(female)

qwerty3 HB User

I take microgestin fe which i believe is a combination pill. yeah if i take it earlier or later it's maybe 3 hours at the very longest. usually 1 hour.

i will remember to take it earlier rather than later if i have a choice. thanks for the info guys.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3 View Post
i will remember to take it earlier rather than later if i have a choice.
Actually, that isn't any better. Think about it, what matters is having a consistent amount of time between each pill. If you take it early, say 2 hours, sure, you're making the gap only 22 hours since the last one, but if you take your next one on time you've upped that gap to 26. See what I'm saying?

That said though, I don't think an hour or two either way will make that big a difference.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
(female)

qwerty3 HB User

ahh yes I understand good point. okay thank you for your info!

Closed Thread