It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
(female)

JMURidr2007 HB User
Question Best non-hormonal birth control

I have been on the patch, Ortho Evra, for almost 3 years now and, though it didn't at first, it has started to take a serious toll on my sex drive. I would love to deal with this problem, but it happened the last time I was on the patch and I went off of it that time and went back to normal. I am concerned however that non-hormonal birth control isn't as effective as the pill or patch might be. Other than condoms, could anyone give me advice on the best form of non-hormonal birth control and how effective it is. Thank you so much!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
(female)

DesperatePerson HB User
Re: Best non-hormonal birth control

I believe there is at least one form of non-hormonal birth control that is actually more effective. And that is Tubal Ligation. However, it still decreases your sex drive (or so I hear) and is permanent.

Another one I've been looking into is the Copper IUD. It is less effective than the hormonal IUD, and apparently it can cause heavy bleeding. And I think IUD's are generally for women who have been pregnant?

There doesn't seem to be many non-hormonal birth control options out there

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User

anyone can get an IUD and they are removable.

your best bet would be a copper IUD, and they are pretty effective against pregnancy. The copper makes you temporarily sterile.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User

According to every piece of information I've read in the past about IUDs states that you cannot get one unless you've had a child. Many doctors simply will not do it; however, recent reports and information about this method state that most women can use one (except those allergic to copper or the hormone LNG). I think it's rather strange that this information has changed so quickly since I considered getting one a couple of years ago but changed my mind because I realized that you have to have had a child; not anymore I guess.

One of my friends tried to get one a while ago because she was on depo povera for a couple of years and was sick of the side-effects and constantly being worried about pregnancy (since she stopped having periods altogether). She though the IUD was a dream come true and went to the doctor but was rejected because she hasn't had a child.
And also, there are two types of IUD... one contains hormones and the other does not.

So you're pretty much stuck with condoms and/or sperimicide unless you've had a child or can find a doctor who will insert an IUD regardless... which probably won't be a problem if you call around and ask whether or not they will do it.

Last edited by EllieFrog; 08-29-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User

my doctor actually offered the IUD to me as an option. She said the only reason they think that is because its harder to insert on women who have not had children... but it is possible. She says its a little more painful and trickier to insert but it can be done.

I think you just have to be a little pushy. It's your right to have whatever birth control that you want. My friend has the copper IUD and she does not have any children.. and they never said she shouldn't or couldn't get one.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:37 AM   #6
(female)

JMURidr2007 HB User

Thanks for all the input. I do not have children, though my husband and I are going to try for that in another couple of years. I guess I have been a little scared of the copper IUDs because I have heard some horror stories about them. People who didn't know they were allergic before having it inserted and other people who started having crazy discharge. That sort of thing. Any copper IUD sucess stories?

Old 09-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I think what can also happen with the IUD if you haven't had a child is that your body is more like to reject (expel) it as well. I do have the copper IUD, and I like it, but I have had a baby. I also have a history of extremely light periods, so I don't get heavy bleeding with the IUD. I don't have any issue with strange discharge or cramping.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
(female)

arychel HB User

I would consider my use of the copper iud (paragard) a success. I have not had a child either, and my experience has been without incident. Every person's body is different, though so there are no guarantees. If your insurance covers it, try it... if you don't like it, you can always have it taken out. I am really happy to be free from hormonal birth control. Now I actually have a real cycle complete with ovulations. I think if and when I do want to get pregnant, my body will be in better shape having had no hormones in it for awhile.

FYI, I had my iud inserted at a university health center. I know that planned parenthoods will do them as well for those who haven't had a baby. I think most normal OB GYNs though should not balk at the request since having a kid is not a precondition. Perhaps, though it is best to see a "pro" for the insertion, since for me that was the worst part.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #9
(female)

MinMin24 HB User

Hi ladies I just thought that I would let you know that obgyn's will insert a Iud without having a child. I am 28 years old and have not been pregnant nor had a child and my dr suggested that I get an Iud to help my heavy bleeding after a lo -estrogen birth control pill didn't work. However I will not be going on the copper Iud but Mirena which is the one with the hormone in it. I will keep everyone informed on how it goes but just thought I would let you know that your doctor will do it without having had a child!

Closed Thread