It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
(female)

Kim78 HB User
Best birth control for endometriosis???

Does anyone have experience with a REALLY GOOD birth control to manage endometriosis? I was recently diagnosed this it, along with ovarian cysts, past June and I my dr put me on Lo Loestrin 24 and I had a REALLY BAD reaction to it and could only take it for 9 days. I literally felt like killing myself while I was taking it!!! I have taken 4 different types of combination birth control pills in the last 8 years and I have had really bad reactions to ALL of them. One of the bad side effects is HORRID acne. I woke up the next day, after taking the 1st pill with large, rock hard lumps on my face, near my chin & jawline that I'm STILL dealing with!!! My dr thinks I'm insane when I tell him of all the horrible side effects that I have to the bc pills. I have had my hormones tested because endometriosis feeds off of estrogen and they came back normal but my primary care dr seemed like a bit of a moron as to which hormone levels should actually be tested, so I'm going to go to an endocrinologist for more tests. My dr suggested the Mirena but I don't know how I feel about that....anyone have experience with the Mirena - good or bad???

ANY & ALL info would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
(female)

Sqweet HB User
Re: Best birth control for endometriosis???

I am getting ready to go off implanon here in the next week, and though I don't know if it will help with ur endo issues I can say the side effects i went through were backache and a lot of spotting. I liked depo a lot more and have read that it does help with endo but I would check with your doctor to make sure. Don't be afraid to go to another doctor either. I finally found one I really liked and she finally took what I was saying seriously. It sucks when your suffering and a doctor brushes off what you say is happening with your body.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
(female)

Kim78 HB User

I also read that high dose progestin, such as Depo, was good for endo but I also read that it lowers the body's calcium supply if used for more than two years because it's such a high dose. The Mirena is a low dose progestin but I'm mot sure if I like the idea of it sitting there for long periods of time like that....I WISH they had the same low dose progestin, like in the Mirena, but in pill form. That way, I can just stop taking it if I have an adverse reaction to it...

Last edited by Kim78; 09-27-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
(female)

Kimma HB User

I don't know if you have gotten an answer about this yet, but here's my input. I too was diagnosed with Endometriosis. I was put on Ovcon50(highest dose you can get..) and while it was the best pill I have ever been on, I gained 40 pounds while on it. My ONLY complaint about it at ALL. In the 3 years I have been on birth control, I have gone through 9 different birth controls. I know exactly how you feel about the adverse reactions. I went on the Mirena because my GYN thought it might help me lose weight. I had it inserted in January '11 and had it removed April '11. If you've never had a kid, DON'T DO IT. 1. The insertion was the most painful thing I have EVER gone through (although, they had to dialate me because my period always came and stopped before they'd let me in the office so they said screw it and dialated me instead.) and I was confined to the exam room in complete darkness for 2 hours cause I was dizzy and light sensitive and my stomach hurt so bad I couldnt walk. 2. Cramps and bleeding. CONSTANTLY. The cramps were pinchy cramps and wouldnt stop. They just got worse and worse. I ended up having to leave early from work and go to the hospital in April(stayed there for 11 hours..) to find out I had an infection around my cervix and the IUD had to be removed. I might be one in a million, I don't know. I just know that if you havent had a kid yet and if you don't have a tolerance to pain, DONT DO IT. Hope this helped. Good luck with finding something! I'm still on my search for the perfect birth control and I was diagnosed 2 years ago.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
(female)

Kim78 HB User

I'm STILL looking!! LOL! It's been about 5 months since I had surgery and I haven't been on any birth control since I had a bad reaction to the Lo Loesterin FE that I took at the end of July. Since my surgery, my periods are SO MUCH MORE painful than they've EVER been. I'm in MORE pain, in general, thatn I've EVER been in. I think I might give the depo shot a try, as I just don't want regular bc pills & I don't want to try the Mirena; I just don't feel right about having something stuck inside me for years. To me, it sounds like an obnoxious tampon that has to stay put. I tried to the depo shot when I was about 18 years old and I only took one shot because I had no insurance and couldn't afford another one. The only thing I had to say about it back then was that I was SO tired while on it AND it took about a year or so for my period to come back, just after ONLY ONE shot. I am already prone to bad facial break outs, so I'm HOPING that this won't exacerbate that problem and I've also heard that you gain a REDICULOUS amount of weight while on it too; water weight retention. I don't know anymore....ALL I DO KNOW is that this SUCKS!!!!!!! WHY ME??? NO ONE in my family has this...ALL I WANT is SOME sort of "normalcy".

