It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

Synergie HB User
Mirena Questions... scared, apt is on Thurs

I am 32 years old, have been on Depo Provera for the last 4+ yrs, and want to switch to Mirena. I have already seen the Gyno last week for a prelim apt (just talking) and he agreed my reasons were justifiable and he seems to think it would be good for me... (reasons were fears of prolonged use of depo and osteoporosis, being 33 soon and no kids I wanted a more reversible BC, did not want to take pills every night and I cant take estrogen ones anyway and I wanted the possibility of none to very light periods - I have no periods at all with depo provera) Also being in the military on ship, having to not have to worry about pills or shots at all will be much better.

He thinks that since Depo and Mirena have the same hormone, my body should work the same way - that is I may end up with no periods on Mirena (cross fingers) and the ammount of hormone is much less in Mirena so I wont have any systemic effects (I have ocassional acne on Depo and have gained 15 lbs on it)

My questions are: Since I have not had any children, just how painful will the insertion be? I do have a high tolerance for pain (I choose to get no freezing at the dentist) and as well, he said he WILL be using freezing for the insertion, and I have a scrip for Misoprostol to use the night before to help soften the cervix. As well, I will be taking 800 mg of Motrin before the apt. Will these measures help and how much? I have read that Mirena insertion can be SEVERE pain, and I am getting very nervous... the apt is Thursday.

Second question has to do with one of the side effects... I have read that many people have heavy bleeding when Mirena is first inserted that can last on and off for a few months then it tapers off to very light or no periods. My Last Depo Provera shot was beginning of May so I am still covered until first of August... thats a 1 month overlap of Progesterone in my system... and I am hoping that it will help prevent this heavy bleeding since my system is already accustomed to the progesterone. Can anyone shed some light on this? And since Mirena and Depo do have the same hormone, and I have tolerated the shot very well with almost no side effects (except no periods) does that mean I have a good chance of tolerating the Mirena IUD?

Anyone with Mirena can share their experience?? Thanks so much

Syn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread