It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
(female)

satc HB User
After I stopped bcps.. What's wrong with me????

I took my birth control pills for 4 months and I stopped taking them for about 4 months. I started breaking out like crazy and I lost all the weight that I've gained (about 10lbs).. and I guess the acne was because of the hormone craziness... but what I've also noticed is that my breasts have shrunk! While I was taking my pills, they got a tiny bit big, but now it's smaller than my original size!!(the size i used to be before taking my pills) I don't know if that's normal!!
And what do I do??? I used to be a full 34B before taking the pills.. 36B while on the pill. now i'm 34A or 32B... it's kinda scary.
Is there anything I can do about this??
What's wrong with me??

I also haven't had my period for 2 months....

Last edited by satc; 06-19-2009 at 12:30 AM.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
(female)

jana83 HB User
Re: After I stopped bcps.. What's wrong with me????

What you're describing is quite normal. BCPs can wreak havoc on your body, either when you're taking them or when you stop. Missing a period (or several) is normal. So is weight loss and breaking out and yes, your breasts getting smaller.

The BCP make your body believe it's pregnant (that's why you stop producing eggs and the hormones make your hair and nails stronger and your breasts larger, your skin clearer, sometimes they cause water retention - of course, that's different from woman to woman, some experience the opposite effects).

Your body is probably somewhat in shock and will recover with time. It can take a year to get to the way you were before the pill. It took me about 6 months to start feeling like myself again after going off BCPs and now it's been 1 1/2 years and I feel normal.

What you may notice now that you didn't before is that throughout your cycle your body changes. My face breaks out a week before AF, my boobs are much larger in the second half of my cycle and quite deflate a day before AF comes. My energy level differs throughout the cycle etc. It's sometimes inconvenient, but quite manageable and I much prefer it to the monotony of the pill.

If you don't get your period by next month, however, you should see your gynecologist, they might decide to induce it. It's not good to go without a period too long (unless on birth control). I suppose there's no chance you could be pregnant? With breasts getting smaller and losing weight it's unlikely though.

As for whether you can do something about enlarging your breasts...of course there is, put on weight! If you don't want to do that, then you'll probably have to learn to accept your new body and buy some padded bras. Of course, your body will change and there is a chance your breasts will grow somewhat. Some women ended up with larger breasts after pregnancy, even though they went back to their original weight and they stopped breastfeeding.

One more thing: if you are considering going on the pill again, I urge you to consider well. It's not good to keep switching on and off the pill too quickly. May I ask why you stopped taking it in the first place?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
(female)

satc HB User

I actually stopped because I gained alot of weight and I noticed that my stomach area was getting pretty big, and plus my legs would fall asleep more than usual, and sometimes stay numb for a while... I would also wake up in the middle of the night because of this. This might not be from the pills but I guess I liked to blame it cause I never had it before... And yes, I was going to change to Yaz but after I read all those bad reviews I got scared.. thenn I realized that every pill has their downs, so I decided to just go off it entirely... What you have to deal with after stopping is too much.. it's not only the physical changes, it's also the emotional changes..(bipolarness-major moodswings, mild depression)

But I really thank you for the response!! I just hope I'll feel like myself again after a little while.. Thank you again!

Oh and also, I would so totally put on weight to enlarge my boobs but I always gain weight on my butt and stomach first THEN my boobs, so... that would be bad? If there's any way to keep my butt/stomach fat away but boobs going, do tell HAHA I don't think it's possible though (well depending on body type i guess)

Last edited by satc; 06-19-2009 at 08:29 PM.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
(female)

jana83 HB User

Sadly, gaining weight in just boobs is not possible. I'm the same body type and my proportions usually stay about the same if I gain or lose weight. Of course, I always gain weight in my boobs last and lose it first LOL.

The problems you're describing could very well have been from the pill, even though doctors might try to deny it. Our hormones are so individual and our bodies so different, there's no way the same dosage of the same hormone will affect all women in the same way.

I hope you're back to normal soon!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
(female)

pila99 HB User

satc-

It's been almost a year since your original post - I was wondering whether your hormones have balanced themselves out?

I went off the pill (Yaz) late September (after only being on it for 1.5 months and being pill free for 2 years) and 2 months later I was breaking out, feeling depressed and shedding a lot of hair. It seems like things are starting to calm down a little. It's been 8 months since I stopped the pill and I can't believe it has done so much. A few years ago I stopped taking Ortho Tricyclen Lo after being on it for 10 years. I had no bad effects and my skin actually cleared up.

I would love to hear how you're doing now.

Thanks!

