It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

Tamia008 HB User
Can I only take the birth control pill for 2 weeks?

Hi, I am going on vacation for a week and a half with my bf. I haven't been on the pill in years.

Would I be able to start using the pill at the start of my cycle before/during the trip. Then, stop when I come back. Is it effective for that time? Are there any bad side effects? Will it mess up my cycle? Is it even worth it to do it?

Thank you all, =)

-- Tamia --

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
(female)

SecretLife714 HB User
Re: Can I only take the birth control pill for 2 weeks?

i'm not sure why you would bother to start the pill for only two weeks just to stop. It's not completely effective during that time and yes it would mess up your cycle. you're taking a risk of getting knocked up

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

There is a reason why the directions are written the way they are. If you don't take the pill as directed, there are zero guarantees of effectiveness in preventing pregnancy and 100% probability of side effects.

Either you go on and take it as directed or you don't take it at all. When it comes to the pill, there's no in between. It doesn't work that way.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

Agree with Kszan. But I wonder if you can get away this while using the Nuva Ring... I still don't understand why you want to this, but since the Nuva Ring releases a small amount of hormones constantly, seems like it would work. And supposedly it still has effect if outside for under 3 hours... Though I wouldn't trust that 3 hr window, it is mentioned.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
(female)

CDG2009 HB User

I've been on NuvaRing for over 5 years now (switching to Loestrin because of weight and mood issues, not related to this topic) anyways... NuvaRing works exactly the same way as a pill because it releases hormones into your bloodstream, the only difference is it's vaginal instead of oral. When I started NuvaRing I was told by my doctor that I should use condoms for the entire first cycle because your body needs time to adjust to the hormones as with any birth control pill. So if you are hoping to be protected from pregnancy while on vacation, you need to start a pill or some other hormonal method at least one full month before going on vacation. If you are only hoping to control your period while on vacation, it may or may not work, depeding on how fast your body adjusts. Either way, if you still have time, you need to start birth control at least a month before vacation. I don't have any experience with the depo shot, but from what I understand, this may be something you might want to look into. It's a one-time shot that lasts for 3 months during which time you cannot get pregnant and usually will not have a period either. You may want to ask your doctor about it.

Closed Thread