It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
(male)

VeryWorriedBF HB User
A little worried...Wondering about birth Control and when it becomes effective

So by last night, my gf has been on birth control for 7 days (she actually started because her doctor recommended it for her ovarian cysts)
We dated for 4 years and have been sexually active for about the same, but we always only ever used condoms. i'm 24, she's 22 by the way.

But last night for the first time, we had unprotected sex, and just to be safe, I pulled out 2-3 seconds before ejaculating.

I know pulling out is not a safe contraceptive method, so I'm still a little worried about pregnancy. She says I have nothing to worried about, because she has allready been feeling the common symptoms that come along with first starting birth control, and she also said that it takes 7 days for it to start working.

Is this a very common practice? I'm sorry, i'm just a litttle worried right now and probably won't take this chance again, but I'm 100% sure I pulled out, and she is 100% sure it has been 7 days. Any response would be great. Am I just worrying too much?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
(female)

rhiannon777 HB User
Re: A little worried...Wondering about birth Control and when it becomes effective

Birth control pills are indeed supposed to start working in seven days. I think most people wait the seven days then ditch the condoms. It certainly won't hurt to use condoms for a couple more days if it would make you feel more comfortable, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. It is a little weird getting used to the idea that even though you're not using "protection" you're still protected!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
(male)

VeryWorriedBF HB User
Re: A little worried...Wondering about birth Control and when it becomes effective

Thank you for putting my mind at ease!
Yeah, I guess that's what I'm trying hard to get used to. The idea that we're still protected without a condom. I always used a condom so it seems weird to me. I was also just worried that having sex without a condom after exactly 7 days, it might've been still too early.

Thanks again for the reply!

Old 04-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Just wondering, did she happen to start her pills when her period started or the Sunday following? There are two ways your doctor recommends to starting the pill. If you start taking it the first day of your period, it is supposed to work right away without a backup method (or at least my pill, Yasmin works that way). Usually it's when you start the Sunday after that it takes at least a week to start working.

Pulling out ahead of time DOES help even if it's not reliable on its own. Typical use still works about 75-80% of the time. That, on top of the pill, should make you safe!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
(male)

VeryWorriedBF HB User

She takes Yasmin, and I remember her saying that she took it the first day of her period. That makes me feel a bit better anyways. Still a little worried. But I really appreciate the both of you responding.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Oh okay well if she DID take it the first day of her period, she is perfectly fine! Yasmin is good that it starts working right away when you take it at that time. It even says this in the pill information that comes with the pill (you can probably see it on their website too).

Closed Thread