Old 11-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
(female)

Kimma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim78 View Post
I'm STILL looking!! LOL! It's been about 5 months since I had surgery and I haven't been on any birth control since I had a bad reaction to the Lo Loesterin FE that I took at the end of July. Since my surgery, my periods are SO MUCH MORE painful than they've EVER been. I'm in MORE pain, in general, thatn I've EVER been in. I think I might give the depo shot a try, as I just don't want regular bc pills & I don't want to try the Mirena; I just don't feel right about having something stuck inside me for years. To me, it sounds like an obnoxious tampon that has to stay put. I tried to the depo shot when I was about 18 years old and I only took one shot because I had no insurance and couldn't afford another one. The only thing I had to say about it back then was that I was SO tired while on it AND it took about a year or so for my period to come back, just after ONLY ONE shot. I am already prone to bad facial break outs, so I'm HOPING that this won't exacerbate that problem and I've also heard that you gain a REDICULOUS amount of weight while on it too; water weight retention. I don't know anymore....ALL I DO KNOW is that this SUCKS!!!!!!! WHY ME??? NO ONE in my family has this...ALL I WANT is SOME sort of "normalcy".
Girl, I hear ya all the way. Its the suckiest thing to ever have to go through, especially when nobody knows exactly what you're going through. I am currently on Jolivette(progesterone only pill)...it's not bad, but my period came on full force and I feel like its killing me. I have no clue how anybody lives with this crap! My GYN says I'm out of options for different kinds of BC, so now I just have to experiment with different pills and see what it does. Good luck with your search! Maybe we'll find SOMETHING that works SOMEDAY. Hah...somehow that doesnt look like it'll be soon.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
(female)

Kim78 HB User

I asked my dr if I could try a progestin only pill and he said that I couldn't take that because something like that was for women going through menopause. I asked him because I liked the idea of the mirena, which is a low dose progestin method of birth control but I didn't like the idea of having something stuck inside me for a long period of time, so I asked about a progestin only pill versus the regular combination birth control pill. I tried 4 different combination birth control pills since I was 25 (within the last 8 years) and I've had the same bad reaction to all of them, so I figured I'd try progestin only, seeing as I also read that progestin works against the body's estrogen supply, which is what endometriosis "feeds" off of. If there's ANY way that I could avoid taking birth control to manage the endo, I'd be all over it because I don't like the idea of adding hormones. I have been trying to eat organic, in order to remove all excess hormones from my diet, starting with dairy....we'll see how that works out...I know, eventually, I will have to go back on birth control to manage this. I just have to figure out which one's side effects I can deal with....

Old 11-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
(female)

Kimma HB User

Thats BS. Its like saying the Mirena is for women who are going through menopause only. You have to take it at the exact same time every day for it to work effectively(which I thought I'd have a problem with and so far I havent had issues at all.) If I had the choice, I wouldnt have birth control for either reason I'm taking it(Heck, Id just have my tubes tied honestly...I dont really want kids...too scared of childbirth) I would honestly say to get a second opinion from a different doctor...thats what I had to do just to get anywhere(with both my GYN and my primary...my former GYN and primarys worked in the same building..you could tell, too..nobody cared.) I have had decent results with the POP, just havent had a good period on it(my diet and stress levels could also have something to do with the heavy period, but not totally sure). Other than the period, I've been pretty ok on it. I have been terrified to try norethindrone again because the combo pill that made me gain weight had norethindrone in it. I believe they have it with other progesterones as well. Gahhh...this all sucks. Why can't birth control pills be a "one size fits all" type of deal? Would make things SOOOOO much easier!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
(female)

Kim78 HB User

Yeah, I couldn't quite rationalize what they were trying to tell me with the POP pills. I kept telling her the same thing with the Mirena compared to the POP pills and them telling me that those were reserved for menopausal women. That just made NO SENSE to me WHAT-SO-EVER!!! For some reason, they keep trying to sell me on the Mirena and I don't like that they're brushing off my bad experiences with the combo pills, like I'm full of crap or something...I'm sorry but I am NOT going to use myself as a science experiment to try out fifty million pills to see which one is best. I just don't have it in me to keep going from pill to pill, like that. I could care less about the birth control being used as actual birth control; I just need it to manage the endo. I already have a 15 year old daughter; it would be nice to have just one more but if I can't manage the endo, it will make me infertile anyway. Childbirth wasn't that bad; they give you really good drugs for the pain and the outcome is WELL WORTH the pain! Being pregnant was the BEST for me! I LOVED IT!!!

The last bc pills that I took were the lowest hormonal dose that's out & the reaction that I had was SO BAD, that I just couldn't take it anymore after 9 days; I literally felt like killing myself while I was on them! AND my dr wants to keep Rx'ing me MORE combo pills with a higher hormonal dosage!!!

Last edited by Kim78; 11-21-2011 at 12:47 AM.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
(female)

Kimma HB User

Haha I'm terrified of having kids(I don't deal with them very well) so I still have to have it to keep the babies away. Then again, I'm only 19(soon to be 20) and not really in a situation to have kids. My boyfriend and I agreed we wouldnt have kids for at least another 5-6 years.

