It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

mwel HB User
Birth Control & Very Serious Side Effects

I wanted to post this for all women to read carefully. I had been on the NuvaRing for almost 6 yrs. Last year about mid summer I went to my doctor because I had been having this continuouse pain on my right side under my ribs. The pain started becoming unbearable and I had no explanation for it. After a sonogram and then being refered for an MRI I was diagnosed with having a Hepatacullar Adenoma. I of course didnt know what it was I was only told to immediately stop my brith control and to refrain from getting pregnant. I was asked to have another MRI and then refered to a surgeon. A hepatic adenoma is a bening tumor, but the threat of having these is that they can continue to grow with any BC and eventually rupture causing hemoraging.

I'm not writing this to scare anyone...only to advise you all to get checked for any thing you think may be related to your BC. I think the warning of this side effect should be more clearly announced as they do for other serious side effects. I would have never found out any of this if my doctor didnt take my pain seriously.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
(female)

vagrantpiper HB User
Re: Birth Control & Very Serious Side Effects

What was your pain like. From time to time I have had a quick shooting pain on my right side of my ribcage. It's almost like someone is poking me with a needle. Was your pain caused by your birth control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwel View Post
I wanted to post this for all women to read carefully. I had been on the NuvaRing for almost 6 yrs. Last year about mid summer I went to my doctor because I had been having this continuouse pain on my right side under my ribs. The pain started becoming unbearable and I had no explanation for it. After a sonogram and then being refered for an MRI I was diagnosed with having a Hepatacullar Adenoma. I of course didnt know what it was I was only told to immediately stop my brith control and to refrain from getting pregnant. I was asked to have another MRI and then refered to a surgeon. A hepatic adenoma is a bening tumor, but the threat of having these is that they can continue to grow with any BC and eventually rupture causing hemoraging.

I'm not writing this to scare anyone...only to advise you all to get checked for any thing you think may be related to your BC. I think the warning of this side effect should be more clearly announced as they do for other serious side effects. I would have never found out any of this if my doctor didnt take my pain seriously.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

mwel HB User

It started like a needle like pain and as it progressed the pain worsened and soon it felt like I was being stabbed in my ribs. The pain wasnt from the birth control it self but from the adenoma (benign tumor) it caused. Get it checked out as soon as possible. Its said that one in a million are at risk for getting one but check out the liver disorder message board and more people than you think are affected by these.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
(female)

Nants HB User

All that I can say is AMEN!!! Be VERY careful! I was on BC for 27 years. Switched to the Nuvaring when it first came out. Not sure exactly when that was... But is has been atleast 6 years! I have a tumor on my liver also! Plus all of the other things that occur for taking BC for too long!

BEWARE! Do a lot of research on what you are taking and the possible side effects. Don't trust your DR to know whats best like I did and I am now paying the price!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
(female)

Lilac Wine HB User

I'm going through this right now.
I am a 28 yo female that was just diagnosed with having a mass on my liver.
I don't know what it is yet. I have to go for a ct scan soon. I'm going to talk to another doctor today to see what she thinks it is.
Do you have to get your tumor removed?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
(female)

Nants HB User

No they have not had to remove anything so far. My cyst is 3.4 X 3 X 4 CM which I think is considered to be large.

What started the whole thing was I was having some digestive issues (diahrea) and pains on my right side under my rib cage. So he did some blood work and set me up for an upper GI, Colonoscopy, Sonogram, and a CT scan. Everything came back ok.. including my liver enzymes.

They did a (layered) CT at the 6 month follow up to make sure it was not growing. thankfully, It had not grown in size but I had immediately went off the BC as soon as I found out about the cyst (6 mos. ago). And he also recommended that too. They did find a hemangioma this second time but did see it on the original CT a year ago but no one caught it! Go figure! So we are going to do another CT in a year to make sure the cyst and the hemangioma has not changed / grown.

If you haven't already, I would immediately discontinue the BC. The GI Dr. had said the hormones can make the cysts continue to grow.

I have episodes when my right side hurts or is sensitive to sleep on... The Dr. is leaning towards IBS for my digestive problems... The additional fiber seems to be helping. But deep inside I still wonder if it is my liver causing these problems! When I miss a day of my fiber I pay for it! Which seems like the fiber is just a covering up an underlying problem.

I know this is very scary! This is the first real medical issue I have ever had.

When is your CT scheduled for? Need to stay on top of the Dr. to make sure they don't drag their feet! It is not doing your health any good either by worrying about everything!

Please keep me posted!

Nancy
< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-27-2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Please do not post, or request contact information, such as email address, phone or name.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
(female)

Lilac Wine HB User

No word on my CT scan as of yet. They were estimating mid July. I am pretty scared to get that dye injected into me during the CT scan. I hate needles :S

I was reading up on Hemangiomas and they are way more common in woman than men due to estrogen. So it looks like pill or no pill it is still a hormonal thing.

I am a little worried because I am 28 years old and married and DH and I may be wanting a baby in a couple years. I have no idea how this is going to effect it. I really don't want surgery to remove it :S

Then again i'm just jumping to conclusions right now about that it even is. There is a possibility it can even be cancerous.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
(female)

Nants HB User

The "C" work was also a possibility for me for a while... The bloodwork he did looked for a lot of various cancers..

It will be ok! I don't expect they will be removing mine... as long as it doesn't get any worse or starts growing they will probably just leave it alone.

Even if they did have to remove it... That section on the liver will grow back! Which is a lot better than having to deal with say... the kidneys.

I don't understand why it is taking them so long to schedule the CT scan. The GI Dr. had it scheduled before I left his office! And it was scheduled for the following week.

Now, with the 6 month follow up... I had to call the office to get that going. They hadn't even pulled my file!

I would recommend calling the Dr's office to find out where things are. Just to make sure they didn't file your folder away without scheduling... It wouldn't surprise me these days! Please stay on top of them until they call you with an appt. Heck I would call them every day! These Dr's are so busy things tend to get pushed out. But the squeeky wheel WILL get the attention! It's sad that we have to be that way these days! I have seen it too many times, you have to be your own advocate when it comes to your health.

I will add you to my prayer list. I know I did a lot of praying during those tests!! Please let me know once you have a date!

Closed Thread