It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
(female)

aprilhersh HB User
Birth control skin rash?

I have just started my 3rd month on microgestin fe 1.5. I was prescribed this not for birthcontrol but to stop my very painful ovulation. The first month I got a rash on my chest that started the week before my placebo pills. Same thing happened the second month this time a little worse and my face has had abnormal (for me) breakouts. While I was off the active pills the rash and breakouts seem to subside but have started to come back since I have begun the active pills once again this time continuing rather than going away for 3 weeks. I have been to my doctor twice, emailed my gyno, and they both say that it's contact dermititus of some kind or it's caused by some make up or something like that. And if it was an allergic reation I would have had the rash since I started the pills.

I don't think this is true. I have NEVER had skin issues like this. I haven't changed anything in my regular regimine except for the BC. Also, I had a similar chest rash when I tried nuvaring 2 years ago. I want to find out what could be causing this. Could the birthcontrol be making my skin hyper sensitive? Could this be a allergic reaction? Or symptom of an underlying issue?

Old 03-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: Birth control skin rash?

Hello ~ Yes, it is most likely your birth control pill. I was on Tri-sprintec for a month and developed a scaly, red rash on my neck and collar bone. It itched and felt like leather.
I stopped taking it not only because of that, but because it made me moodier than ever!
Maybe you can try a new pill? Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
(female)

Janaly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilhersh View Post
I have just started my 3rd month on microgestin fe 1.5. I was prescribed this not for birthcontrol but to stop my very painful ovulation. The first month I got a rash on my chest that started the week before my placebo pills. Same thing happened the second month this time a little worse and my face has had abnormal (for me) breakouts. While I was off the active pills the rash and breakouts seem to subside but have started to come back since I have begun the active pills once again this time continuing rather than going away for 3 weeks. I have been to my doctor twice, emailed my gyno, and they both say that it's contact dermititus of some kind or it's caused by some make up or something like that. And if it was an allergic reation I would have had the rash since I started the pills.

I don't think this is true. I have NEVER had skin issues like this. I haven't changed anything in my regular regimine except for the BC. Also, I had a similar chest rash when I tried nuvaring 2 years ago. I want to find out what could be causing this. Could the birthcontrol be making my skin hyper sensitive? Could this be a allergic reaction? Or symptom of an underlying issue?
My other post just disappeared into thin air?

Ok starting over again. Yes (imo) I feel your skin issues rashes and
breakouts may be a side effect of the birthcontrol regimine you are on.
The few others that I know that are taking microgestin also are having
or have had severe skin sensitivity (facial and other parts of the body)
My thoughts are not based on anything other than what friends have
shared with about this.

Janaly

Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
(female)

Taki1 HB User

I was put on Junel back in Feb and around the same time every month since I get a rash, looks more like a ton of little whitehead pimples all over my upper chest & neck. The doctor called it folliculitis. I was put on Cipro & it seemed to calm it down, but it came back next month. I was put on Cipro again, same thing. (They also tried hydrocotisone & Bactroban cream & nothing) This last time, I was on put on Minocycline. I was also sent to a dermatologist, he prescribed more Monicycline & Aczone for acne. So far it seems to be slowly going away, but it's the same cycle every month. I'll get it a few days into my period, I'll have the rash for 2+ weeks, goes away about 99% until next month. I also stopped the Junel the end of May. Now I am trying to see a new gyno to determine if it is the birth control for sure & what they can put me on now.
Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
(female)

Ksusha77 HB User

I'm not sure what exactly causes your rash, but I can only tell you my experience. I also had a rash from birth control (Yasmin). However, it was when I switched from something else to it. I noticed it was itchy (and at this point I knew it was from the pill). Couldn't get the hold of my doctor and within a few days, it disappeared.
I do think that it is more likely is the bcp that's causing it.
Maybe you can get a second opinion? You can be switched to some other brand of bcp, as there are so many.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
(female)

frog23 HB User

Very similar things happening to me. I was on Norinyl for the past year and about 4 months ago a rash started appearing on my upper lip sometimes spreading to my cheek. I stopped wearing makeup and using products..it still appeared. When I stopped taking BCP it stopped and while on placebo pill. I've switched to Tricyclen and it is happening again. I don't know what to do. Everyone I talk to says contact dermatitis as well because having an allergic reaction to BC is rare, but I think it is happening to us.

Closed Thread