Which pills have you been on?
I've been on Mircette(plus the 2 generics, Kariva and Azurette). Mircette was alright but it was making my breasts sore along with other obnoxious side effects. Azurette made me go from a D cup to a DD!! NOT happy about that.
Ovcon 50 only made me gain weight...that was my only problem with it..
I tried another pill when I was on the Mirena as well called Natazia....noooooo....
Seasonique made me all blaahhh and my breasts were sore and I just felt off.
I have nooo clue which one to try if this Jolivette stuff doesnt work. She said something about Ortho Tricyclen Lo(which I have heard reports of weight gain and weight loss on so I'm mixed about that) I kinda just wanna go back on one that I can take continuously without a period. I was quite happy then.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
(female)

Kim78 HB User

I had my daughter when I was 17. I was terrified too but, honestly, it was easy, NOT that I'm condoning teenage pregnancy, AT ALL, but crap happens, you know, and it happened to me, so I just went with the flow. I was a senior in high school when I was pregnant & I still manage to graduate 6 months early!! Being pregnant was the BEST experience I EVER had!!! I had some issues with high blood pressure during labor but the outcome was WELL WORTH IT!! I'm 33 now; my daughter's 15; will be 16 in January & she's AWESOME!!!! She's a GREAT kid; straight "A" student. The ONLY issue that I have is with her "father", who hasn't seen her since she was 1 1/2 years old & still owes me almost $72,000.00 in back child support for the last 15 years.

Let's see - I've been on the Depo Provera shot (once; one shot), Ortho-tricyclen, Orthotricyclen Lo, Orthocyclen, Lo Loesterin24 FE, Loesterin. My dr wants to put me on another combination pill with a higher dosage of hormones but I don't want it (I don't even remember which one it was that he wants to put me on); I'm thinking of trying the depo shot again BUT that is something that can only be taken for a couple of years becuase it is a very high dose of progestin & it lowers your body's calcium supply; which stops once you stop using the shot. I was recently diagnosed with endometriosis this past June, after having surgery to confirm it, so I've read that the endo is a hormonal disorder, feeding off of too much estrogen and high doses of progestin are good for endo becuae it lowers the body's natural supply of estrogen.

I just had the same bad reaction to the combination pills, so I'm nervous about taking them again, or trying out different one's. I just DON'T want to side effects that I've had with them. The depo WILL stop your period after a while!!! I remember when I took the only shot I had, when I was about 18 or 19, I didn't have a period for a little over a year and that was just from ONE shot!!! It was GREAT BUT when my period came back, it was VERY irregular and "gushing"; it took a while to get regulated again....

Last edited by Kim78; 11-22-2011 at 10:48 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kim78 For This Useful Post:
liziano (12-03-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
(female)

Kimma HB User

If you decide to try one or 2 more combo pills, do something with levonorgestrel(however you spell that) or something that doesnt contain Norethindrone or anything that metabolizes into it. Sounds like you dont have a good reaction to it. Desogestral might be good too. Anything that isnt norgestimate or anything that doesnt metabolize into Norethindrone might work better for you. My only problem with Norethindrone was gaining the massive amount of weight that I cant get off now. Its why I'm so scared to try Depo. Tell your doc that if they wont allow you to go on POPs then to try something that doesnt metabolize into norethindrone(hopefully he actually knows what does and what doesnt...my trust in doctors is pretty low lately)

Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
(female)

Ayria HB UserAyria HB UserAyria HB UserAyria HB User

I dunno if this will help you, but I'm 18 years old and I'm on a POP pill called Cerazette. It's been great for me, no side effects at all, but like with every birth control; they're different on everyone. Look into Cerazette! It also has a 12 hour window for you to take it in which is brilliant.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
(female)

Kim78 HB User

@ Ayria: I would like to try the POP pill but for some reason, my dr won't give it to me; he says that POP pills are only for women going through menopause...

@ Kimma: I am SO SCARED of trying anymore combination pills at this point, it's just rediculous. I feel like a science experiment already...LOL! BUT I guess if I have to go on something, I have to keep trying different one's....

Old 11-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
(female)

michelle17 HB User

CONDOMS. Birth control made me feel super crazy. I had been on hormonal birth control for about six years and as soon as I stopped taking it a lot of my symptoms went away. My cramps aren't as bad, my flow is lighter and shorter, and I'm not as moody. Everyone is different, so the birth control that works for someone else might not work for you. I found that diet and exercise helped me the most as far as the pain goes. Yoga helps a LOT. Also, having sex during my period helps with the cramps. It's worth a shot.

You should be using condoms anyway, though. Good luck.

Closed Thread