It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
(female)

geema7 HB User
Anyone on Ortho Evra patch with my background?

I am looking into getting back on birth control, and right now the patch is seeming like my best option. There is soooooo much info out there, I am looking for people who have maybe tried the same bc as me in the past or something - might be similar to me - and like the patch.
I was on the Depo shot for about 5 years. I LOVED Depo, stopped getting periods and didn't have any side effects that I noticed, maybe a teeny bit of weight gain but at my small size that was almost welcome. I stopped taking it this January because I couldn't afford it any more and since I didn't need it for the birth control aspect, I figured I'd take a break. Now I need birth control. Figures.
I really don't trust myself to remember to take a pill every day. I know I will mess it up eventually. And as much as I loved the Depo, I don't want to go back on it because it takes a while for your cycle to get back to normal - moreso than on the pill or something - and I may want to have kids in the next few years, so I don't want to have to worry about that (I'm 28 by the way). Not so keen on trying the ring...so the patch it is. I am worried about 2 main things, really - effect on my skin (I already have pretty bad skin), and on my sex drive (I didn't have one at all on Depo, and I don't want that to happen again!!).
Soooooo....is there anyone who liked the Depo as much as me, that has also tried the patch? I'm thinking maybe if we reacted the same to Depo, it might be similar with the patch?
Or anyone that can offer insight on using Ortho Evra? It's so easy to find horror stories on any kind of birth control, I just want to know that there are people who actually like it, maybe hear that it doesn't always make your skin worse or kill your sex drive.
Oh also, am I correct in thinking that the patch is similar to the pill and once you stop using it, the hormones are quickly out of your system and your cycle can start getting back to normal fairly quickly?
Thanks for any input!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
(female)

Celia1990 HB User
Re: Anyone on Ortho Evra patch with my background?

Hey,

I can only help you with a few things about Ortho Evra and what I experienced. I've never taken Depo (However it sounds pretty amazing--woah).
Ortho Positives: I am 18 and get acne. It's a bummer. But the ortho evra patch actually cleared it up pretty well. Even the week before I took it off, when I usually break out, my skin was crystal clear. So that was good. As far as sex drive, I didn't notice anything different on ortho. (Although I wasn't sexually active while on it..so I don't really know?) It's easy to remember, just once a month rather then 21 and keeps the period down to 3-4 days rather than 7.
Negatives: If you wear dark clothes, the patch is messy. It attracts lint like mad and is sticky. It's like a big band-aid to take off. So it doesn't feel the nicest. I usually had my boyfriend rip it off because it hurt. The stickyness also stays on the skin for awhile (a week or more), even with intensive scrubbing. :P Ah.

Compared to the pill though, I would recommend it. Once it's on, unless it crinkles, you won't even notice it.

Closed Thread