It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
(female)

worriedgirly HB User
Unhappy the contraceptive implant (implanon)

i was on the pill (microgynon), but hated having to take it every day, so about 3 months ago i got the implant fitted, and for a month or two everything was fine, i had normal periods, but now i've been bleeding for 6 or 7 weeks in a row. it is very irritating, because i don't want to have sex while i'm on my period, and it's also worrying me because i'm not sure if it's normal. i've been on google and found out as much as i can about implanon, but i still wasn't sure. i went to see my doctor about it this morning, and she suggested i take the mini pill (micronor) for 3 months to lessen the bleeding. but she also said i could have an infection, and i will need to get tested at the clinic. i've never had a pelvic examination or swab test, and am very nervous.

my ex-boyfriend was a virgin before we had sex, and my current boyfriend had only had sex once &using a condom, so i've no idea how i could have got an infection.

has anyone had the implant, or have the implant, and know what's going on? is it normal?
i'm also scared about the possibility of cancer from the implant.. could i get it?

Old 07-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
(female)

GlitteryPunk HB User
Re: the contraceptive implant (implanon)

Hi, I'm on my second implant, and with the first I had no problems, but this last one I had put in will DEFO be my last! my average has been anything from 2 weeks to 2 months! I have no infections, but I have had alot of other side affects (weight gain, mood swings, depression, very long periods but light). Its a very convenient form of BC but I fear that it may be one of those "luck of the draw" situations...alot of people have no problems at all, but then alot having problems...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
(female)

KREgirl09 HB UserKREgirl09 HB User
Re: the contraceptive implant (implanon)

It's very normal. The only hormone in Implanon is progestin, like the mini-pill, Mirena, and the shot which cause very irregular bleeding for months or even the whole time you are on the implant and should be light. If it's not, or too bothersome I would recommend something with estrogen in it like NuvaRing or the birth control patch since you don't like taking a pill everyday. If you can take estrogen, these methods make spotting or irregular periods very unlikely. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!!

Closed Thread