It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
(female)

LiliBooBear HB User
Depo-Provera Withdrawals

Well, my experience with the depo-provera shot has been horrible. I just quit it yesterday technically, but I was due for a shot mid-February. Yesterday I told my doctor I was done, and just couldn't do it anymore with the bleeding, pain, irritability, among other unpleasant things. So I switched, but he did say I may feel some withdrawal effects from the depo since it was a strong dose. He's hoping things will go better if I take a BC pill too. But even yesterday I was feeling sick and generally awful. And today I feel worse?

What are the withdrawal symptoms?
How bad do they get?
How long until it's done wreaking havoc in my system?

Please, and thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
(female)

liz mcgee HB User
Re: Depo-Provera Withdrawals

I have been on depo provera since 2002. I had no side effects from this injection and I have to say have loved it for the entire time right up until lately. Who wouldn't love not having periods. In fact both my daughters are on the depo shot (ages 18 and 16). I am 43 years old and in the past six months have presented with a varying range of symptoms that have been very disturbing and tiring to say the least. I have been told that I might have PMR, MS, haemochromatosis. I have been to the doctors at least a dozen times since Christmas. It was only today that a friend of mine whose main thing is a nurse but who has moved across into medication management told me that she had discussed my case with a person in her profession. Her immediate comment to me was to get off depo. When I went on the shot in 2002, none of the side effects that are now listed were on the information leaflet. I have been in excellent health with no problems at all until September last year. I was shocked to hear that ALL of the symptoms I was experiencing were now listed as side effects on the CMI. I have experienced the following symptoms in the past 6 months - night sweats (3 or 4 times a night typically at exactly the same time each night), fever, serious joint pain, leg cramps whilst resting, tingling sensation that starts at the top of my head and radiates down through the extremeties of my body, constant dizziness requiring ongoing further medication (this is enough to make you want to die, it is so bad it drives me insane), mild depression, palpitations, elevated liver function tests (extremely elevated >7 times normal limits), chronic lower back pain, constipation, gastric reflux, chronic gastritis, ibs, mood swings, arthritic pains, a general feeling of malaise and chronic fatigue. My 18 year old daughter is due for her needle on Monday (she suffers from some of these symptoms already even after 9 months on the shot) - guess what she won't be having it and we are all going off it (my 16 year old has . I intend to continue with my chiropractic treatment and I will go and see a naturopath to see if I can alleviate some or all of these symptoms through natural remedies. I can't believe the stress I have been under for the last month when the testing began for my list of complaints. I can't believe I sat in the doctors office today almost in tears because my fear was I would have MS. I wonder if anyone else out there has any similar symptoms from long-term use like I have. Like I said I have had not one side effect for the entirety of the 8.5 years out of the 9 years I have been on this shot.. please let me know if you have

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
(female)

bartonse HB Userbartonse HB User

I have only been on the depo injection since April 2010 but already am suffering from:
- Night sweats
- Dizziness
- Palpitations
- Gastric reflux
- IBS (although have been suffering with this since my teens)
- Chronic fatigue

My problem is that I also have Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) so at the moment I don't know whether it's that or the injection causing these symptoms. I'm not having my next injection which is due in April so I guess we'll soon find out!

Keep us posted on how you feel once the effects of the injection wear off.

Last edited by bartonse; 03-14-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
(female)

liz mcgee HB User

Hi
How old are you. My medical friend seems to think my age has something to do with these symptoms.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
(female)

LiliBooBear HB User

Sorry, lots of doctor appointments.
I'm experiencing everything still, even though I'm off. And have also been to the doctor so much in the past 3 years I don't think I could count them. Night sweats, loss of hair, massive weight loss, joint pain, chronic migraines, dizziness, just all out horrible reactions.

I loved the shot too, for quite a while. I loved not bleeding, but once I started to feel bad I wanted to know what was wrong. My doctor still denies it had anything to do with the Depo and that Depo is a great form of BC. But I'm beginning to disagree as i do more research. Just recently my hips have begun to hurt, to where I can't walk.. And my lower back-pain has increased to a point where no standing position is comfortable. I'm 21 years old and used it for 5 years. I'm beginning to wonder if some of this will never go away.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
(female)

Robertosmama HB User

That's strange, I have been on it since 2007 with no problems, I love it.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:39 AM   #7
(female)

bartonse HB Userbartonse HB User

Hi LiliBooBear,

Have you had your FSH & LH levels tested??

Old 05-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
(female)

liz mcgee HB User

Hey there.

