It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
(female)

geekchic HB User
Exclamation Quit taking ortho-tri-cyclen - no period for a year

I was put on ortho-tri-cyclen when I was 12 years old for Acne. Over the years I have taken it and various other generic brands. I finally decided in January of last year to discontinue the pill so I could let my body get normal incase my husband and I wanted to have children (I am now 21 years old).

I had a period last January when I stopped and a one-day period that March. I have yet to see another period since and it's been a year since my last full-blown period.

I hear it's not uncommon for women to go 6 months without a period after quitting the pill - my sister is one off them. I didn't become worried until recently.

I haven't been to a doctor yet.. I don't have insurance and I'm waiting. So I'm wondering if it's common to go about a year or...? I'm also wondering if I can get pregnant right now since I haven't had a period? Or if I can get pregnant, can it cause complications?

Thank you.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
(female)

Abbieva HB User
Re: Quit taking ortho-tri-cyclen - no period for a year

I would see a Doctor ASAP. If you don't have insurnance try planned parenthood. In most cities there are usualy options for women who have no insurance. Don't let this keep you from seeing one. In the mean time, I would keep having protected sex if you do not wish to become pregnant. You never know when ovulation could occur and you wouldn't find out until you are already pregnant or having your period a couple of weeks later. Good luck. Were your periods regular before you began the BCP. Are you underweight or a avid athlete? Those are some things that can cause someone not to have a period.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
(female)

geekchic HB User
Re: Quit taking ortho-tri-cyclen - no period for a year

I talked to my sister about it.. she said her doctor told her they won't do anything unless it's been two years.

I am definitely NOT underweight. I'm a little on the chubby side.. but I am not obese. I have been under alot of stress lately but not enough over a year to prevent a period that long. For the most part they were regular before I got off BC. Within a few days of the same time each month and lasted about 3-4 days.

Closed Thread