It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
(female)

hopefully87 HB User
Smile is it possible to get pregnant while on sugar pill?

I was just curious because my Boyfriend and I are having a debate about whether it is safe or not to have unprotected sex while on the sugar pill right before my period. Is it possible to get pregnant during that time?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
(female)

SheenaMarie HB User
Re: is it possible to get pregnant while on sugar pill?

Yes it is possible because the sugar pill used for diabeties will increase fertility. It is a side effect to the sugar pill. I have diabeties but I maintain my A1C without pills for this reason. About three years ago I started to take a sugar pill and my doctor never informed me of this side effect. So, I continued to have unprotected sex with my boyfriend and in about 6 months I found out I was prego. It is possible, so my advise is too talk with your doctor about getting on birth control and use condoms to prevent pregnancy if you are not ready.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
(female)

frankieswife HB Userfrankieswife HB User
Re: is it possible to get pregnant while on sugar pill?

I think it is important to remember that birth control pills aren't 100% effective in preventing pregnancy, so it is possible to get pregnant during any part of the pack if you don't take the pills correctly, or if you are on a medication that counteracts the birth control. If you take your pills everyday without fail, it is unlikely you would get pregnant on the sugar pills or "inactive" pills during your period week. Because while during the sugar pill week you are taking inactive pills-they have no hormones, if you took all of the other 3 weeks worth of active, hormone pills correctly then they have done their job-they have prevented you from ovulating, and thickened your cervical mucus and also thinned the lining of your uterus... all things that prevent pregnancy. I hope this helps to clear things up for you guys, its a good question that you asked, and common. have a good night.

Closed Thread