It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
(female)

prettiestpon HB User
anyone still taking yasmin?

i wonder if they are going to pull this drug from the market because of it's risk for blood clots.

my doctor took me off yasmin, after using it for 5 years, and switched me to loestrin 24 fe because all the problems associated with yasmin.

i absolutely hate loestrin. i've been on it for almost 2 months and i have acne and very tender breasts. i miss my yasmin. i never had any trouble on it, and i have no increased risk for clots.

my question is there anyone still using yasmin and aware of these risks? i thought all birth control pills are associated with risk of blood clots.

i am 26, great BP, perfect weight and otherwise very healthy.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
(female)

ovt22 HB User
Re: anyone still taking yasmin?

yeah i am actually on it...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
(female)

Grizabella HB User

I'm still on it too. I started a thread the other day about developing IBS symptoms on it but nobody has replied yet. I have found hundreds of posts on the net with people saying the same thing, pretty much all of them say they are on Yasmin.

I have done a lot of internet research on Yasmin and a lot of the outcome is worrying... but then the whole world is on the internet and Yasmin is one of the more common brands. I still feel like I want a change though as Yasmin is one of the newest ones and I guess nobody can really know if it's dangerous or not until a few more years down the line.

Last edited by Grizabella; 01-16-2010 at 02:21 AM.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
(female)

Caree8 HB User

I suffered a blood clot in my brain after having taken Yasmin for over six years. I used to be a perfectly healthy 25 year old, great BP, not overweight....My only warning about Yasmin (as I've done a lot of research) is that it is the only birth control approved by the FDA to use a new hormone - research is slowly showing that this hormone puts you at greater risk for blood clots, etc than hormones used in older birth control pills. If you're at all weary about using yasmin/yaz/ocella, I'd at least look into the new hormone to see if you think it is worth the risk. Sometimes, it is better to go with an older pill as we really don't know the risks until we've done more research....

Had I known that Yasmin had increased risks of blood clots over other birth control pills, I would have never taken it. My life has changed dramatically since I had the blood clot in my brain (known as cerebral venous sinus thrombosis)...you owe it to yourself to make sure you do your research...don't regret it, like I do...

Last edited by Caree8; 10-07-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
(female)

ovt22 HB User

Caree8,
wow! I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I was on Yasmin for about 5-6 months. as soon as I started taking it, in a few days i became SUPER moody and mean.... and then it felt like the entire world was against me (they really weren't) but to the point:
I started getting major anxiety attacks about 3-4 times a day lasting about 2-3 hours each! shaking and all.... never had them before. my heart started murmuring... and my doctor said it shouldn't be from the yasmin... but my husband was convinced that the pill changed me... and so i quit and within a week i was ALL better.....
so for now... no more bc pills for me... no hormones....
I have lavora in my closet but i am scared to take it...

Old 10-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
(female)

Caree8 HB User

ovt22,

I'm so glad to hear you're off of the pill! I understand it can affect people differently but I do think it is important to 1) do your research and 2) get off of it if you feel ANY side effects....

I was miserable the 6 years I took it and am so angry at myself for not getting off of it until it was too late. Even so, I am a much happier person off the pill & with my medical condition (which is still limiting what I can do on a daily basis) than I ever was while on it! Regarding your anxiety attacks - I know of two people who experienced those while on yasmin as well...not sure if that's related at all but it does make you wonder how much hormones/pills could affect our bodies. A scary thought!

As far as taking birth control is concerned, I am scared to take any hormones as well. I have been thinking about getting the copper IUD as an alternative to hormones.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
(female)

mary1362 HB User
Angry Re: anyone still taking yasmin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovt22 View Post
Caree8,
wow! I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I was on Yasmin for about 5-6 months. as soon as I started taking it, in a few days i became SUPER moody and mean.... and then it felt like the entire world was against me (they really weren't) but to the point:
I started getting major anxiety attacks about 3-4 times a day lasting about 2-3 hours each! shaking and all.... never had them before. my heart started murmuring... and my doctor said it shouldn't be from the yasmin... but my husband was convinced that the pill changed me... and so i quit and within a week i was ALL better.....
so for now... no more bc pills for me... no hormones....
I have lavora in my closet but i am scared to take it...
Hi OVT22,

I have been on Yasmin for about 2 weeks now, first time on BC pills actually, I started it because after my last period was finished, I started bleeding like 3 days later, and my doctor put me on it to stop the second bleeding. It did work for a few days, but then agian bang! Now I am on my 6th day of continues breakthrough bleeding (not spotting, actual bleeding like a period) meaning I'm having a 3rd round of bleeding this month. since I read up here that it might get even nastier like the blood clot case, I'm thinking of throwing the whole thing into garbage bin.
My question for you now is what happened when you stopped? did your period come? How long did it last? I'm tired of bleeding, I've been bleeding for like 20 days in the past month and I feel very tired and weak.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
(female)

ovt22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary1362 View Post
Hi OVT22,

I have been on Yasmin for about 2 weeks now, first time on BC pills actually, I started it because after my last period was finished, I started bleeding like 3 days later, and my doctor put me on it to stop the second bleeding. It did work for a few days, but then agian bang! Now I am on my 6th day of continues breakthrough bleeding (not spotting, actual bleeding like a period) meaning I'm having a 3rd round of bleeding this month. since I read up here that it might get even nastier like the blood clot case, I'm thinking of throwing the whole thing into garbage bin.
My question for you now is what happened when you stopped? did your period come? How long did it last? I'm tired of bleeding, I've been bleeding for like 20 days in the past month and I feel very tired and weak.
I just went back to my normal self ad soon as I got off... I don't remember awkward bleeding... But having a light period makes sense for a couple of days after you get off the pill. I guess hormones aren't for everyone. Hope you can get your old regular self back soon! )

Old 07-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
(female)

mary1362 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovt22 View Post
I just went back to my normal self ad soon as I got off... I don't remember awkward bleeding... But having a light period makes sense for a couple of days after you get off the pill. I guess hormones aren't for everyone. Hope you can get your old regular self back soon! )

Hi there,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I stopped it the same day I wrote here (coz I was getting to the point of hating myself really, putting 3Kg's on in a week, continuously bleeding, headache, tiredness, etc.) and bingo! it all went away the next day... now I'm just having a light withdrawal period, and oh man I can drink again! :-D It's funny all the things those hormones can do to someone... Anyhow, I guess I'd stick with my old values of trusting my body first and help it with meds only if it is absolutely necessary....
Cheers! :-D

---
A hAppY NoT oN PilL GIrL

Closed Thread