It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
(female)

april1101 HB User
how long to you have to wait to have sex after taking a birth control pill

how long to you have to wait to have sex after taking a birth control pill

Old 12-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
(female)

Stef2 HB User
Re: how long to you have to wait to have sex after taking a birth control pill

You should use extra protection for the first month you begin taking the pill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

april1101 -

When you start taking birth control pills, you usually start taking them in one of two ways: Day 1 Start or Sunday Start. With the Day 1 Start, you start taking it on the first day of your period, and then you're protected from pregnancy right away. With the Sunday Start, you start taking it the Sunday after your period starts (even if you're still bleeding). With this method, you must use a backup method of birth control for the first seven days of the first pill pack. After that, you're protected provided you've taken those first seven pills correctly every day and on time. With either method, it's not necessary to use a backup method of birth control for the entire first month, as long as you haven't missed any pills or been late taking them. However, some women prefer to use backup for the first month just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by kittywitty; 12-08-2008 at 09:15 PM.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
(female)

lisah10 HB User

i think u have to wait a week before it starts to to work but yes you should still be careful but im sure its a week it should say on your packet hope this helps

Old 12-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

EllieFrog HB User

According to the pills I've taken and every other piece of information I have read/heard, if you take it on the first day of your period you are protected right away; if you take it on the Sunday after your period you are protected after seven days. Nowhere does it say that you need to wait a whole month. You are protected after seven days, that's that. Do a search on this topic and you will find countless posts about it.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
(female)

beaniegirl HB User

my pill pamphlet and my doctor both said that since i was a day 1 starter (meaning i started on the first day of my period), i would have immediate protection. if you're a sunday starter, you'll have protection after a full week (7 days). i think most people suggest waiting a full month just in case the newness of the routine causes you to forget pills. it's like a safeguard.

i waited a week, even though i was a day 1, and my protection was fine.

Closed Thread