Pilar

Old 05-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
(female)

satc HB User

I've actually been doing very well! My period is still not regular though... But it never was; it was only regular on the pills. I'm still struggling with my breast size... I think it shrunk even more, but it might be just me being insecure.
I was very depressed after I got off the pill, but now it's just during the time of pms. (When I do get my period. Haha) So, I think that's progress!!

I was actually thinking about starting the pill again because of my bad habit of not using protection while intercourse. That's the main reason why I got on it last time as well but the last time, I did not know what I was getting myself into. So it was easier for me to say yes to the pills. But now that I know the consequences and the risk I'm putting myself into... I'm really not sure. My mind says, "better safe than sorry!" but my hormones are saying, "please don't mess with me anymore!" haha... Another reason why I want to take it is because of my bad pms whenever I do get my period! But I'm really afraid of the possible acne (my face JUST cleared up completely!!) and most importantly, WEIGHT GAIN!! How was Yaz?? Why did you stop?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
(female)

satc HB User

Wow, I just realized... Even after almost a year, I'm still not completely normal!!! (unless I'm stuck like this forever???) Haha..

Old 05-15-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
(female)

jana83 HB User

I'm glad things have gotten better for you.

BCPs force your body into an unnatural cycle, they just mask your true cycle. Once you get off BCPs, your cycle will return to it's "normal" state. So at least as far as being regular is concerned, BCPs won't actually solve anything.

You could look into natural alternatives for treating PMS and for regulating your cycle. I'm sure a search on the www will provide you with some starting points. Also, I've had great results with homeopathy (as have many others I know), if you can find a practitioner in your area, I think it would be worth it to try.

A supplement called Vitex - the herb is Agnus castus - has helped countless women with their cycles (more regular, less PMS). You need to take it for a couple of months at least though to see an effect, it tales a while to build up in your system.

Also, if you're eating a lot of soy and soy-based products, you might consider cutting down - soy contains estrogen-like substances which can affect your hormonal balance. To promote a healthy cycle, it's important to have a good diet, stay away from fat-free, "light" etc. products, have smaller quantities of the real stuff instead (studies have shown that lack of fat in your diet can cause hormonal imbalance). Whole milk, cream, butter, etc. Basically a good, nutritious diet is key. Exercise can help with the cycle too, especially with the PMS. Also, if you're overweight, losing even 10% of your weight will have great benefits.

There really is no easy answer, though BCPs seem like it sometimes. You need to find out what works for you and your body and possibly change your life on all fronts. How about stress, by the way? It can also cause major problems.

I know that I will probably never take any kind of hormonal birth control again. I'll use natural family planning in combination with condoms or a diaphragm. Or I might eventually go for the copper IUD.

If you do decide you want hormonal BC again, you can look into the Mirena IUD. Lots of women have had great experiences and since it releases a comparatively small amount of hormones right where they're needed, the side effects are usually minimal, if any.

Last edited by jana83; 05-15-2010 at 03:49 AM.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
(female)

pila99 HB User

satc -

I'm happy to hear you're doing well! It gives me hope!

You mentioned that your skin has finally cleared up - did you just let it run it's course, or were you taking any kind of medications to help the process? For the last few months I've been breaking out like crazy!

I had been on Ortho Tricyclen Lo for 10 years and when I went off the pill my skin actually got a lot better and I had no bad effects from going off. Then 2 years later (after being pill free for 2 years and feeling good) I decided to try Yaz, to help me with a little PMS and the 1-2 cysts that I got right before my period. After being on it for 1.5 months, I was getting scary heart palpitations and felt really anxious all of the time. It freaked me out and stopped taking it mid-pack. 2 months later I was shedding LARGE amounts of hair, my skin was breaking out with HUGE cysts and the depression/anxiety increased. It's now been 8 months since I've been off Yaz, and 6 months since the acne and hair loss began and I can't believe how much damage it has caused. Luckily the depression and anxiety are long gone and the shedding has slowed down. But the acne is still kicking my butt!!!

Just like Jana83, I've also been using natural family planning with condoms. I've also been looking into trying a diaphragm. I DEFINITELY want to stop messing around with my hormones. I'm lucky that right after stopping the pill my cycle went back to it's normal 28 day cycle.

Besides the acne and decrease in breast size, did you notice any other changes (oily skin, oily scalp, depression, etc.)?

jana83-

Did you see any bad effects from going off the pill? How long did it take for you to recover?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
(female)

pila99 HB User

Also, did your doctor say this was normal? I've read on many forums that this is quite normal. But when I mentioned this to my GYN, she denied that going off the pill could cause hair loss and horrible acne. My Endo on the other hand, said it was common and compared it to post-pardum and the drop in hormones.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
(female)

satc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pila99 View Post
satc -

I'm happy to hear you're doing well! It gives me hope!

