It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kirsten07 HB User
considering Mirena (iuc) after having baby

i am 19 and i just had a baby he's almost 2 months now. i am considering getting an IUC mirena put in for birth control since i was on the pill when i got pregnant, does anyone have it and how is it working for you? also, i have had sex probably 3 times since, with a condom of course, but i've been super paranoid i'm going to become pregnant again i've never used a condom only as b.c. i am going into my doc tomorrow for my consult on mirena so i'll be getting it soon just wondering if it works well and if it hurts afterwards.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
(female)

Ducky74 HB User
Re: considering Mirena (iuc) after having baby

I have Mirena now, in fact just had it replaced this past year since it lasts for 5 yrs. I LOVE IT!!! I have not had my period in 6 yrs---can you say awesome! Aside from that, I didn't experience any weight gain as you may with some birth control, (in fact lost weight) and no mood swings, other than just being a typical emotional woman! The main reason I chose it the first time was because of the horrible cramping and migranes that birth control pills caused me. I tried so many types and they just didn't work. I have experienced none of that with Mirena. My OBGYN and many of her staff members have it as well and call it the "secret Mirena club". I plan on using this for years to come and will have it replaced every 5 yrs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
(female)

deannaB HB User

Kirsten07,
My Mirena story is:

On 9/27/07 I decided, simply for convenience, to have the Mirena IUD inserted by suggestion from my OB, who just thought it was the greatest thing. Within 3 weeks I suffered a horrible panic attack in the middle of the night and from that time on, I constantly felt foggy, light-headed, and I never felt like I was really "here"..... Like it was all a dream (I knew I was there physically, but it was almost like an out of body experience).
On my 1 month checkup with my OB, he said that the Mirena could not have caused the anxiety and to give it some time for my body to adjust. I was concerned that I hadn't had a period yet and he indicated that it is normal and it's ok not to menstruate ever month.
Fast forward to 6 weeks ago... The fogginess seemed to dissipate somewhat, but I started to worry about EVERYTHING, not normal worrying either, but excessive worry and the anxiety started to build in bad. Then, while simply watching a movie with my husband, I felt this sudden waive of anxiety over nothing. So, I decided, that's it, I'm googling Mirena and anxiety to see what I can find. I found tons of websites with people talking about the same damn thing as I was going through.
I immediately saw my primary care and he had indicated that, yes, the Mirena could very well be the cause of my symptoms (anxiety, excessive worry, panic attacks, moodiness, NO LIBIDO, poor motivation, etc). Unfortunately, by this time I've already seen a psych and been put on zoloft and lorazepam. However, my primary care does think it is a good idea that I continue with the anti-anxiety meds to help me get over this hump.
3+ weeks ago, the IUD was finally removed (no pain and minimal spotting) and I immediately started my old pill again (which I was on for 2 years with no problem). I contemplated going hormone free for a month or so, but I've read about so many woman having problems with their 1st and 2nd periods, so I thought this would help me. During my appointment, neither the nurse or my OB were surprised that I was experiencing these symptoms and that if I don't begin to feel better over the next 3 weeks, to call him so we can discuss my options.
I can't say for sure that I would be feeling this way now if I never had the IUD put in, but it is certainly coincidental that I'm feeling like this after a change in hormones.
Mirena has worked well for some woman, but if you have the slightest sensitivity to BC, I do not recommend it.
I'm sorry, but it's just not normal or healthy for a woman not to menstrate. I just started my first period in 8 months and I feel better today than I have in just as long.
Good luck with your choice and I hope everything works out.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
(female)

pjtadsp HB User

i don't know how many people have had bad experiences with mirena but i am one of them. it seems that there are people who love it so just be aware of the side effects.

my main decision to have mirena removed after a year was due to acne. after doing some research i found that i was suffering from other side effects too: depression, hair loss, and no libido. after having mirena removed and my dr telling me that none of my symptoms were due to mirena i did more research on the internet only to find that i have in fact suffered even more symptoms!! i had experienced vertigo(dizzyness) for which my dr didnt even correlate to mirena, severe cramping and bad excema(that cleared up just a few days after removal of mirena).

i really don't know why my dr recommended mirena to me when i have read that i am not a good candidate. i don't know how to approach my dr but i really have to discuss with her my findings and the effects that i have suffered.

my dr highly recommended mirena to me after the birth of my daughter. i had been on birth control pills for many years with no major side effects but didn't think it was convenient being a new mom and was concerned as i was breastfeeding. i've been led to believe that breastfeeding is safe with mirena but have read otherwise. i just hope my daughter doesnt suffer from me having used mirena.

if you choose mirena, i wish you all the best as its definitely a very convenient choice for a new mom. i was very happy until i found out that i was actually suffering from it.

Last edited by pjtadsp; 05-14-2008 at 01:52 AM.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

Hi Kirsten, I hope the Mirena works for you. I just had mine inserted a little over a month ago and so far so good...other than the bleeding I've had since it's been put in. I've pretty much been bleeding since my son was born on 3/3. My Dr. said to give it a few more months and my periods should lighten or possibly even go away. I got mine for the same reason...my 1st pregnancy I was on the pill so I am scared to use that method again!

I like reading about everyone's Mirena stories, good or bad, since I am new to the IUC.

Closed Thread