It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

CDG2009 HB User
anyone use the bc implant?

I'm considering switching from NuvaRing to the BC implant. Does anyone who has it have any advice for me in regards to whether or not it's worth switching? With NuvaRing, my periods are extremely light and last about 4 days, plus I can skip it once in a while if I go to the OB/GYN and get an extra Ring. The only reason I'm thinking about switching is because my insurance is making it more and more difficult to get the Ring. They no longer let me go to whichever pharmacy I want, and the price went up to about $20 a month (after my $100 deductible every January.) So I'm spending a little over $300 a year on NuvaRing. Plus they're getting more strict with how often I get it, so some months I literally have to go to the pharmacy to get the Ring the day I need to put it in because the insurance company can't comprehend the fact that I need 13 rings a year, NOT 12, because a month does not equal 28 days. Anyways, I love the NuvaRing, but it's getting annoying and a little scary having to wait till the last minute to pick up my new Ring every 4 weeks.

So does anyone have any experience with the implant? I'm a little worried about spotting and not knowing when my period will come. I also heard that some people stop having periods on the implant. Has anyone experienced this? Anyone have any really bad experiences on the implant?

Also just thought I should mention, I haven't had kids yet, so I can't get an IUD. Plus, I'm not planning on having kids for at least 2 years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: anyone use the bc implant?

You can have an IUD even if you've never had kids. In fact the last time I was at my gyne's office, she said that increasingly more college aged girls are getting it due to ease of use and not having to worry about it for ip to 5 years. It would be painful to inseert whether you've had kids or not, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

I'm not sure what you mean by implant. The last time I checked, I don't think those implants that are put under the skin of the arm are available in the US, unless something has changed since the last time I read about it. So, I'm really not familiar with how it works or whether it's a good option or not.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
(female)

CDG2009 HB User
Re: anyone use the bc implant?

yeah, I was talking about the implant that goes under the skin of the arm. It's called Implanon. It's available in the US, but it's still rather new as far as I know. The other one is called Norplant, but I don't know if that one is available in the US. Implanon is a single rod that's implanted in the arm and can be left in for up to 3 years. The website listed some scary side effects, but so do all the other birth controls. So I was wondering if anyone has used it and could tell me whether or not they experienced any of those bad side effects. I'm a little nervous about getting Mirena even if I'm able to because a small percentage of people have serious problems like ectopic pregnancy and it can damage the uterus permanently which would affect my chances of getting pregnant in the future. We definitely want to have kids, but not for at least 2 years. So I just want to be extra safe and wouldn't want to risk my ability to get pregnant in the future.

Closed Thread