It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
(female)

PicoAnn HB User
YAZ - Unsure

Hello :]

So, I've never been on birth control. I want to start the pill pretty much for the sole purpose of pregnancy prevention - I don't have bad PMS, I don't have bad acne, and I don't get the worst cramps in the world. Once in a while my cramps are pretty bad, but they've never been consistently bad enough for me to want to take medication for them.

I consider myself a naturalist and am leery about most medications to begin with, so starting the pill is big deal for me. I had a gyno. appointment today (my first one ever) and discussed my desire of starting the pill with my doctor. He said that Yaz would be a good choice and gave me three months of samples packs for free.

Now, with all of the hype about Yaz and the recent "correction commercials" that Bayer has put out, I'm VERY nervous about taking Yaz, even though my doctor was raving about it. I was hoping that there were some women out there, who are or were on Yaz, who could share their testimonials with me.

Would Yaz be right for me - considering what I want to get out of the pill? Especially considering it's my first time using the pill? Should I just try the samples (after all, they were free) and if I experience any problems switch to something else? Has anyone had either great or awful experiences with Yaz you'd be willing to share with me? Are there any side effects I should be worried about? Would anyone recommend a different brand of the pill that might be better suited for my needs?

I know I have a lot of questions, but like I said, I'm very nervous, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: YAZ - Unsure

I would say...no. Ask for another pill.. maybe yasmine but i've heard they are very similar. I had what i considered bad pms, mild acne, moderate periods. Side effects for me.. the worst was fatigue. I thought it might be the yaz but didn't test my theory for 2 yrs! going off of it also alleviated some of my sinus symptoms believe it or not. I loved not having periods, clear skin, but i feel like i wasted 2 yrs. I wasn't in a relationship so i can't weigh in on the sex drive. I am much happier without Yaz.

I recently had my "annual" and asked the midwife what bcp she recommended. I also get hormonal migraines so that figures in. She said she was headache prone and had good luck with mircette which has been around for a while and in generic.

Since stopping yaz, i have found a few coworkers who had the fatigue.. it really creeps up on you. Since i do not have children or a hectic schedule.. i didn't really notice right away. But boy did i have a ton of blood work done (thyroid etc) trying to figure out why i was so fatigued when i slept all night.

good luck!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

mystiq86 HB User

I personally like yaz. I've been on it for a couple years now. I tried other bc pills before and had horrific side effects (and I'm not talking about minor weight gain or anything like that). Every birth control pill is going to effect everyone differently. Some will love it, others won't. I like that my periods are shorter, lighter and my cramps are a little less painful when I'm taking yaz. I say try and if it doesn't work, then try something else. Not a big deal, in my opinion.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
(female)

kumpulsivepicka HB User

Hello, I just finished my first pack of Yaz and so far so good. I noticed that my period was a lot lighter and my cramps weren't as bad. Honestly, I haven't noticed any extreme side effects. I haven't had any weight gain, breast soreness, however I have been breaking out with cystic acne but nothing too severe. I hear it takes 3 months for the body to adjust to the pill so hopefully yaz gives me the clear complexion I so desire! Overall I'm liking yaz

Closed Thread