It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

0eris0 HB User
Femcon Fe and NO period!!!

In April my ObGyn started me on Femcon Fe, after 5 months of hell with Seasonique. He told me it was okay to just start taking it right away rather than waiting for my period and starting on a Sunday.

I began taking it Tues 04-08 (my 5th pack of Seasonique was started the Sun before which was the 6th). The following week I was vacationing and I had breakthrough bleeding which we figured would happen. It began on 04-17 and only lasted a few days.

I continued taking the Femcon Fe as prescribed. When I got to the "brown reminder pills" (04-29) I only experienced the brownish (old blood) spotting for a few days. I never got an actual period. I just figured it was due to the breakthrough bleeding I had earlier in the month. So I went on taking it as I should.

When it was time for the reminder pills on my 2nd month (05-27) my period still didn't come. I haven't even had any spotting and the 7 day strech of when it should have come is over!!!

--Has anyone else had this problem with Femcon? It seems odd to me that I am taking a BC and not getting AF.

All month I have "felt" like AF was going to come, but it didn't. I haven't had any cramping which is typical for me along with super sore breasts. This time around the only thing that has felt sensitive are my areolas. Very little nausea (the Seasonique made me super sick all of that time) no vomittng. I've been a little moody and have found myself irritated or upset over nothing, lower backache (not a normal AF symptom for me), and find myself getting tired earlier than normal and crashing out as soon as my head hits the pillow. To play it safe I took a home pregnancy test this morning and it was negative.

I'm confused! I know I need to contact my ObGyn, but I wanted to see if anyone else has been through this so I don't feel nearly as "insane".

Last edited by 0eris0; 06-04-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Femcon Fe and NO period!!!

Some pills have the added benefit of causing complete stopping of the period. I would probably be happy if it had that affect on me but for some reason tons of women don't like it. Since not having a period while on the pill is not an indicator of pregnancy when you're on the pill, then it shouldn't be a problem. But if you really want to have AF then just switch to a different pill. There are plenty of them out there for you to choose from.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
(female)

0eris0 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
Some pills have the added benefit of causing complete stopping of the period. I would probably be happy if it had that affect on me but for some reason tons of women don't like it. Since not having a period while on the pill is not an indicator of pregnancy when you're on the pill, then it shouldn't be a problem. But if you really want to have AF then just switch to a different pill. There are plenty of them out there for you to choose from.
Really? I think that is something my doc should have told me. I took the Seasonique before b/c my previous ObGyn offered it as a sample. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try it, but did not intend on taking anything that would stop AF. I actually had to stop the Seasonique b/c 5 mos in it was making me feel extremely ill all of the time.

I have used other types before. Tri-Leveln worked well for a couple years, but I was 17 when I started it. After that I switched to Depo for 2 yrs and won't ever go back to it. I was BC free for another yr or two and tried Yasmin which was not a good choice for me. Went BC free for about another yr. Got on Seasonique, had a tough time with it and now am working through Femcon.

Last edited by 0eris0; 06-04-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Loestrin24fe is one of the pills that frequently causes absent periods. And also I've read that Yaz and Yasmin have been known to do that for some women, as well. I'm surprised your doctor didn't say anything to you about it because it's a very well known potential side effect from being on the pill.

Anyways, if you don't like not having a period, you should definitely switch to something else. Your experience of having been on several different brands is exactly what majority of women go through when looking for a pill. In the end I discovered for myself that none of them provided me enough of a benefit to side effect ratio, so I quit all together. But some women have found one they like and it's working for them. I still think that everyone has some type of side effect from it, but the severity ranges from very mild to extreme. And majority of women just put up with it because the side effects aren't annoying them as much as they do for other women.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
(female)

0eris0 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
Loestrin24fe is one of the pills that frequently causes absent periods. And also I've read that Yaz and Yasmin have been known to do that for some women, as well. I'm surprised your doctor didn't say anything to you about it because it's a very well known potential side effect from being on the pill.

Anyways, if you don't like not having a period, you should definitely switch to something else. Your experience of having been on several different brands is exactly what majority of women go through when looking for a pill. In the end I discovered for myself that none of them provided me enough of a benefit to side effect ratio, so I quit all together. But some women have found one they like and it's working for them. I still think that everyone has some type of side effect from it, but the severity ranges from very mild to extreme. And majority of women just put up with it because the side effects aren't annoying them as much as they do for other women.
I'm surprised he didn't either. I called and left a message, but the office has yet to call me back (typical I work for an Endocrinology practice).

Anyhow, I've heard that it takes a lot of tries before finding the right one if you can find one at all. I'd be happy to toss them all aside and I think I may have to have a talk with my SO about it.

Heh, I felt better all around before I went messing with my hormones again. We may have that much in common!!

Thx for responding.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
(female)

lotsofhope77 HB User

Ive been on Femcon Fe for about two and a half weeks.Like 0eris0 has mentioned,i have noticed im getting upset over small issues and im falling asleep pretty quickly.As for the period,i will just have to wait and see for a couple more days.

Closed Thread