It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
(female)

caisaco HB User
when you start a new pack of pills, can you get pregnant?

Both me and my sister are on Loestrin 24 FE. She has severe OCD problems (but doesn't take medicine to help her, blahblah) anyway, one of her issues is she is convinced she'll get pregnant with condoms, birth control pills, and spermicide.
She was crying the other day saying: "I don't know how long to wait to have sex after I start a new pack after my period!!!"
she said someone told her they need to wait at least a week after every period and let the pills "get back in your system" for a week or so

This interested me, does anyone know the answer?
I know you can get pregnant by skipping ONE pill, but how do people not get pregnant by skipping like four or five while they're on their period?

I am currently not sexually active, but now I'm kind of spooked and think I'll have to wait a week or so after my period to be safe. But it's birth control, you'd think it would mostly always work if you take it on time, have no medications that will cancel the effectiveness out, and work right when you start the new pack.
My sister asked her GYNO, but she told me she was useless.

Any ideas?

Last edited by caisaco; 09-13-2011 at 01:20 AM.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: when you start a new pack of pills, can you get pregnant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caisaco View Post
she said someone told her they need to wait at least a week after every period and let the pills "get back in your system" for a week or so...
That's not true. As long as you (and she) take your pills regularly during the active pills, then you are protected, even during the time while you're on the placebos. That's why it's also very important to start again on the right day with your first active pill because if you start late, THAT could possibly cause a problem.

Quote:
I know you can get pregnant by skipping ONE pill...
No, that's also not true. One pill out of the whole pack isn't going to make much of a difference. But missing more than one within a pack is a bad idea and it should be avoided.

Quote:
but how do people not get pregnant by skipping like four or five while they're on their period?
Maybe they already have fertility problems or maybe they are just lucky, who knows? The point is, you don't know how it would happen for you, so its' best not to tempt fate. So just take it every day as directed, use backup protection if you miss any for at least a week or 2, or if you're on antibiotics, and you should be fine.

Quote:
But it's birth control, you'd think it would mostly always work if you take it on time, have no medications that will cancel the effectiveness out, and work right when you start the new pack.
It does work when used correctly. Just like condoms work really, really well when used correctly. But too often, girls start skipping pills and doubling up all the time and then they wonder why they get pregnant. It's not 100% effective but it's pretty close as long as it's taken correctly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread