It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
(female)

jennymack64 HB User
Paragard IUD

I have had the paragard iud since february 2008 and there have only been a few days where i did not bleed. Is this normal and what can i do to control the bleeding? How long should i expect to bleed? Anyone else have the same or similar experience?

Last edited by jennymack64; 05-30-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
(female)

Ibycus HB User
Re: what controls heavy bleeding after copper iud insertion

I got my paragard around March/Apr. I am not bleeding constantly, but I do spot nearly every day. I also have heavy cramping at the same time every day. I am waiting it out. I really don't want to go through having it taken out and I can't go back to hormones. I read that the first six months are the worst, so hopefully you should have some relief soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
(female)

arychel HB User

Hmm, I guess I have been really lucky. I have had really normal periods since my copper iud was inserted in September of 2007. I had an initial scare where I thought it was being expelled, but it turned out to be okay after I had it checked. I think some people react to it differently. You should contact your Dr. if you are concerned about your bleeding.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
(female)

Ibycus HB User
Re: Paragard IUD

I also had my paragard put in in Feb 08. I was not spotting every day until about two months ago. It's particularly bad after sex. I don't understand why I went about six months before the problems started. I also have the heavy cramping at the same time every day. It looks like I will have to take it out. Now I'm worried about not going back to normal even after it's out.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #5
(female)

channie1 HB User

Hi, I see some of you have had bleeding problems with the iud. I got the paraguard iud in june 08. I have never had kids so my doctor told me at first the bleeding would a lot, but now its the 1st of december 3 days short of my 6 months of having the paraguard and i bleed all the time, for the last month it has been so heavy I am getting scared. I called the doctor and she said nothing. "As long as I was not filling a pad or tampon every hour..." Is my body rejecting this thing? The bleeding stopped for a couple of days (3 times only) but when I had sex the bleeding started again and HEAVY, Help what do I do I really need some advice!!!! Has your quit bleeding yet if you got in Feb. you have had it a few months longer then me, did you hang in there or what????

Old 10-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
(female)

stefm HB User

disclaimer: i'm not a doctor, so please consult yours before following any of my advice.

i had a paraguard IUD inserted about a month ago and had pretty heavy cramping for the first week and then moderate cramping and spotting for a couple more weeks, and THEN i got my first period. whoa. it was intense, both in terms of cramps and blood flow. by day 5 with no end in sight, i was getting concerned about whether this IUD thing was for me. so i did some internet research, read other horror stories, and eventually came across an unbelievably simple solution: ibuprofen. seriously. not any other pain reliever, but ibuprofen specifically.

the information i read recommended starting a regular ibuprofen regimen (following instructions on the bottle) about a week before your period and continuing it all the way through. i started taking ibuprofen at the end of day 5 and my period lightened significantly within the first dose and was done within 24 hours. seriously. i stopped taking ibuprofen a few days after my period and then the mild cramping started up again, but as soon as i resumed regular doses of ibuprofen, all cramps went away.

now, i have not had period #2 yet to test whether i can prevent the heavy bleeding and cramps from the beginning, but after such immediate results last time, i feel optimistic.

the reason why ibuprofen works so well, as i understand it, is that part of what's happening with IUD symptoms is that your body realizes there's a foreign object in there and the uterus becomes inflamed. ibuprofen is particularly good at reducing inflammation (compared to other pain relievers), and something about its specific chemical structure works especially well for uterine inflammation.

i have no idea why doctors don't recommend an ibuprofen regimen as a normal step in getting an IUD, but i have a feeling that lots of people are suffering unnecessarily!

Last edited by moderator2; 10-10-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

The Following User Says Thank You to stefm For This Useful Post:
Remod (04-20-2011)
Old 10-25-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
(female)

laurendanielle HB User

Possibly the reason why a doctor would not recommend a course of ibuprofen such as what you have suggested is due to the adverse effects it could have on your body in the long term. It sounds as though you are taking too much, even if you are following the directions on the box. There should to be a message printed on the label that says something like ‘if pain persists please see a doctor’. Does this not sound warning bells?
By the sound of what you are saying, you will be taking ibuprofen for at least – if not more, 10 out of your thirty day cycle over a period of twelve months. Taking into account the irregularity in periods that others have mentioned then this amount is likely to increase.
I am sorry but that sounds like a huge amount and I am sure this will do your body a lot of harm over time. The adverse effects of the long-term use of anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen are well known and include things like increased risk of gastrointestinal bleeding, kidney failure, heart disease, diarrhoea, hypertension, headaches, dizziness, and irritable bowel syndrome. In addition they can be addictive. I think you need to do some more research and ask for your doctor’s advice.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
(female)

stefm HB User

agreed! i do think asking a doctor's advice is extremely important and i do not advocate taking any medication unnecessarily or for extended time without consulting a professional. ibuprofen certainly has negative side-effects if used excessively or over the long-term and shouldn't be treated casually. i have no intention of continuing to use ibuprofen for an extended period of time and wouldn't recommend it for anyone else; if i continue to have severe symptoms, i will seek medical advice.

