It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

lisa0602 HB User
Does an i.u.d. cause miscarriage?

Does an i.u.d. cause miscarriage? I am so confused and worried about this, I am totally against any kind of abortion. My doctor explained to me that it doesn't cause a miscarriage, but this makes me wonder b/c not as many people would want one if they knew that it would do this. Someone please help.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-21-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Disallowed topic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
(female)

beaniegirl HB User
Re: Does an i.u.d. cause miscarriage?

first of all, a doctor would not insert an IUD into a confirmed pregnant woman. secondly, i believe you are thinking of IUDs being inserted within five days of unprotected sex as a form of emergency contraception. in this case, this would technically not be a miscarriage, as the IUD is being place to prevent implantation, not pregnancy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
(female)

Cakies HB User
Re: Does an i.u.d. cause miscarriage?

this is a touchy subject. there are two IUD's and they work differently the Mirena works by distributing a hormone that thickens cervical mucous, which blocks sperm from entering the uterus and in many women this hormone prevents oveulation which is why many women stop having periods on mirena. It is also speculated that the hormone in Mirena makes the endomitrial lining unfit for implantation and therefore if an egg is fertilized by a sperm it will not be able to implant into the endomitriol lining and the fertilized egg will never grow into a viable pregnancy. The copper IUD works because for some reason copper interferes with the sperms ability to swim. It is also speculated that it makes the endomitrial lining unfit for implantation. Now remember that it is not know for sure that this happens often if at all, and this is not the primary way that these contraceptives work. Also consider that the pill also is thought to thin the endomitrial lining and make it unfit for implantation. In the medical field they usually consider a pregnancy to begin when implantation occurs and therefore preventing implantation is not abortion or miscarriage because the pregnancy is not established until implantation has occurred. It is a personal decision, if you believe that pregnancy begins when the sperm meets the egg then you may not be comfortable using the pill, patch, shot, or IUD's. Your other options would be condoms, diaphram, cervical caps, spermisides, and Natural family Planning methods.

Last edited by Cakies; 09-22-2008 at 10:12 AM.

Closed Thread