It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
(female)

Tammi412 HB User
I need some help trying to figure out birth control options to discuss with my Dr.

I'm really sorry to bother you guys with what seems like such a silly question, but my situation is just so complicated and i don't want to be at the doctors office for hours because i don't have pertinent information about my options. I want to narrow it down to 2-3 choices to discuss with him that would WORK for me.

First of all i'm an idiot - i KNOW this is stupid, but theres no point lying about it - i had unprotected sex with my boyfriend two or three times, wednesday night and thursday morning. We did use the withdrawal method, and he did pull out in time but as we ALL know, theres pre-ejaculate that has semen in it, so as a precautionary method i took Plan B. I took the plan b as directed, but about 16 hours after the first incident of us having unprotected sex.

I spotted a tiny bit on the Plan B.

I had already had an existing appointment to get the depo-provera shot, which seemed like my best option since i'm terrible at remembering the pill, but i keep reading that you're only supposed to get it within 5 days of a menstrual period, that it's effective within 24 hours if you get it within 5 days of a menstrual period, yadda yadda.

Here is the thing though, i don't HAVE normal menstrual periods. It could take years if i waited for a period to use birth control (This goes for the pill or any other method too as far as i can tell, they all reference periods as dates to start the medication. )

I have an occasional bit of spotting, and once every year or so i bleed for a month straight. I have PCoS which is the reason for it, but i don't know what i'm supposed to do for birth control now... what do you do when you never have periods?

I think the chance of me being pregnant is exceptionally low, since i think the withdrawal method reduces it by 70% is what i've read, and then on top of that i'm not very fertile to begin with because of PCoS and then on top of THAT i took plan B really soon after the whole thing, which is supposedly fairly effective.

I obviously don't want to rely on these methods, i want birth control as soon as possible, it's just frustrating because all of the information i can find relates to periods and i don't have them. I feel really abnormal. =(

Is it safe to get depo-provera in these circumstances? Do you guys KNOW if it would be effective within a certain amount of time if i don't have menstrual periods? If i did by some crazy miracular chance concieve during this whole event, and then got depo provera could it be damaging to me?

Is the depo provera weight gain caused by anything other than urges to eat more? I am told that is the only reason women gain weight is because they feel like eating more and usually don't track what they are eating and then blame the weight gain on the drug itself and not increased eating habits. Is that true, or if i eat the same and excersize the same will i still gain alot of wieght?

Is there anything BESIDES depo provera that is fast acting and effective that i wouldn't have to wait 2 weeks for it to work or remember some daily routine that isn't an insertable thing?

I'm sorry for spamming questions in one post, i guess thats enough for now, you guys can tell i'm totally confused and i really just need some help =(

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
(female)

TeaLady HB User
Re: I need some help trying to figure out birth control options to discuss with my Dr

You really need to discuss this with your doctor. He/she knows your history and has the knowledge of what medication will work and not work. You deserve a good quality visit with your doctor and don't be bothered if you require some extra time to get your questions answered.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
(female)

Bluebug938 HB User
Re: I need some help trying to figure out birth control options to discuss with my Dr

There are three methods of birth control I can suggest. However, I do agree this should ALL be discussed with your doc.

1-CONDOMS! Which, by the way, your partner should be wearing anyway. Pregnancy is not only thing you can catch! If your partner is too much of an *** to agree to wear them regularly then I say he doesn't deserve to have sex with you!

2-I think you should try an IUD. One of the main complaints is that it increases menstrual cramps, and since you say you never get a period, perhaps this won't be a problem for you. It is highly effective, idiot proof, and can stay in place for up to a decade. And if you are worried about weight gain, then there is a non-hormonal version that is just as effective too.

3-Abstinence. If you can't remember/don't want to use a birth control that requires some work, perhaps you would be better off not worrying about sex at all at this point in your life. Sorry to be harsh, but this is NOT a game. If you neglect to treat sex as a responsibility then you will end up pregnant or worse!

Old 10-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
(female)

alyssa1620 HB User

Personally I think the pill is the best way to go. Unfortunately nothing is fast acting. you're just going to have to use a condom. or not do it at all, which i know is hard. Nothing works within 2 or 3 days really. Not well. You could try the NuvaRing, but i think its gross... but you wouldnt have to take a pill everyday. Taking a pill isnt that bad, set an alarm on your phone, and then sooner or later you will just remember.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

I think the IUD suggestion is pretty good, since it's pretty much 'idiot proof' as mentioned, and it is effective immediately. The only problem is that I've heard some doctors prefer giving it to women who've already given birth vaginally.

As for the pill, you can actually start it whenever, you don't have to start it at a specific time, it's just that if you do start it at a random time, you need to give it a month before you can trust you haven't ovulated.

As for condoms, always a good idea, since the withdrawal method is terrible and really should only be used by people who wouldn't mind an accident. Even with your PCoS, is it worth the risk?

As for abstinance Let's see, you have a boyfriend, you're already sexually active, and you're here asking about birth control. I don't think that one's going to work out for you.

As for depo, I've read so many horror stories here there is no way you could EVER get me to take it.

Last edited by Thisby; 10-04-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Closed Thread