It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
(female)

blueideas HB User
Can the doctor prescribe me anything to stop my period?

I had the implanon contraceptive implant fitted about a month ago. Two weeks into it I started spotting a little.
I now have a period, I've been on it for about 5 days.
The thing is, I don't know when it's going to stop, I know people have problems with bleeding with the implant.
I'm going on holiday in a few days and I really don't want to be on my period.
Is there anything my doctor could give me to stop my period even though I have the implant fitted?

Old 06-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Can the doctor prescribe me anything to stop my period?

If you're leaving in a few days and already bleeding then it's too late to try anything. Not sure about whether you would be able to take the pill while having implanon at the same time.

A couple of years ago, I was at my gyne's office for my yearly checkup. I was due to leave for vacation in 3 weeks and expected my period at the same time. I asked her if she could prescribe the pill just long enough to skip my period so I wouldn't get it on vacation and she said I was too late. She said I should have asked her 2 or 3 months in advance because otherwise, the body has already geared up for the next cycle and it was too late to change it cause it was already in progress. Based on that, I'd say that since you're already bleeding, it's way too late to do anything to stop it.

Sorry, I know how annoying it is to have your period while on vacation but I really don't think there's anything you can do at this point. And besides I'm really not sure whether they give pills to women who have implanon already.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
(female)

blueideas HB User
Re: Can the doctor prescribe me anything to stop my period?

Yes I thought that might be the case, when I was younger I have been to the doctors for the pill to stop it on my holiday.
The only reason why I thought it might work is because when I used to take the pill, I would stop to have a period, and get fed up of it after two days (I was a teenager and young!) and then start taking the pill again whilst still on my period and it would stop it after a few days, but I don't know if this is because it was already in my system.

I'll give it a try anyway, see what he says.

Closed Thread