It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
(female)

JuneBug86 HB User
Withdrawal Method

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else on here uses the withdrawal method of birth control? I have successfully used this method in my long term relationship for 2 years now, and no pregnancies. My sister has also used this method with her husband for 4 years, and no pregnancies yet. My parents also told me that when they also used the withdrawal method when they didnt want a child yet, and they never had an unwanted pregnancy.

Why does this birth control method hold such a taboo? I understand that this method is not for teenagers or people who havent been together very long and do not know each other's bodies that well. This method also isnt for people who aren't sure if their partner has an STD or not as it cant protect against STD's of course. However, many long term couples have complete success using this method. As long as the man is able to know EXACTLY when he is going to come and he pulls out in time, and of course doesnt mind the interruption either.

There is also very little evidence that the precum has any sperm in it. The only way it could have sperm in it is if the man hasnt urinated in between orgasms to "clean" the leftover sperm out.

I know all the doctors tell everyone that this method isnt very safe, and blah blah blah, but cmon, who know who they are supporting! The drug companies of course! I will never go on a pill again in my life. I cant stand the side effects they give you. They make you gain weight, they make your sex drive go away, they make you moody, etc, etc.

So, please, anyone who has used this method before please post in this thread. Anyone who feels like discussing this method, please discuss it here with me. I want to know why there is such little education about this completely viable form of birth control. Many poorer countries use this method because they cannot afford other methods. Those countries show no more or less of a birth rate than those with access to other BC methods.

I am not trying to condone this method for teens or people who have sex with people they do not know very well. This method can only be successful with couples who know each others bodies very well. The man MUST be able to pull out in time, which may be difficult for some men.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-07-2008 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting policy section titled "How to share information".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Withdrawal Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug86 View Post
As long as the man is able to know EXACTLY when he is going to come and he pulls out in time.
That right there is the main reason it doesn't work. The other reason is that if a couple has intercourse twice in a row, the second time the man enters, his urethra will still be full of perfectly viable semen. So sure, IF those two problems aren't an issue, it could work, but if you look at statistics, even with 'perfect use' something is going wrong because the numbers show that a lot of women still get pregnant using that method.

Anyway, it can work, there are plenty of people who can swear to it, but not all the time for everyone, and that's what people should take into consideration if they want to risk using this method. It has a very high failure rate and just because it's worked for so-and-so, doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone else. Basically, with such a high failure rate, it should only be risked by people who wouldn't mind a pregnancy that much.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
(female)

fallenangel81 HB User

I used it for 6 yrs with my ex husband and never had a scare. And yeah knowing your bodies and realationship with one another helps. Im only going on birth control now to help regulate my period!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Thisby is right, it really should only be used by people who can afford an "oops" in case it happens. Otherwise, it's just way too risky, and it can potentially lead to pregnancy, which many couples are worried about.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
(female)

kittiekatt23 HB User

My older sister and her boyfriend actually have a son, because they used this method. *I* do not think it is very SAFE method. I use the depo shot and so does my sister now. It has worked for the both of us. As for teens, when I first became sexually active with my fiance (I was about 17) I was not on BC. We used the withdrawl method for about month or 2. He did a mighty fine job of it, because we don't have ANY kids. That's just *MY* take on it.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I know a few people who have had a child and they pulled out in time, but isn't it correct that in order for the withdrawal method to work more accurately, the man must use the restroom first before sex? That way any residual sperm inside (if there is any) comes out. I remember some posts on here about that and how when used perfectly, it can work pretty well. The people I knew that had children would just pull out in time but didn't do the peeing before sex rule. It may also be that maybe some people are more fertile anyway. I even know a virgin who got pregnant when a guy ejaculated near her vagina on the outside.

Just be very, very careful and it's up to you what birth control method you want to use. I use the withdrawal method in addition to the pill. Without the pill I get bad stomach aches during my period and my period is irregular, so I will be staying on it. I just think the withdrawal method is an easier way to clean up afterwards and it eases my guy's mind and makes him feel a little "safer" about pregnancy.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
(female)

jessi330 HB User

It is not just about pulling out before he ejaculates, sperm is not just located in the testes, it exists in the vas deferens, the tube from the testes into the shaft of the penis.

You may know people that have used this way and got lucky, but it's so very risky.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
(female)

bleigh HB User

My husband and I have been doing this for 10 years. The only two times he didn't withdraw, I got pregnant. I did have an IUD for about a year after our second child, but still kept up with the method even with that in place. Of course, would not recommend this for couples who are not prepared to get pregnant or who may be worried about STD's. This method is ONLY for those who are in serious, monogamous relationships where the potential of pregnancy is a good thing.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Very true! It seems like it may work for SOME but not all, so it's very, very risky. If pregnancy isn't an option, it isn't worth the risk.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
(female)

eavabug HB User

I used this method for over 6 years and never had any problems with it. I currently have an IUD which I hate and would love to go back to the withdrawal method but am prevented from doing so due to the medication I have to take.

I agree with almost everyone on here who states that it should only be used as a means of birth control if you and your partner have excepted the fact that you may create a child.

Closed Thread