It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
(female)

Madeofglass HB User
Birth control pills causing fatigue and pain?

I started using birth control pills about three years ago (due to acne), and two years ago I noticed that my knee and my neck were even more sore... and then the pain spread all over my body. I have also gained 20 pounds since then, and sometimes I feel like a zombie. I'm fatigued and stiff.
Doctors diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, but I can't help thinking....

Could the birth control pills be causing this, or at least, worsening all these symptoms? Anyone else experience muscle aches and fatigue?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
(female)

dragonflytea HB User
Re: Birth control pills causing fatigue and pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeofglass View Post
I started using birth control pills about three years ago (due to acne), and two years ago I noticed that my knee and my neck were even more sore... and then the pain spread all over my body. I have also gained 20 pounds since then, and sometimes I feel like a zombie. I'm fatigued and stiff.
Doctors diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, but I can't help thinking....

Could the birth control pills be causing this, or at least, worsening all these symptoms? Anyone else experience muscle aches and fatigue?
Could be. I had an immediate and severe reaction to the pill when I tried it. I was fatigued, and depressed, too--so depressed I couldn't function, and while I wouldn't call what I experienced muscle ache, every last joint in my body ached very badly. I could feel even tiny joints that I didn't know I had. Even the tooth sockets in my jaw.

The Planned Parenthood NP who'd put me on the pill pooh-poohed it. I was later told, by a friend who was then a premed student, that body aches are a rare but serious side effect. If you experience that, you should get off the pill at once.

If you're only taking it for acne, which is worse: acne, or feeling like this? If you need contraception, there are other ways. Hormones are what lots of doctors push, to our detriment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

Madeofglass HB User

Thanks. I'm definitely going to see a doctor next week. I'm done feeling like this.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
(female)

dragonflytea HB User

Don't feel you have to see the doctor before you can stop the pill. There's nothing to prevent you going off at any time.

Hope your doctor is more understanding than the NP I dealt with. Lots of them push hormones and more hormones, unfortunately.

If you are sexually active, though, don't have unprotected sex. Theoretically, you can ovulate anytime after going off the pill.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
(female)

Madeofglass HB User

I wonder how long it'll take for my side effects to disappear after quitting...

Closed Thread