It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
(female)

mckelly82 HB User
why would i start my period a week early when i'm on the pill

I'm currently on ortho tri lo. I didn't take the placebo pills on my last pack to skip having my period and just started a new one right away. I'm currently a week away from taking the placebo pills on my next pack and I just started my period with heavy clotting and the most severe cramping I have ever experienced. To the point where they felt like contractions coming and going every few minutes and I couldn't move for hours. It's been mentioned to me that these are signs of a miscarriage. I usually get pretty bad cramps, but this is just excruciating and unbearable. The last time I had sex was about a month ago and it was unprotected, but I take my pills like clockwork. Could this just be a side effect of skipping my last period? If so, does this mean that I'm going to have my normal period once I start the placebo pills?? Thanks for you help.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User
Re: why would i start my period a week early when i'm on the pill

The pill for me screws up my system, so I never have a regular period when I am on the pill. When I am off the pill, my period is regular. It might take a while to get you regular again, and maybe that pill is not right for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

How long have you been on the pill? It is possible to get pregnant while on the pill, especially if you just started taking it and didn't use protection. If you think you might be having a miscarriage you could take a pregnancy test. When I skip my period I never get the following period early so I'm not sure if you will still get your period when you take the inactive pills.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
(male)

bigweights HB User

birth control takes one whole month to start working before you should do anything

Old 06-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
(female)

mckelly82 HB User

I've been on the pill for years so I know it's working. And I've skipped a period before as well and didn't have the same issue, but that was a couple years ago when I was taking Desogen. So I'm not too sure. I will just have to pee on a stick. I hate doing that.

Thanks for the replies. This board is great!

Last edited by mckelly82; 06-25-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

The problem is that whenever you're on a tricyclic pill, you're going to have some problems skipping. It wasn't designed for skipping your period. The reason why you didn't have the problem with Desogen is because it's all one level of hormones the entire month and that makes it more viable for skipping.

I'm frankly not at all surprised that you're having this problem. Look around the board some more and you'll see how many women have had problems skipping when they're on a tricyclic pill. If you want to do that, you're going to have to get on a monophasic pill, because it works a lot better with a lot fewer problems.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
(female)

mckelly82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
The problem is that whenever you're on a tricyclic pill, you're going to have some problems skipping. It wasn't designed for skipping your period. The reason why you didn't have the problem with Desogen is because it's all one level of hormones the entire month and that makes it more viable for skipping.

I'm frankly not at all surprised that you're having this problem. Look around the board some more and you'll see how many women have had problems skipping when they're on a tricyclic pill. If you want to do that, you're going to have to get on a monophasic pill, because it works a lot better with a lot fewer problems.
Thank you for your help! That all makes perfect sense now.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

I just want to agree with what Kzsan said. I really doubt it was a miscarriage, or that it's necessary to wait a whole month before bc works (and that doesn't apply to you anyway). It has to be the fact that it's a triphasic. Most women report early periods or continuous spotting if they try to skip on a triphasic... it just doesn't work...

Closed Thread