It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

Sue21 HB User
Question First Day -OR- Sunday start???

I am starting bc for the first time soon. My gyno told me to take the first pill on the first day of my period. However, the pamphlet tells me I can do this, OR start the Sunday after my period begins.

I am NOT concerned about its contraceptive ability and how it differs with the different start times.

What I am concerned about...... What would be less of a "hormonal shock" to my body? I am taking the pill to even out some hormone issues. Would I have less side effects (breakthrough bleeding, acne) if I choose one start time over the other?

This is concerning Yaz if that matters.

Thanks

Sue

Old 04-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
(female)

Sue21 HB User
Re: First Day -OR- Sunday start???

anyone please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

If you want to make it easier for yourself, just for remembering, then start on the Sunday after your period. You will always be on the same day as what's listed on your pack. Otherwise you have to use that stupid sticker they put in the pack to remember what day it is and it's a big hassle.

I was always a Sunday starter and I never got my period on the weekend. It worked out well. I could never understand why anyone would want to start the first day of their period. It seemed like way too much of a hassle to me.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
(female)

boodles HB User

I think that the main advantage to starting on the first day of the period is that the contraceptive effect is immediate. If this is not important to you then I think I would go for the Sunday start.

Many moons ago when I was taking the pill the first day of period start was new - I think previously I had been told to take it one week, or maybe 5 days after the period started but use additional precuations for 14 days or something. However when I restarted using the pill and started it on the first day of my period I had bleeding problems throughout that month, wheras previously I had not. I felt that maybe it was because my natural period was not allowed to happen properly and my body to 'flush out' properly without the additional pill hormones coming into play. Could have been conincidence of course....

Hope it all works for you whichever you decide

Old 04-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
(female)

Sue21 HB User

Thanks so much!

Closed Thread