I have been off the depo shot for one month now. The side effects of coming off this needle are horrendous. Remember though, I have been on it for 9 years. I am SOOOOO itchy I have scratched holes all over my body. Despite causing deeper holes, I continue to scratch. I have no idea why I do this. The itching seems to become more pronounced around 3pm and worsens to the point where I am disturbing everybody's sleep at around 2.24am. I know that sounds really silly but that is when it stops. Also I have been having really disturbing dreams - smashing people's heads in, killing people. I am not a violent person so these dreams really disturb me. Also the aches and pains I have in my lower limbs are intolerable. I am still seeing my chiropractor but have recently commenced cryotherapy, which though incredibly painful, is giving me some relief and I appear to be making progress. Another really interesting side effect is that anything I like doing, I don't seem to be able to stop doing! Bizarre. I am so sorry it took my so long to write back but I got a trojan that wiped everything out and even had to buy a new computer...
I will continue to monitor this situation and give regular feedback,....but for the moment I feel like a junkie and it is taking all my willpower to fight through this time and not just go back and have another shot.
How stupid does that sound. What I wouldn't give for the itching, nightmares and bad feelings to go away. It is taking all of my strength. How poisonous must this **** be???

Old 05-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
(female)

liz mcgee HB User

I forgot to mention that I have had all the hormone tests done... here's the stinker when you are on depo it mimics what is the ideal and your hormone tests will return as normal...now doesn't that suck!~!

Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
(female)

liz mcgee HB User

I had not one side effect - been on it 9 years - loved it.. sorry to say it is absolute poison and will undermine your adult life if you continue on it

Old 05-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User

I hope you ladies don't mind me chirping in here, but for what it's worth, my girlfriend is on the depo for the 2nd time and she's very fond of it. She quit the shot originally for unrelated reasons and has gotten back on it a few weeks ago. She said her transition from going on/off the shot the 1st time, as well as going back on it the 2nd time, was relatively easy for her.

I did a little research on my own since I'm of course concerned about making sure the prevention methods we use are safe. A common reaction on the shot was it may work great for some people, but wildly horrible for others. Then again, if you do enough googling you may see similar results on the pill as well. The advantage to the pill is how many choices of pills there are, whereas the shot is just... the shot.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #12
(female)

liz mcgee HB User

Thanks for that veteran, but I have been on the shot for 10 years and loved it!!

Men should not have any input to this because you don't have ovaries or a uterus.

I'm sorry but the very insinuation that you have researched this more than me offends me greatly. In Australia, there is no black box warning on the CMI and certainly doctors prescribe this readily despite it being widely advertised on the internet that it is poison in a bottle.

Maybe you should look at the man diseases instead... or here's a thought, read through ALL the stories about depo and its side effects instead of just a couple of messages.

Hope I haven't offended you, but you are not a woman so how would you know???

Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #13
(female)

Wildcard HB User

I got my first shot in December of 2007. My last was at least a year ago, I can't even remember when it was. Yesterday was the first time I got a period in over 3 years which is ironic because I came here the day before freaked out that something serious was wrong.

Not only did it completely kill my period for longer than I anticipated (a year+ without any shot at all) but I think it made me gain weight as well. The worst I ever got was 160 before taking the shot but then I began working out and I dropped down to 130. With the shot, I shot up an extra 30 pounds despite being more active and eating healthier. I couldn't ever figure out what was going on but when I sat down and thought about it, I realized the weight gain began to occur after I got my first shot.

Not only that but it also slaughtered my sex drive. I used to be pretty healthy in that regard but now I can go days and don't feel a thing. I have pretty much no interest in sex whatsoever. It completely wrecked my relationship.

I don't think coming off of it made me feel anything particularly bad. I know that for the longest time, my body would randomly start giving me little cramps like it was trying to jumpstart my period but it didn't actually get into full swing until yesterday/today.

I'll never touch the stuff again, I'm still hoping my body begins to revert back to normal from the first Depo beating it took. =/

Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #14
(female)

Wildcard HB User

@liz_mcgee - Well, a lot of gynecologists are males and I'm pretty sure they know their stuff despite not having female parts. lovinthv8 was just trying to help, there's no need to be rude. Although I will agree that, outside factual research, it's hard for a man to understand. The pill can cause strange reactions, yes, but when you compare the pill with the shot, it seems to me that the shot is more "dangerous". Most doctors don't even seem to agree on how to prescribe it, it's quite ridiculous.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
(female)

liz mcgee HB User

I hope things improve for you soon. I was like I said on it for 10 years and have been off it for nearly one month now. I have no clue how long it will be before my period arrives. I thought the other day when I went to put my jeans on that my butt and legs were bigger. I was seriously unhappy. I picked up the bathroom scales and stood on them and it says that I have lost 3kgs. I know it sounds funny but I carried it around the house into different places and kept weighing myself. Being very physical (though not fit), and having a job that is 100% physical, it is interesting to note that my muscles have gone to some other person. I had the best muscle definition and now it is gone. The depo is the only thing I can think of. I certainly have gained cms to the point where my clothes are not fitting and I have developed a mushroom cloud over the tops of my pants. I don't know what I will do if the weight gain/muscle loss continues.
As far as your friend goes, wasnt being rude to him, just sick of men who think they are aware. And I am sorry if I offended him. But I have to say, even a man who is a gynaecologist has no clue and no right to comment because he will never, ever understand what it is like...no matter how much study he might do.
Any have a great day and I will keep posting as I go along in my withdrawal from this poison. If you could keep posting as well that would be great so that I could possibly see what might be ahead for me. I guess I don't have to worry about buying any feminine hygiene products for a while...

Closed Thread