BUT, as soon as i took ibuprofen (following recommended dosage) my severe bleeding and cramps ENDED and i have not had any ongoing cramping or even spotting of the sort that many people posting to these forums continue to experience in the first months after an IUD insertion. my doctor told me that many people experience unusually heavy periods for the first two or three cycles and then return to normal once their body adjusts to the IUD, so it seems like recommending a few days of ibuprofen use during that adjustment period would be beneficial medical advice. i probably took ibuprofen steadily for a week, which is well within the 10-day limit recommended on the bottle.

what happened for me, and what i offer as encouragement for others in similar situations, is that ibuprofen helped control that initial inflammation and perhaps could have prevented it entirely if i'd been advised about it earlier on.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
(female)

jessie1978 HB User

o my goddess i am so happy you posted your post im going to try am ibuprofen regemin i got my paragard 3 weeks ago and have bleed every day except 3 i was getting real scared

Last edited by jessie1978; 06-20-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #10
(female)

jessie1978 HB User

i started an ibuprofen regemin yesterday i already have had alot less cramping and bleeding

Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
(female)

emsassist HB User

THANK YOU!! I have had my IUD for approximately 1 month. This week is my first period with it in and it has been horrible. The flow and cramping has been dibilitating. I am off to the store right now to get some Iburprofen. I will try anything as this is only day 3 and until today flow was normal. I was scared to death when I started going through a tampon every 90minutes today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefm View Post
disclaimer: i'm not a doctor, so please consult yours before following any of my advice.

i had a paraguard IUD inserted about a month ago and had pretty heavy cramping for the first week and then moderate cramping and spotting for a couple more weeks, and THEN i got my first period. whoa. it was intense, both in terms of cramps and blood flow. by day 5 with no end in sight, i was getting concerned about whether this IUD thing was for me. so i did some internet research, read other horror stories, and eventually came across an unbelievably simple solution: ibuprofen. seriously. not any other pain reliever, but ibuprofen specifically.

the information i read recommended starting a regular ibuprofen regimen (following instructions on the bottle) about a week before your period and continuing it all the way through. i started taking ibuprofen at the end of day 5 and my period lightened significantly within the first dose and was done within 24 hours. seriously. i stopped taking ibuprofen a few days after my period and then the mild cramping started up again, but as soon as i resumed regular doses of ibuprofen, all cramps went away.

now, i have not had period #2 yet to test whether i can prevent the heavy bleeding and cramps from the beginning, but after such immediate results last time, i feel optimistic.

the reason why ibuprofen works so well, as i understand it, is that part of what's happening with IUD symptoms is that your body realizes there's a foreign object in there and the uterus becomes inflamed. ibuprofen is particularly good at reducing inflammation (compared to other pain relievers), and something about its specific chemical structure works especially well for uterine inflammation.

i have no idea why doctors don't recommend an ibuprofen regimen as a normal step in getting an IUD, but i have a feeling that lots of people are suffering unnecessarily!

Old 07-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #12
(female)

kfowler74 HB User
Re: Paragard IUD

I actually had a copper IUD until about a year ago. I found that for a week or so after having it put in I was cramping, my periods actually got a lot heavier than before the IUD. About a year ago while having my period I was bleeding so heavily that at night I would put an adult diaper on just to make it a little easier to make thru the night Anyhow I immediately called my doctor and they said that it was possible that it was hemeraging so we decided to have it removed. I really wished that it worked for me because I liked the fact that there were no hormones involved with that form of birth control. I also liked the fact that when I wanted to try and get pregnant I would be able to have it removed and begin immediately. I wish you the best of luck, I hope it works out for you. Definately call your doctor to discuss your issues though if for anything else to ease your worries.

Last edited by kfowler74; 07-11-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: misspelled a word

The following user gives a hug of support to kfowler74:
Remod (05-01-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
(female)

Lauramc HB User

Hello,
I have had my copper IUD for 4 months now. The first month I had no problems at all and I loved it. On the second month I started getting sharp pains an some spotting. The third month I started getting regular spotting almost every day. My periods became 7 days long instead of 4 without IUD, also a lot more heavier. I went to check if everything was ok, since I kept spotting all the time and also bleeding after sex. The doctor could not find any problems but said that it is NOT normal to constantly spot and bleed after sex. I had another period since then. Was fine for 3 days and then heavy spotting started again This time it is more like a light period than just spotting.
I called again and my doctor said that this IUD is not working right for me and I need to have it removed. That's said news, because I really love the idea and the convenience of not using condoms or hormonal birth control. I have never had children, so hopefully after I do it works. The doctor also said that I will get an Iron level test, since bleeding every day will result in low Iron levels.
If you bleed too much and constantly, call your doctor.
Being a woman is not easy, for sure.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lauramc:
Remod (05-01-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Lauramc For This Useful Post:
Remod (05-01-2011)
Old 05-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
(female)

Remod HB User
Thumbs up Re: what controls heavy bleeding after copper iud insertion

will For me I have just been taking Iburofen 200mg every 5 hours I started doing that the first day and that has help me so so much I have not had relly heavy bleeding just light this month dont no about next month I thank it is becaus I have been taking the Ibuprofen it is like it was made just for people that have the IUD I got my Cooper T IUD 4/28/11 of April ther was no pain at all the next day I check my IUD and it was ok then 3rd day I check it and to me it felt longer so I called planned parenthood and I was told that maybe nombal for me today may 5/1/11 I check it flet ok put I am not a doctor at all put IF you want to try and see for your self if it will help with the bleeding then I say go a head it warth it hop it do's help you good luck.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #15
(female)

Remod HB User

HI I got my IUD COOPER T in 4/28/11 April so it is my 4th day today I HAVe low red and whit cell counts so I have to take Iron for the rest of my life for me I take 65mg once a day I found out after I became a type 1 DIAbetic so this was way befor I got my IUD So I hope it all go's well for you good luck with it all.

Closed Thread