You mentioned that your skin has finally cleared up - did you just let it run it's course, or were you taking any kind of medications to help the process? For the last few months I've been breaking out like crazy!

I had been on Ortho Tricyclen Lo for 10 years and when I went off the pill my skin actually got a lot better and I had no bad effects from going off. Then 2 years later (after being pill free for 2 years and feeling good) I decided to try Yaz, to help me with a little PMS and the 1-2 cysts that I got right before my period. After being on it for 1.5 months, I was getting scary heart palpitations and felt really anxious all of the time. It freaked me out and stopped taking it mid-pack. 2 months later I was shedding LARGE amounts of hair, my skin was breaking out with HUGE cysts and the depression/anxiety increased. It's now been 8 months since I've been off Yaz, and 6 months since the acne and hair loss began and I can't believe how much damage it has caused. Luckily the depression and anxiety are long gone and the shedding has slowed down. But the acne is still kicking my butt!!!

Just like Jana83, I've also been using natural family planning with condoms. I've also been looking into trying a diaphragm. I DEFINITELY want to stop messing around with my hormones. I'm lucky that right after stopping the pill my cycle went back to it's normal 28 day cycle.

Besides the acne and decrease in breast size, did you notice any other changes (oily skin, oily scalp, depression, etc.)?

jana83-

Did you see any bad effects from going off the pill? How long did it take for you to recover?
I don't like taking medication for acne, instead I used creams. I tried benzoyl peroxide because when I was younger, it used to clear me up. But this time when I tried it, it made my face red and itch, kinda like a rash. So my doctor perscribed me clindamycin phosphate 1% gel and.. it did clear me up a bit.. but I always seemed to get rid of one, but get another one in another place.. and when my period came, not even the phosphate gel helped.. haha but for a while that did the work and one day i got a new face cleanser. And this cleanser really cleared me up and ever since, I didn't break out! Well, I just recently started breaking out but I think it's cause of my stress level right now. I don't think there's EVER getting rid of acne completely unless by genes. Even people who went through accutane gets maybe one or two pimples here and there... And even my mother who's in her 50's gets random breakouts sometimes!

Besides acne and change in breast size, I also went through depression after getting off the pill. I was depressed all the time and cried about every little thing that happened to me.
And about oily skin or scalp.. I didn't really pay attention cause I had to deal with oily skin/scalp ever since I hit puberty. I was born with thin hair so it gets oily very fast.

I think you should try some home remedies to calm down your acne. Maybe go natural than use chemicals. (But do try the clindamycin phosphate gel!) There are many home remedies for acne on youtube (I love youtube!) such as asprin mask, green tea mask/face scrub.. and so much more. A lot of them use honey, yogurt, oatmeal, CIDER vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, or tea tree oil. I hope I helped!!

I'm glad you decided to go hormonal bc free! Unfortunately, I'm deciding to go BACK on it. I've been thinking about the patch or the ring cause they seem so conveniant but I gave up on the ring cause of possible yeast infections. So I'm left with the patch... but the more I research, the more bad things I find!! I read 2 deaths because of the patch before, but just yesterday someone wrote about how she got a stroke and there were 23 deaths? Scared me so much, I don't know what to do! I know myself too well to say I'll use condoms (I know I won't) and I'm not about to get pregnant!! And now I really don't know which pill to go on if I do decide to go on pills and not the patch...

Btw, it took me a VERY long time to recover as well. When I said I just started clearing up, I meant really recently= since 2 months ago!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
(female)

pila99 HB User

Thanks for the recs! What cleanser were you using that helped with your breakouts?

Since dealing with this sudden and rapid hair loss for the last few months, I've found that both the patch and ring can cause hair loss WHILE you're taking it - so please be careful. I guess any time you're messing with your hormones - there are going to be side effects. It's weird because when I was on Ortho Tri Lo for 10 years, I experienced more breakouts than before I went on the pill and after I quit I felt so much better. Nothing bad at all happened - my skin cleared, my moods were normal and my sex drive came back! I still can't believe being on Yaz for 1.5 messed up my hormones so much.

I wish you luck on whatever you decide to do and try to do as much research as you can.

Pilar

Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
(female)

satc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pila99 View Post
Thanks for the recs! What cleanser were you using that helped with your breakouts?

Pilar
It's a Japanese cleanser by Shiseido. It's called Pureness. It helped with mine and I loved it but you might have a different opinion. My brother said it wasn't for him for it made his face/pimples red.. But everyone's different so let's hope it works for you!

Closed Thread