It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Can BC Pills Cause Miscarriage?

Can BC pills cause a miscarrige? I wondered because of the other pills I see available on tv like Plan B. What os the difference between the two?

Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User
Re: Can BC Pills Cause Miscarriage?

Plan B really isn't designed to be a birth control pill. It is designed to prevent pregnancy. If you are already pregnant, it won't work. It doesn't terminate a pregnancy. It is an emergency contraception that you can take within 72 hours of intercourse to prevent pregnancy. Plan B consists of 2 pills that contain a larger dose of the same hormone that is found in many birth control pills. So, in a way....yes it does the same thing as a birth control pill does as far as preventing pregnancy, but it is more of an emergency thing when you know that you are at a higher risk of conception.

As for causing miscarriage, I don't think bc pills nor the Plan B would cause miscarriage. They both have a failure rate. Some people still end up pregnant after using bc pills and some after using Plan B and go on to have a healthy pregnancy.
DS - Landon Russell...2/21/09
DD - Avery Marie...10/29/11...adopted by family.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

I don't know about miscarriage, but I think I read somewhere that the pill can cause birth defects if you take it when you're pregnant.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

With my first baby, I took antibotics while on bc, thus conceiving my precious baby boy. I continued to take them until i was over a week late and took a pg. test. So i took them for over 3 weeks and now have a beautiful and healthy 6 year old. And with my last pregnancy, i was on the pill, i missed one pill. just one. behold, my darling daughter was concieved. Again i took the pills until i was over a week late. She was born in June beautiful and healthy. so no, i don't think they will cause you to miscarry, and for me did not cause any problems.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
(female)

jackolantern HB User

Yes, it can.
I found out sometime in 2008 that the pill can make your womb hostile and therefore if you do conceive, implantation probably won't be able to occur because it's too difficult. The pill therefore can act as an abortifacient. This information is in writing available with the pills from your doctor's office, but most people are unaware. It lists the three ways in which the pill functions.

I went to a class on Natural Family Planning and they told me that the woman is not always aware that she's had a miscarriage if she's on the pill. I don't know if there are any studies on how often this occurs, but it kind of scared me. I had a baby last year and I was learning about birth control methods after he was born. Currently I'm using the Billings Ovulation Method which is a form of Natural Family Planning that does not involve any pills/patches/etc. but a constant charting of your body (cervical mucus).

<removed> Good luck with your research.

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-25-2009 at 05:28 AM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Closed Thread