It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

leyla123 HB User
problems after stopping birth control

I stopped taking my birth control pills around 2-3 weeks ago due to some of the side effects. The past two days I have noticed a brown mucus like discharge. Could this be from stopping my birth control? What else could this be?

There is no chance I am pregnant and I just had my well woman exam a month ago and everything was normal.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
(female)

britty23 HB User
Re: problems after stopping birth control

I think the brown discharge might be a side effect bc I stopped taking mine suddenly and I got the brown discharge also!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
(female)

Roxanne1978 HB User

Hi Leyla123
My MD took me off Loestrin today afer nearly 7 weeks of continous bleeding; what i consider heavier than breakthrough but not as heavy as the 14 day period i had while on the BCP. She changed my RX to Tri-Nessa. I too had a "mucusy" bleeding discharge for the past 3 weeks or so before stopping this brand. What brand were you on? I will be starting the Tri-Nessa on Sunday. I have done research and it seems as though the only major side affect everyone was talking about was the mood swings. Well let me tell ya, talking about a mood swing..........have breakthrough bleeding and a 14 day period and there is a mood swing........lol

Old 08-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
(female)

frankieswife HB Userfrankieswife HB User

Yes the brown discharge, also known as spotting is a common side effect of stopping birth control pills. Usually when you are on the pill (unless you use that seasonale pill)you have 3 weeks of "active" pills which contain a certain dosage of hormones, and then one week of placebo or inactive pills which contain no hormones (this is when you get your period each month). So when you stopped taking the pills, your body stopped getting that extra dosage of hormones, which would cause your period or some type of spotting. Give your body a couple months to get back to normal and get used to being off the pill.

Closed Thread